AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have read conflicting info regarding proper connection to ensure CEC functionality (so I can use my TV remote for soundbar volume control) and of course optimal sound output. I've searched high and low but couldn't seem to find a clear cut answer.

So my simple question is- Do I need to connect an optical cord from the vht215 soundbar into the TV Panny TH-50PZ80U (Non-ARC) in addition to the HDMI for CEC?

Here's the skinny:

-Uverse Cable box HDMI out to Soundbar (in)

-Panny Blu-Ray HDMI out to Soundbar (in)

-will not watch TV OTA nor any local sound on TV

I've read where at least one person here experienced complete lack-of audio issues using solely the HDMI connection out from the soundbar into a NON-arc TV, despite all source components plugged directly into sound bar inputs via hdmi.... This person resolved issue by adding an optical cord in addition to HDMI....

PS if anyone has compared the Vizio VHT215 to the Panny HTB520 and has insight on their preference, please do voice your opinion!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
With your setup, no sound output coming from the TV, both devices to the Soundbar via HDMI and soundbar to TV via HDMI should allow both to function without issue.

Have not listened to Panasonic audio in three or four years. At that time, they were not in the same class as Vizio, Sony, JVC or Yamaha. However, they have made some changes to both drivers and electronics that on paper seem quite promising. If I have the opportunity to audition one in the near future, I wlll update the forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts