AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me say that I my question involves several components and I have been trolling through the posts for a couple of weeks now, but I can't always tell who to believe and who not to. I am going to buy a Samsung PN58B650 tomorrow and have just purchased a ton of A\\V stuff from a doctor, so it is all new to me. Here is my current setup:

Harman Kardon AVR-635 7.1 receiver powering Infinity Beta 50 fronts, Infinity CS360 Center, Infinity CSW-10 with Rabos Subwoofer, and 4 Polk RC80i rear and surroung speakers filling out the rear.

With my new Samsung purchase approaching, I am wondering if I need to update the receiver. The AVR-635 has no HDMI inputs, and I have had my eye on the Denon AVR-790 as a possible replacement because of the 1080p upscaling.

My question is, do I really need to replace the AVR-635? Currently I am using HDMI from my PS3 (also doubling as BluRay player and media center) and optical into the HK for audio. The same setup with my Motorola HD cable box. My main reason for considering the upgrade is because a lot of the channels we watch on the cable box are in SD and I'm wondering how well it will look if the receiver upscales everything to 1080p. I have also read that the PN58B650 Sammy plasma will also upscale, so what should I do? I know the original price of the HK was over 1200 and the AVR-790 is around 400, so I'm wondering if I get the Denon, if i will regret it. Thoughts please.....and thank you.

·
Registered
15,953 Posts
All plasmas will automatically upscale to their native resolution (1080p for that Samsung), so no, you don't need to buy a new receiver, at least not for its upscaling capability. IMO, the only reason to upgrade is if you like the audio better with the Denon. If it was me, I'd rather put the money into upgrading your BD player to one with good analog audio outs to your receiver.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillokc /forum/post/16945241

So you don't think the PS3 is a suitable BD player? Why analog audio out versus digital? Any suggestions for BD Player?

the PS3 is a good BD player plus of course you get the gaming as well.

for an excellent stand alone dvd and BluRay player you should look into the Oppo BDP-83

·
Registered
15,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillokc /forum/post/16945241

So you don't think the PS3 is a suitable BD player? Why analog audio out versus digital? Any suggestions for BD Player?

It's a decent player, but there are better. The Oppo is pretty expensive. The Pioneer 51 is very heavily discounted (about $150, if you can still find one) and has outstanding audio DACs (which you can take advantage of with analog outs to your receiver). Analog outs allow you to get lossless audio despite having a receiver without an HDMI input (I don't believe you get lossless audio with optical link).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.