AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN  /t/1419357/look-at-what-my-metal-dome-tweeter-did#post_22201369

not sure what caused this...probably 13 years of overdriving my paradigm studio 60ies
anyway, the tweeter actually still makes some highs, except it does sound different than the non-damaged left speaker. Check it out below....

definitely looks like you over drive then with too much power.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1419357/look-at-what-my-metal-dome-tweeter-did#post_22201417

definitely looks like you over drive then with too much power.

Well, I have seperates and am using an NAD THX925 5 channel 125wpc amp for the first 5 speakers. 150 watt NAD for the surround backs. Question....could this just be a design flaw for 1st rev metal dome tweeters? Why didn't the left speaker do this? Anyhoo, I plan on getting a replacement tweeter, but if I can't, I might just take a loss and buy some used paradigm v.2 60ies to replace my v.1 towers.....AND MIKE, what are compression drivers???

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Sounds like the amp clipped and caused damage to the speaker. Shouldn't the Studio 60s be able to handle unclipped 125 watts or more?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN  /t/1419357/look-at-what-my-metal-dome-tweeter-did#post_22201658

what are compression drivers???

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I had an aluminum dome do that to me. I heard it right away got up to look, noticing a little dimple. I asked what happened, turns out it had been poked by a curious 30 year old child with a paper clip, which weakened it.

It always made sound up until I replaced it. Sometimes I would find little pieces of it laying at the speaker's base.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
DAMN! I went and checked all my speakers after seeing that photo

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/1419357/look-at-what-my-metal-dome-tweeter-did#post_22201980

DAMN! I went and checked all my speakers after seeing that photo

you won't check it until you do a test tone...i guess ignorance is bless until you see for yourself. i've tried every site, besides google for a replacement. Now to contact Paradigm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts