Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

What kind of LONG cables do you use for your plasma? I am looking at >15 feet cables (plasma and A/V in opposite side of room).

1) VGA cables for PC. I'm thinking of hooking up a PC to my plasma. Any suggestion for >15' VGA cables? Is this a good one?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=2075322010

2) Any suggestion for moderate priced >15' S-Video and component cables?

Comments appreciated! :)

Ciao.

Feathersnake

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by feathersnake
Hi:

What kind of LONG cables do you use for your plasma? I am looking at >15 feet cables (plasma and A/V in opposite side of room).

1) VGA cables for PC. I'm thinking of hooking up a PC to my plasma. Any suggestion for >15' VGA cables? Is this a good one?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=2075322010

2) Any suggestion for moderate priced >15' S-Video and component cables?

Comments appreciated! :)

Ciao.

Feathersnake
I'm putting together a HTPC and am trying to figure out connections myself. I'm using short component inputs to my 42" panny now, but am considering a 25" vga cable + breakout after I move my equipment into a closet.

Something like this.

For short cables, enexpensive is probably ok, but for long runs good cables actually become a factor.

I've just started a search on this forum looking for posts discussing HTPC hookups to plasma, in particular the panny. If anyone wants to share their connection information that hasn't done so on this forum yet, I'd also be grateful for some tips.

Thanks! --Karl

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A site you might want to visit is www.cablewholesale.com. They recommend SVGA cables for runs over 15 feet and list several which are pretty reasonably priced. I have ordered some of their ordinary VGA extension cables to connect my PC to a Panasonic plasma - will know how they work in a few days!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
A site you might want to visit is www.cablewholesale.com. They recommend SVGA cables for runs over 15 feet and list several which are pretty reasonably priced. I have ordered some of their ordinary VGA extension cables to connect my PC to a Panasonic plasma - will know how they work in a few days!
Steuert,

Let us know how the cables from cablewholesale work. I am considering them also (25' run of VGA to VGA or maybe VGA to 5xBNC) for my run from a Sony HD200 to my 42" Panny upstairs.

The prices are definitely right at CW and hopefully the quality matches.

Anyone else that is looking at ordering from them... I found a 15% discount code in a magazine (PCM2246) that will save you even more.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
For what it's worth, I just installed a 35ft run of 7712 Belden Cable for my component video. It's a 5 coax snake; low loss, very flexible, and it works GREAT! I am using 3 of the coax's in the snake for component input, and the other two for Svideo(simple adapter required).

Kurt at http://www.bluejeanscable.com - did a good job!

H.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the link to bluejeans. It seems a good, slightly less expensive alternative to betercables.

I'm thinking now of going straight vga from my htpc to my panasonic.

See: here.

feathersnake: Did you ever decide which way you are going with your cables?

--Karl

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Major Astro:

I'm still thinking but most likely, I will run a VGA cable from my PC to the plasma. Since I will be hiding the wires inside the wall and underneath the floor, I will include ALL necessary wires and cables so that I dont need to go back in the wall again. That being said, I am now shopping for LONG cables and wires such as VGA cable, S-Video and component cables, speaker wires, power cord... all over 15 feet long. I will be hooking up a 42" Samsung in a week or so.

Are you using a special software for your HTPC, or u are going to use ur PC as a normal computer and the plasma as your monitor?

Feathersnake

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Cablewholesale.com

I received the HD 15 VGA cables I ordered from these guys today. I hooked up a 40 foot run from my computer to the plasma, and it seems to work fine. BTW, these are their regular cables, not the SVGA's they recommend for runs over 15 ft. The cables are strictly no-name, except for a "Made in China" sticker on the package. The cables, as well as some other odds and ends of stuff I ordered, seem to be sturdily made.

Their service was prompt and the shipment was well packed. They provide a UPS tracking number upon shipment. A few hours after placing the order I realized I had overlooked one item and e-mailed them, requesting that it be added. I received a prompt acknowledgement via e-mail, and they included the item with my shipment. Try doing this with an outfit like Dell!

They have a minimum order of $20, and overcharge you a few bucks for shipping, but overall they offer good service, good quality, and excellent prices.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Steurt,

I also ordered through cablewholesale.com and had the same pleasant experience with their process (fast, informative emails, quick delivery). I ordered the 25' SVGA VGA-5BNC breakout and a 25' Svid w/audio. Both cables look very well made.

I ran them through my wall (pre sheetrock) so I wont know how good they work until I move in :( But the price was very reasonable and when I asked their tech dept, they said they are all triple shielded...so it should be good.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have been using the SVGA cables from cablewholesale for over a year in one of my setups (Samsung MP150 LCD Monitor/TV in kitchen, computer in basement in wiring room) and the quality of the cables is exceptional. The cables are well shielded, and include nice beefy ferrite beads at either end (for eliminating interference?).

I'm using a 25ft for this, and I see absolutely no degredation of the picture (1024x768 rez). I would have no problem using this cable to drive my plasma....in fact, I'll probably purchase another from them when I build out my HT room.

I also previously used one of their vga->bnc breakout cables to hook up my AccessDTV card....high quality cable, and it worked great.

Cheers,

Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.