AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the maximum recommended distance that an rca cable can be run before any issues may arise? Reason I ask is because I'm considering purchasing some powered surrounds and a second sub and my avr has only unbalanced outs. So, I'd have to run an rca cable about 30' for one of the surrounds, 50-55' for the surround and 50' for the sub. Well, I'd probably run xlr cables in-wall but it's not like that would make it balanced. I'd really appreciate any advice on this subject.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The maximum distance you can run unbalanced noise-free depends entirely upon your local electromagnetic environment and how the cables are placed.

Just run temporary RCA cables and see if it works. If you're getting hums, pops or other noises, look into options such as the baluns mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/19582416

What is the maximum recommended distance that an rca cable can be run before any issues may arise? Reason I ask is because I'm considering purchasing some powered surrounds and a second sub and my avr has only unbalanced outs. So, I'd have to run an rca cable about 30' for one of the surrounds, 50-55' for the surround and 50' for the sub. Well, I'd probably run xlr cables in-wall but it's not like that would make it balanced. I'd really appreciate any advice on this subject.

I wouldn't use unbalanced interconnect for more than 15-20'. They may pick up too much hum. I recommend to take one cable and try. If result is not acceptable, get something like this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...8485-/555-8485 (you probably need two of them).

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19582589

You might consider getting some baluns and running cat 5.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=183-600

That's a pretty nice idea. Kinda pricey considering the surrounds were only $350 for the pair but if it works then it works. Thanks Michael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/19582729

The maximum distance you can run unbalanced noise-free depends entirely upon your local electromagnetic environment and how the cables are placed.

Just run temporary RCA cables and see if it works. If you're getting hums, pops or other noises, look into options such as the baluns mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/19582754

I wouldn't use unbalanced interconnect for more than 15-20'. They may pick up too much hum. I recommend to take one cable and try. If result is not acceptable, get something like this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...8485-/555-8485 (you probably need two of them).

I'll give an unbalanced run a shot since I have a 60' rca cable from way back when and see how it goes. If it doesn't work I'm leaning toward the balun.

Thanks a bunch for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.