AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering setting up a projector and have not done this before (I use a plasma for normal viewing).

What I plan to do is install the projector in my office and shine it through a discreet hole in the wall through into the lounge, onto an electric screen. I can cover the hole up with a picture. It should work rather well - no heat or noise issues and with the picture back in place and the screen retracted, the whole thing should look rather neat.

However, this means the projector will be about 20' from the screen. But I don't want a 200" picture! I really only want to go to about 100".

Can anyone recommend a suitable projector with a decent long throw lens? Budget up to around $3500.

Or is there such a thing as a telephoto converter lens? And if so, do they mess up the image quality?

What do you guys suggest?

Cheers & thanks

Chip

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Go for the Panasonic AE700.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Definitely for the long throw the panny fits your criteria really well. It is also under your budget which never hurts as well. ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Chippy I have been doing some searching lately for exactly what you are looking for...a pj with a long throw lense.....but it seems that the Panny 700 is your only option any where near your budget or mine for that matter. They do sell after market long throw lenses but so far the only ones I have found cost more than the pj itself. If other options exist I havent found them so I am mulling over right now whether or not to take the plunge with the Panny. I have been a dlp man up till now and am not sure how I will like the lcd picture quality but most reviews of the unit make it seem that its pq is more than satisfactory and when it comes to long throw it seems its the only game in town!

KO

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys.

I had thought I would go for a DLP: I really like to have decent black levels and I am not too bothered by rainbow effects, so DLP seemed like the better option.

But I will investigate the Panny further if its the only game in town.

Does anyone know what the black levels are like on the Panny? Subjectively or otherwise? My problem with LCD generally is that the contrast ratio figures can appear quite high simply because the maximum brightness figures can be high. Then when you actually look at a dim picture is a darkened room, you realise that the black level performance is actually fairly crap. That would be a show-stopper for me, and I would have to have a complete rethink.

Cheers guys

Chip

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
If you want DLP, the Infocus 5700 has a long throw I think. I think the new optoma h27 has a long throw also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Panny AE700 installed exactly 20' from a 100" screen. My room design limited me to either a table-top mount at 11' (which I didn't want) or a ceiling mount at 20'. I haven't normally been a DLP man (older DLPs gave me massive headaches), but I did look at the Infocus 5700. Unfortunately, it comes up a little short at 18' max distance for a 100" picture.

The black levels on the Panny are quite acceptable after it's calibrated. Remember, though, that black level isn't everything. Quality picture, minimal or no SDE and motion artifacts are things you're going to notice every day when watching the picture. Black level is just one factor of many that will influence your everyday enjoyment of the projector, and it certainly shouldn't be a make or break part of your decision unless everything else is equal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Panasonic has a front exhaust grill, so hole-in-the-wall size and projector position relative to that hole become considerations to avoid overheating the unit. You may need a hole much larger than the lens diameter, and the projector kept a foot or two from the wall.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman
The Panasonic has a front exhaust grill, so hole-in-the-wall size and projector position relative to that hole become considerations to avoid overheating the unit. You may need a hole much larger than the lens diameter, and the projector kept a foot or two from the wall.
Thanks for the tip. I was planning on a movie-house style window and effectively using my office as a projection room, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I guess I do need to figure on adding 1 foot or so to the throw length though.

Chip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.