AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure this is the right area for this post (but everyone is so helpful, I'm sure I'll get some help). I'm working on my hometheater in my basement (YEA!!), and I have to decide where I will put the components. The biggest part of the decission will be in regards to cables. Either I am going to have to run LONG cables to my front speakers and have short video cables to my projector OR I can have short cables to my speakers and LONG cables to my projector. Which is better (if either)? That is, which signal will be degraded the most over the distance (about 30 to 40 feet). HELP!! Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
Degradation of the video image will be much more noticable because our eyes are much better at distinguishing subtle differences than our hearing. Long speaker cables can be significantly cheaper and easier to run than long, high quality, video cables.

Having the equipment rack behind you has its own advantages and disadvantages, of course. Fortunately the projection screen is quite good at reflecting infrared signals, too.

In other words, I suspect that having the components close to the projector will be the better choice.

·
Banned
13 Posts
It doesn't matter if you use low-gauge cable and keep the runs under 30'.

Intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer.

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dhanks
Intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer.
If it was so obvious the member wouldn't have started this thread asking the question. Doug, I ask you again, please quit offending members with your snide comments. Note this thread was reported by another forum member who found this comment offensive.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think it depends on which you value more- good video or good sound. You will suffer some degradation from either with long cable runs.

If you value the sound more (like me), you need short cable runs. About 20 feet is as far as I would push it with most speaker cables. Above this you begin to run into trouble. I would, however, rather have long runs of speaker cables than interconnects.

One solution is to place the video components near the projector/tv and have short video runs, and place the audio components (preamp, amp, CD) near the speakers and just have long audio interconnects running between the Sat/DVD and preamp. I don't know about how fiber optic/toslink functuns for long runs, but it may suffer less degradation than standard wire.

Let me know if you want specific wire recommendation, and post a little more about your system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would use short speaker cables and longer video cables. The video cables, providing they are broadcast quality (Belden,Gepco etc..) are designed for long runs and are shielded.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Can you give us a little more info? Especially, are you using separates or are you using a AV Receiver? If you are using separates you can have the best of both worlds.

For audio, if you have to chose, long interconnects and short speaker cables are the preference. For video the shorter the better, at least for S-VHS cables. If you are using separates put the video source close to the projector and run longer interconnects. Put the amps as close to the speakers as possible and again, run longer interconnects.

If you are not using separates, keep the video run short and go with the longer speaker runs.

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
I also use short speaker cables and long balanced interconnects for audio; but I also have a 5M RGB V/H Sync wideband component video cable run from my Dwin Transcanner 2 to my Dwin HD-700 CRT Projector.

I'm afraid video cabling can also degrade video quality, just like same with audio cabling for audio. I had a 8M run of Better Cables Ultra from the TS2 to my projector. Last year, I demod the then new Better Cables Silver Serpent but returned it, finding that I had some loss of black level and detail compared to the Ultra cabling. But recently, I changed to Wireworld Gold Starlight III+ wideband component cabling finding a really nice picture improvement - I did shorten the run to 5M, and I am also assuming that the silver video cabling provides for lower signal loss.

So I would say its a situation of what you prefer and trade-offs.

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
One thing. If you merely use a S-Video cable to connect, you could likely go 30 feet or more with a powered S-Video cable from Camelot Technologies and minimize any loss. I haven't tried it, no need for this in my system, so this is "hearsay" on my part.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now I have a 36" Tube... but as part of the finishing touches on the Home Theater I will be getting a dig. projector (probably an HT300). Right now I have a receiver, but am going to seperates (after the projector). The only way I can afford any of this is improve things in steps. (First the projector, then seperates, then new speakers). I guess the big thing is, I don't want to make any "extra" holes in my walls (my wife has already asked me if all this is necessary...of course it is:) ). I appreciate all your help.

As far as my personal preference goes, I am more visually oriented, so the video signal is more important (but the audio component is very important to me too). I plan on using balanced interconections between the pre-amp and amp...once I have them. In the meanwhile, it sounds like running 12 gauge speaker wire as the long from the rear of the room (near the projector) to the front will fit my needs best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.