Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ppl,

I could use some help me with my setup.

Would one of the following sound better than the other, or would they sound the same?

1 - A preamp to 40 ft of XLR to a mono amp with 6†(six inches) of 10awg speaker cable.

Or

2 - A preamp to 2.5 ft of XLR to a mono amp with 40 ft of 10awg speaker cable

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
648 Posts
According to "The Stereophile Guide to Home Theater" http://www.guidetohometheater.com/printarchives.cgi?89

Its better to run 40 ft of XLR with 6" of speaker cable.

This might make less sense if the bass is self powered though.

I'm looking at the Musical Fidelity monoblocks using low level interconnects with very short Kimber Kable speaker wire. I also have plans to make my own speaker stands using granite and carpet spikes from Parts Express.

Now, if I only had $4,000.00 in "spare' cash! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,

Thanks for the replys.

BTW -

Swampfox -

I'm using Maggie 1.6/qr speakers as fronts with Bryston PowerPac 300 SST amps.

Maggie 12/qr speakers as surrounds with Bryston PowerPac 120 amps.

Showard -

Thanks for the article I'm about to read it.

If anyone else has an answer, please feel free to post.

Later,

B

·
Registered
568 Posts
I original had short XLRs (1m) interconnects with 8m speaker cable runs, and I switched to 7m XLRs with about 5 ft of speaker cable, and it made an interesting difference. I wouldn't call it night and day, but it's quieter and blacker, with *slightly* better detail in the treble.

Pre/pro: Classe SSP-75; main power amp: Classe CA-200; speakers: Martin Logan Odyssey; Interconnects and speaker cables are Cardas Neutral Reference.

The change was fairly expensive due to the number of cables involved. I'm not sure it was worth the difference in $, although the sonic difference is clearly audible.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Genrally the reason to use short wires from amp to speakers is for damping factor which is the ratio of speaker impedance to amp+speaker wire impedance. Generally, high damping factor improves bass 'tightness'. So long runs of skinny wire, tube amps, and low impedance speakers lower damping factor. Short runs or thick speaker wire, high impedance speakers, and high current transistor amps raise damping factor. 10 gauge wire is thick, even for a a 40' run. Maggies are not known for tight bass, or actually bass at all. Bryston amps have low output impedance.

Bottom line: if running the XLRs are easy, do it. After all, the major advantage to differential interconnects is that it allows you do do exactly what you are proposing. If running the XLR is a major issue, the 10 gauge wire will be fine for your application

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.