AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Pioneer 6070 at Christmas. I already have 750 hours on it. At this pace, I will be at the rated 60000 hour half life in 6.5 years! What can I expect at half-life? Will the display become unwatchable?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
no, just bump the contrast/brightness up a little and keep on enjoying it. or move it to another room and get a new 15G model lol.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Exactly. You will never run through the life of the plasma within 6.5 years. Try 10 years. By then your 6070 will be scrap iron.

Chris

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
Oh, and it's spelled "longevity". Not to be pedantic, but if you are going to title your thread with a single word, spell it right.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spelled it that way on purpose; it just sounded more appealing that way!

OK, if you insist: Longevity.

Well, Creemail, I just never anticipated that I would watch 750 hours of tv in a month! That's how good the panel is! However, I'm just curious how long a plasma will remain watchable after "half-life" is reached?

·
Registered
44 Posts
750 hours of watching tv in a month??? That's right at 24 hours a day. When do you sleep/work/leave the house?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering how long it would take before someone would notice!! 750 hours is actually how long the display was plugged in; 390 hours is the actual viewing time. This is about 12.8 years to half life at its rated 60000 hours! And I have been watching shows nonstop on this set. This is the best toy I have ever bought!!

·
Registered
30,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker /forum/post/12974338

I spelled it that way on purpose; it just sounded more appealing that way!

Is that like stupididity, or edumication?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker /forum/post/12975075

I was wondering how long it would take before someone would notice!! 750 hours is actually how long the display was plugged in; 390 hours is the actual viewing time. This is about 12.8 years to half life at its rated 60000 hours! And I have been watching shows nonstop on this set. This is the best toy I have ever bought!!

then you are fine. Stop trying to scare us. At 750 hours it takes 80 months for the halflife to be reached
You'll have a new TV (because they will be cheap) by then for sure

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker /forum/post/12973309

I purchased a Pioneer 6070 at Christmas. I already have 750 hours on it. At this pace, I will be at the rated 60000 hour half life in 6.5 years! What can I expect at half-life? Will the display become unwatchable?

In 6.5 years tech. will have changed so much you will be ready for a new TV anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
It's really something to worry about.

I did 350 hours of break in before the holidays on my new 5010, and when I returned from vacation and popped in one of my new BR disks (thanks Santa), it was immediately obvious that the light output had dropped 0.3% from when it was new.

Now I just wish Pioneer had contrast control in 0.1% increments so I could fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts