AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, my old Onkyo TX 8511 finally crapped out. My system is pretty simple. I have an HK cd player and I'm running Paridigm Reference Studio 20 v.3 speakers and a Paridigm PW Series 2100 v.2 amped sub. The sub-woofer was my last purchase a while back and I had some connection issues with the old Onky.

I'm ready to move on. I'm looking for a stereo reviever for $500 and under that will be sub-friendly and mp3 friendly. I'm out of the loop these days.

Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking for something similar. I am not an expert but am considering the Harman/Kardon 3490 and the Yamaha A-S500-- the latter is available on Buy.com and got a great review from What HiFi?

Otherwise, I have been looking on Audiogon at Cambridge Audio and Arcam gear, but would need to find a good deal used.

How do you like the Paradigms? I wanted to audition some but the local dealer just went out of business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Paridigms are great, especially after adding the sub.

Thanks for the tip on the recievers. I've read about the HK but will have to look at the Yamaha.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
i love my HK3490 -- gobs of power

only complaints?

tiny bass/treble knobs (hard to get your fingers in there, they're so close together)...and those knobs + the main volume knob feel a little cheap.

i really like my master volume knobs to have some weight

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I suggest a newer surround reciever with some type of room correction EQ. You can get some nice midrange (new or previous year) AVR's in that range. Most will be capable of 100-150 watts in stereo. Not to mention most stereo AVR's won't handle Blu-ray audio if you ever wanted to go there with this setup.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If your CD player has digital optical out

Emotiva XDA-1 - $299

+

Emotiva UPA-2 - $329

Ever so slightly above your budget but it'll be amazing

The harmon kardon 3490 is nice as well

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll be receiving an Onkyo 8555 in a few days and I'll let you know how that sounds (to my ears). I've gone all digital with Vitue amps-- this one is for the kids in the living room. It'll be replacing older Yamaha separates...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts