AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a new receiver for a couple of weeks or so and was undecided. I liked the features of the new Yamaha 2400 but the sound was a little better (in the setup at Tweeter and IMO) through the Denon 3803. I was torn and therefore started looking around at other receivers such as the Pioneer Elites, the HKs and anything else under $1500. Well, I went back to Tweeters again yesterday because they had the new 2400 hooked up (originally listened to the previous model). Again the sound seemed a tad bright compared to the Denon but I'm still not sure if it was the setup or just me. While I was there I asked if he had any Elites I could look at and he showed me the VSX-47TX. They had just dropped the price on it from $2500 to $1500. This seemed to good too pass up and they only had 3. Of these 3 one was already tagged as sold, one was the showroom model, and the other was a final unit sealed up in the box. I wasn't going to take a chance of someone else grabbing it while I went home to think it over for a few days. They have a 30 day return policy anyway.

I posted this topic for two reasons. The first being to spread the word that Tweeter just had this huge price drop on this unit. I looked online and even the very shady sellers were $100 to $200 more than what I paid. The second reason for posting was to get opinions and thoughts about this purchase and this receiver. I paid more than I wanted but it sure seems like I got a lot more for my money by paying $1500 for the 47TX than paying about $1000 for the Denon 3803 or Yamaha 2400. Any input would be appreciated.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Kainan,

The 47TX is definately a nice piece.

But..... if I were you I would seriously take a look at the new 55TXi. Besides i.Link, it has alot more features and flexability than the 47TX. Custom MCACC (47TX only has auto), Hi-bit sampling, etc. The only thing the 47TX has over the 55tXi is power (better amps), and THX 2 certified.

The 55TXi can be had for much less, around $1100 street!

My .02

Best Regards,

Patrick

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, you have got me looking. First off, I'm guessing that I-Link is firewire. Is this correct and if so then what will I expect to use it for other than maybe running from my PC for music off of my hard drive? Also, I'm assuming the USB will be for the same thing. I really don't care too much about listening to music off of my PC but if I'm missing something here then tell me.

The 55Txi does seem to have a lot of features but less connections, less power, and no THX Ultra2 certification. What I'm wonderings is if I'm getting more value for my dollar by going with the 47TX or if it is old and will drop like a rock soon anyway? I have 30 days to return this thing. I feel pretty good about it since it was $2500 but I'm always open to advice and know that new technology moves fast which can make expensive things a lot less expesive almost overnight.

I will say that the 47TX is certainly overkill on the power for my home theater since the room is probably about 16' by 15' (around that but the HDTV and the couch make my listening distance around 11' to 13' from the TV). I guess I'm wondering what is most important here. You have one with more power, THX Ultra2 certification and more inputs with the other having a couple of the NEWER inputs and costing less.

Once again, opinions are greatly appreciated.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Kainan,

Couple of things. i.Link is "firewire" BUT, it is not for connection with your PC, (though you may be able to do that as well, not sure) it is for a direct connection with a i.link capable SACD/CD or universal (SACD, DVD-Audio, CD) player. And it does so in the native format (though it will convert it to PCM for processing in the receiver). What's cool about this is that with the 55TXi you have full bass management with those sources and time alignment. Not to mention that MCACC will also work with this connection. The 49TXi ($4200 retail) currently is the only other receiver that has i.Link. Though the new 59TXi will also have it as well as Yamaha's new flagship (over $5000), Sony's 9000ES ($4000 +) and maybe Denon's new flagship.

The 55TXi also has the "option" for SACD direct which no other (no conversion to PCM) receiver has yet (Not even the 49TXi), though I'm sure the 59TXi will have it. Keep in mind that with this option you will"NOT" have bass management, speaker distance, or MCACC. Still it's nice to have this option!

I currently have a new Elite 59AVi universal player on order, hopefully I'll get it in Nov. to take advantage of these great features! :D

As far as MCACC goes, I love having 2 custom options, I use one for music and one for movies. This way I can get the sound just as I like it with my speakers and room, in both situations.

As far as the power and connections. There is more than enough connections for me, but you would have to make that decision based on your own needs. For power, with that small of a room, the 55TXi should be more than adequite. I have 8 ohm speakers that are easy to drive, if you have 4 ohm it might sweat a little but should still be able to handle it. I've heard of people driving Paradigm 100's with the 45TX (55TXi predessor) with no problems). Anyway, you could always add a seperate amp if needed if you move to a bigger room or think you need it!

Even then, based on the MCACC, i.Link, and Hi-Bit upsampling (makes my CD collection come alive again), I think the 55TXi is a "much" better value IMHO. YMMV ;)

Best Regards,

Patrick

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, I'm struggling with this decision now. At Tweeter (where I bought the 47TX) they are the identical price. I'm going to start another thread and see if I get input from others. Thanks a ton for your help and please sound off there.

· Registered
2,352 Posts
Quote:
I think the 55TXi is a "much" better value IMHO
I completely disagree. The 47TX is a much better unit in every way. Not that the 55 isnt good, but just look at the build quality of the 47. Hell, It weights over 60lbs

$0.02

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Grooms
I completely disagree. The 47TX is a much better unit in every way. Not that the 55 isnt good, but just look at the build quality of the 47. Hell, It weights over 60lbs

$0.02
Tom,

I agree as far as power and construction, but... again the 47 does not have i.Link, custom MCACC, or Hi-Bit upsampling. So... there's no way i can utilize a i.Link player and just as importantly to me I can't manually adjust the MCACC (which I've done with the 55TXi, see earlier post). Again, you can always add an external amp.

Again, just my opinion, you disagree, that's cool ;). Neither of us has to decide what to get.

Best regards,

Patrick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.