AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I in the early stages of research for a replacement to my 8-yr-old RPTV. Catching up on all the latest technologies, RPTV vs. projectors, etc.

I've come up with a question that will help me decide if going with a projector is a practical solution. My room is ~26' deep and the largest size screen that would work for me is 100-110" diagonal (cathedral ceiling, so a ceiling mount wont work). Using the calculator on projectorcentral.com, there is no projector capable of projecting that size image from that distance. Is there any type of add-on, long-throw lens that would make my situation work?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
There are ways to ceiling mount on catherdral ceilings, or did you mean a ceiling mount won't pass the WAF?

So it sounds like you want something with about a 3:1 throw? That's getting pretty hard to find.

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but have you looked into the following?

Marantz has an optional long throw lens for the S1/S2 series.

Runco has some models with optional long throws.

Other than those, you might try the Barco, DPI or Christie models that are

marketed as small venue (rather than HT) projectors. These tend to have better lens choices since small clubs are more like your room size.

I think there are some types of 'add on' anamorphic lenses that increase the throw length, so a PJ with a 2.5:1 throw and an 'add-on' anamorphic lens might work.

Sorry I don't have anything more specific.

You should give Daniel at AVS a call, he might know of some 3:1 PJs off the top of head.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Mac. The "add-on" type lens was what I had in my head (again a brief search over at projectorcentral hadn't revealed much - particularly in my price range - that had a ratio that I would need). I'll keep searching for more information.

As for the ceiling mount, I think it's some of both. The ceiling is a scissor truss and i can't think of a good way to get wires up to a projector mounted on the ceiling. Plus, as you mention, it would almost certainly not pass the WAF.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Kevin,

there are long and short throw conversion lenses for some

projectors but they vary in the "longness" & "shortness".

They also tend to be very expensive unless you're

fortunate and get a b-stock item.

How expensive? is your next question, I'll bet.

I have a HS20 with a long throw lens.

The MSRP is ~$1500, street is ~$1200.

I lucked out and got a new/returned one for $400.

Marantz has a long throw option for the S2/S3

and it's like $3k+.

Maybe those beams aren't looking so impossible, huh.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh. Yep, getting easier all the time. That definitely is expensive.

Hmm. Maybe a floor mount under the coffee table... except for the dogs. Maybe this is why people get RPTVs instead. Sigh...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kevin,

I had a similar problem in a smaller room given placement options (with a high ceiling and a ceiling fan that had to stay put). Their aren't many options out there at what for me is a reasonable price point. I either had to go with a projector that would let me place it at the back of the room and still allow for a smaller screen size from that distance (my first choice) or place it at the front of the room and still get a larger screen size (given throw at placement distance). In your situation I'd go with the table mount option. If you use a projector with lens shift you could even place it next to your seating position and still have the image centered in front of you.

Just an option to consider.

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
You should try to bounce the image off a mirror on the reverse wall. Everyone will tell you that First Surface Mirrors are the best, however I am using a cheap $10 Walmart mirror for my X1 and the results are outstanding. Give it a try, it was a cheap solution that worked great for me on extending my image size due to the limitations of my room.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks shroud, but I think that would have the opposite effect that I'm looking for (unles you were to find the perfect, concave mirror. A flat mirror would serve to increase the effective throw distance, enlarging the picture size. What I'm trying to do is shrink the throw distance/picture size.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Would a sidewall location work for you?

There are some PJs with horizontal lens shift which allows the PJ to be mounted near a sidewall (or maybe on an end table to the side of the seating).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.