AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, that's UPN going down in flames! Run for your lives!

Point?

UPN is apparently cancelling the two shows they are showing in HD. Enterprise and Jake 2.0 are now going bye-bye.

A certain part of me is relieved. They tried to go heads up against a solid block of better shows on other channels and got spanked for it.

Wish they might have tried harder, though.

Also wish they might have considered first to put out a GOOD show first, rather than a show trying to grab a certain set of eyeballs. Jake 2.0 was mediocre, and had some promise. Enterprise, well...

Darius

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I regularly watched both of them.

So if it's true they are canceled then I think that lowers the count of UPN shows I now watch to zero. :(

- Tom

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Can you give some source for this info? I see Jake was cancelled last week, but can't find info on Enterprise.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Enterprise is more accurately stated as not being renewed. However, given the state of ratings, in which Moesha might actually beat Enterprise in ratings, probably means sooner.

Just the ongoing Slashdot topic

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
You're a little premature, shah8. Yes, Jake 2.0 is history, but Enterprise, on the other hand, has not been officially cancelled--yet.

According to an article in the latest online issue of Cinescape , an inside source on the production staff for Star Trek: Enterprise was quoted as saying that the show's producers "are running on 'Red Alert' mode to save Enterprise from cancellation doom, and this may include shopping the show to another network or cable channel."

I've said it before but it bears repeating: Personally I think it's time for the Star Trek franchise to lay fallow for a few years. The current production team has been around since the halcyon days of Next Generation, and frankly they've worn out their welcome. Between last year's disastrous Star Trek: Nemesis and the free-falling Star Trek: Enterprise, it's time for Trek to take a break. So... I hope it does get cancelled, before suffering the ignominious fate of moving over to the Spike TV "network" or the Sci-Fi Channel to die a slow death. We shall see.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
It is telling, though, that CBS chairman/chief executive Les Moonves and UPN Entertainment president Dawn Ostroff didn't answer any questions during yesterday's mid-winter press tour regarding the chances of Enterprise being renewed for a fourth season. According to this article in New York Newsday,
Quote:
The UPN execs said "Jake 2.0," the action-drama introduced last fall, is unlikely to be renewed unless its ratings improve, and they declined to disclose the fate of "Enterprise," the current "Star Trek" edition. Wrestling fans can breathe easy, however. UPN has exercised its option to renew "WWF SmackDown!" for another season.
Oh goody. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Any chance for a more descriptive thread title? I could care less about UPN and wouldn't have bothered with this thread had I known it was UPN related. Instead I thought it had to do with Superman and that piqued my interest.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I happen to think that Nemesis is one of the best Star Trek films. And though Enterprise is not always great, there are some very good episodes. I would say it's better than Deep Space 9.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same thing happen as drhill. I liked "Next Generation", DS9 and Voyager ruined it for me.

·
Registered
29,168 Posts
It's too bad about Enterprise. It's premise had so much promise. But the producers fell back on the old, trite formula of funny-nosed alien-of-the-week instead of exploring the opportunities offered by the premise of man's first attempt at interstellar exploration and the hazards contained within. It became Voyager-lite; in a word, boring. It would appear that the ratings have fallen to the point that the only ones watching are committed Trekkers for whom any Trek, even bad Trek, is better than no Trek. They, to put it mildly, represent a slightly different demographic set than that of the UPN Netlet overall. Probably best to put it out of its misery. Got to be a blow to UPN as Star Trek has always been considered the Jewel in its Crown. But, hey, they still got Smackdown!

And the debate about which was the best ST series rages on. Personally, I found DS9 to be the most entertaining and engaging, and the use of an overall story arc made it stand out. Not surprisingly, it was the only one that had a different set of producers/writers from the others (i.e., no Berman/Braga).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Heck, Enterprise could actually (occasionally) be good on the non B&B-written episodes.

What WAS sad was that Stargate SG-1 could do an Enterprise episode last week and do it better with no effort.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
And the crowning irony is that most people in the Washington DC market will never see Enterprise in HD, since the local station puts outs a whopping 1172 Watts of digital power. :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
So, now we've come full circle. ST:TOS (the original series) was cancelled. All the subsequent series made it to the end of their scheduled runs. Now, we have ST:Enterprise ready to be cancelled. The first and the last. Very interesting.

:(

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.