AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was wondering about how long an average LCD tv will last from one of the better known brands (Sony, Sharp, etc), not the BB cheap house brand. I became concerned when my father in law's 52 inch Sony developed a faint yellow line on the left hand side of the screen and now I find myself wondering if my 2010 Sony KDL40EX400 will continue to hold up. I would like to get a total of 10 years out of it as realistically , I don't expect it to last as long as an old CRT (my Sony CRT is 1995 era and still works well.) Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
I have a 26" Sharp from 2004 that still works fine. But then it better... since that thing cost me about $1600.

In reality though, we don't use it very much lately, so it may last forever...

My sister has a Sharp very similar to mine, and it's just as old, and hers still works too. And she uses it a lot...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think it's a hit or miss my 6 year old LG still looks good (at a family members house) Samsung (7 series)that's 3 years old hasn't held up well . Brothers Sony bravia led has held up fine after 5 years but sister in laws 2011 Vizio m series hasn't held up well. First year fine and the last 2 not at all. (in fact that's who is using my 6 year old LG atm) I've no experience with the sharps so I don't know about their reliability track record.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
I think the expectation is 5-6 years, ideally longer. But with the way technology is moving, I think folks update their tv's around the 5 year mark whether they need to or not. My daughter has a Samsung that started going bad after 4 years. We have and LG that is going on 3 years and looks like it did the day we took it out of the box. Used to be that 10 years was the mark but with all of the "goodies" the mfrs are loading up their tv's with there's more things to go wrong. They're certainly not like the old CRT's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otto, that is one thing I really like about my Sony. No "Smart" functions or anything like that. As simple as a TV can be these days.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big East Cards  /t/1527087/longevity-of-lcd-tvs/0_20#post_24600678

Otto, that is one thing I really like about my Sony. No "Smart" functions or anything like that. As simple as a TV can be these days.

I've never been a fan of smart tv's, even though nowadays it's almost impossible to buy one that is "dumb". I suppose one could just leave that feature disabled. Too many issues with pushed updates for some, the apps don't seem to be as robust as a STB (AppleTV, Roku, etc), the idea of my tv "phoning home" makes me uneasy, etc. I purposely bought my LG "dumb". I already had an AppleTV2 and a blu-ray player with apps so there was no need, at least for my situation. I'd rather spend the extra money on a tv with full calibration features etc than the ability to be "connected". It works for me but others would disagree, which is fine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:Originally Posted by Big East Cards 

I've never been a fan of smart tv's, even though nowadays it's almost impossible to buy one that is "dumb". I suppose one could just leave that feature disabled. Too many issues with pushed updates for some, the apps don't seem to be as robust as a STB (AppleTV, Roku, etc), the idea of my tv "phoning home" makes me uneasy, etc. I purposely bought my LG "dumb". I already had an AppleTV2 and a blu-ray player with apps so there was no need, at least for my situation. I'd rather spend the extra money on a tv with full calibration features etc than the ability to be "connected". It works for me but others would disagree, which is fine.
I know this thread is kind of old but I came across it as I was wondering about how long tvs last. My 2013 "dumb" Samsung f5300 plasma is still going strong! About 10000 hours on it and Ive since moved it to the living room and it gets over 10 hours of use a day. I just bought a sony bravia kdl w800c a couple weeks ago and its a super smart tv android based with built in chromecast and dualshock 4 support for android games. Im hoping it last a longt time. The only problem is sometimes it freezes. But a quick restart fixes it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Toshiba 42lx177

I purchased my Toshiba 42 LX 177 lcd Regza series in 2005 and is still running strong even with the kids gaming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased my Toshiba 42 LX 177 lcd Regza series in 2005 and is still running strong even with the kids gaming.
How do you like it? I bought mine on November 2nd, 2007 and it's still my main panel. It's always in use and I think it's great! I found the original remote the other day and I think the menus and features look better than most newer TVs.

JTrizzo

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Edit: Oops didn't realise this thread was 6 years old, LOL. Oh well I'll just leave my reply as is.

I think outside of model-specific issues, most good LCD TVs last a good while. One thing about the older CCFL-lit LCDs is they get dimmer over time, as is the nature of CCFL lighting. Because it is gradual, it'll be hard to notice if that's your only TV, but if not, you may notice it being dimmer against a newer TV. Well not only that, CCFL sets in general aren't nearly as bright as more modern LED-lit ones, not just because LEDs are brighter or because of aging but because many LCD TVs are made to be brighter now, due to HDR.

My oldest LCD set is probably actually my 46XBR8, however that set also probably has the least hours of all the TVs I have except for my two pretty new Hisense and TCL sets, that are only months old. TV is still fine but without any hours on it that's probably not a good indication of reliability.

My sister has an even older one though, a 46V4100 I think it is, from 2009. Now that has a crap ton of hours on it as it has been her main/sole TV for almost that long--so over 10 years anyway. Still working perfectly fine AFAIK. I think it was over $1200 CAD (was bought in a package that had an HTIB and free PS3, for like $1600 I think) back then.

I also have a 40EX40B (very similar to OP's EX400 except with a built-in BD player) in the house which is working fine but again doesn't have a ton of hours on it either. More hours than the XBR8 though. Speaking of dim CCFL TVs I was just using that TV yesterday and was wondering why it was so dim--I cranked the backlight to max and was thinking "this is as bright as it gets???". How modern 4K TVs have spoiled us :laugh: Even the ones that "don't get bright enough for good HDR" are still noticeably brighter than old-skool 1080p sets.

All that said, I keep getting the "they don't make 'em like they used to" feeling about TVs these days. The good news is the "2nd tier" brands (Hisense, TCL, Vizio) are making really impressive sets for low prices. The prices are so good in fact that you probably won't even care should it break in like 4-5 years and you have to buy a new one :laugh:

Buying a 1st tier brand though (Sony, Samsung, LG), you're paying a relatively high price there, even for their lower end stuff--you'd really be more concerned about that lasting I think. And in their lower-end and midrange stuff? Honestly I think they're just fluffing it these days and those sets really aren't all that great, relying on selling their name more than anything. I'm not convinced those sets would be any better for long-term reliability than 2nd tier sets. Still even these sets are not nearly expensive as they used to be, per unit size. Not like we're paying thousands for 46" sets anymore!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts