AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what is the relative lifetime of a DLP vs. LCD vs. LCOS vs. Plasma RPTV. I don't want to shell out $4k and have the picture deteriorate in a few years.

I'm also wondering how a 1080i signal which is what DirecTV has looks on a 720p display? I know 1080 native resolution is coming out soon for DLP's but if it's a barely perceptible difference it may not be worth the extra cost.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EmilG
I'm wondering what is the relative lifetime of a DLP vs. LCD vs. LCOS vs. Plasma RPTV. I don't want to shell out $4k and have the picture deteriorate in a few years.

I'm also wondering how a 1080i signal which is what DirecTV has looks on a 720p display? I know 1080 native resolution is coming out soon for DLP's but if it's a barely perceptible difference it may not be worth the extra cost.

Thanks!
Great questions. No idea about the lifetime of these because they haven't been out long enough to really have factual data to support any claim.

Plasma does have a half-life, which has been getting better and better with each new model (more hours until half-life). The only question I have about the plasmas, which I can't seem to find the answer to, is this: is that half-life number based on no modifications of PQ settings? If I noticed my plasma was getting dimmer or whatever, I would adjust the PQ to compensate. Does this mean I have just shortened the half-life because I did so?

Another question I haven't seen much of an answer to is: with a 1080p native display, how much worse will a SD 480i signal look?

As to 1080i on a 720p display, I can tell you it looks wonderful. I shouldn't be able to tell a difference between a 720p and 1080i signal on my 720p set, but the 1080i picture just looks more HD than that of 720p. Depends on the signal compression, but I've noticed more pixelation on 1080i signals compared to none on 720p.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
If your looking for something that is going last a long time, provide a contant picture until one day it just brakes then Plasma is not for you. Plasma TV's have a half life of about 20,000 hours. For someone who watch TV alot this time will pass very fast, and your Plasma will be half a bright as it was when new. After that is just keeps going down hill unitl you can not longer see any visable picture. No other TV technology has this half life problem. LCD by far the longest lasting, most proven (besides CRT), and has low energy use. if you are looking for a flat panel LCD is the way to go. A slim RPTV, again LCD is great, but so is LCoS and DLP. a 480i/p signal will look like crap on any native 720p/1080i HDTV. plain and simple, HDTV's where made to display an HD signal, as analog TV's where made to display an analog signal. I would wait for the 1080i or higher LCD, DLP, LCoS TV's to come out. I think it is worth the extra money. 1080p is without any question, as is stands far better then either current format. just don't look for any 1080p native programming any time soon!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
The information and misinformation on the Internet is amazing.

As noted, plasma is the least long-lasting display technology asked about. LCD and D-ILA would follow next, as transmissive light engines and DLP as reflective light engine technology would be the longest lasting.

LCD and D-ILA are both able to have the occasional bad pixel. LCD & D-ILA are both able to have a panel fail. DLP has never had either happen, yet.

Quote:

Thanks!
DirecTV passes HD in the HD format it receives it in. ESPN HD & FOX HD/MLB Playoffs is 720p. The rest of the HD on D* is 1080i.

The 1080 LCD & DLP displays available in the near future will be progressive scan, and will deinterlace 1080i to 1080p. This is a significant step up from either 1080i or 720p. The issue will be money, and a lot of it.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

So what I'm thinking is if I'm satisfied with the picture I get from a DLP, especially the HD2+ ones with higher contrast, it may be best suited to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

The 1080 LCD & DLP displays available in the near future will be progressive scan, and will deinterlace 1080i to 1080p. This is a significant step up from either 1080i or 720p. The issue will be money, and a lot of it.
OK Ken, here's my question then. Is 1080p really worth the money now? Seems to me that with all the compression that's going on right now, that a 1080p signal is just going to get squeezed that much more to fit down the same pipeline. I see plenty of 1080i signals that drop in and out right now on my digital cable... Just wondering if we won't need a big upgrade in infrastructure before 1080p displays are really worth their salt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.