AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(First Post.. be gentle...
)

I was hoping to get to wait until Xmas before I would have to purchase a flat screen for the first time.

But alas, my 14 year old 54 inch RPTV (ProScan RCA) is finally dying (well, actually the second time.. 1st time was about 6 years ago.. paid $800+ dollars to have what I found out later to be a $27 dollar part fixed... but that's another story
)...

I have been researching TVs and reading this forum for a few months now hoping that I had till XMAS to have to make the plunge.. but the TV is really on its last legs now (screen goes randomly dark and crazy every few hours for about 45 minutes at a time).

But anyway.. I ramble... so I have pretty much decided on a Plasma.

(I do have a 1080I CRT 26 inch 16X9 Panasonic in the bed room)

I'm looking for a 58 or 60 inch panel . I'll be sitting about 12ft +/- away in a room with pretty much controlled lighting. I like to watch sports, TV shows, and movies, etc. No gaming on the big TV.. have other TVs for that.

I think I have it narrowed down to a Panasonic or Pioneer. I'm not overly concerned with getting 1080P... unless prices come down alot more than they currently are... was hoping to spend about $3.5 to 4K max.

I went ahead and "stared" at the 58 - 60 inch screens at BB the other day (I understand that they are not set for what my home conditions will be..) but I was surprised by some of the LCDs having a nice crisp picture.

I did see what appeared to be motion blur and "jaggy edges" on the sports scenes on the LCDs. But I also saw alot of "grainy" stuff on the plasmas (depending on the feed).

All the big TVs looked like total crap when they were showing a demo of what was supposed to be the BluRay version of Dirty Dancing

*** I did not adjust any of the TVs ****

I still figured I will go with a Plasma.

Though I'll repeat that the LCDs had more "vibrate" pictures in the store and I was impressed with what I saw (Sony, Sharp, Samsung (I think)...). The store had a plasma and then a same size LCD mounted right above it (all tilted down towards the floor).

The Plasmas looked good.. the 60 inch Pioneer (6071HD) looked "dim" to me but had the best picture. It was right next to a 58 inch Panasonic (600U) which looked brighter but seemed to not be adjusted as well color-wise and looked "grainier".

So I'm still looking around and researching...

My two main questions (for now
):

1. I have to mount/sit the panel in a corner of my living room. What do people recommend for that? Furniture or wall mount? If wall mount, how do you mount a wall mount in a corner?

2. My house is for sale. Should I try to wait until I see what my new house "viewing room" is going to be like (since it might not have "controlled lighting") Or is it not that big of a deal?

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
2. My house is for sale. Should I try to wait until I see what my new house "viewing room" is going to be like (since it might not have "controlled lighting") Or is it not that big of a deal?

I'd definitely wait for several reasons: [1] you don't want movers take chances with your 60" plasma, [2] new better plasmas are hitting showrooms and [3] you haven't seen your "new" TV room - what distance to TV and is lighting controlled?

Quote:
1. I have to mount/sit the panel in a corner of my living room. What do people recommend for that? Furniture or wall mount? If wall mount, how do you mount a wall mount in a corner?

What's the point of mounting/buying furniture if you are moving soon and have no idea about your new place?

·
Registered
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooit /forum/post/0

Quote:

I'd definitely wait for several reasons: [1] you don't want movers take chances with your 60" plasma, [2] new better plasmas are hitting showrooms and [3] you haven't seen your "new" TV room - what distance to TV and is lighting controlled?

And if you don't have an offer for your house yet you may want to consider the fact that a large TV may make the room look small to potential buyers, potential buyers may be tempted to play with it, and potential buyers may think that if you've got cash for a such toys you're not hurting and may lowball their offer.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMan69 /forum/post/0

My house is for sale. Should I try to wait until I see what my new house "viewing room" is going to be like (since it might not have "controlled lighting") Or is it not that big of a deal?

Yes. Sell the house and worry about the tv in your new house. If you sell high and buy

low, you may have a better budget, and TV's may be less expensive with more features

when you do.

You could also buy a cheaper 32 - 40" LCD or plasma to hold you over that could then go to a

bedroom or den or something.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good points guys! Many thanks for the replies.

"Hopefully" my current TV will last.. or die on/near moving day!

I really had not thought about having to move the new TV (unmount etc).

I'll hold off some more.. no rush I guess. I have waited this long.

And I really have no clue what the new house might have.. or not have for a viewing room.

Fingers crossed that I can get one with a finished basement!!!!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMan69 /forum/post/0

(First Post.. be gentle...
)

Wolfy

1. If you plan on wall mounting it, go out first and take some measurments of furniture that will work with a wall mount. If the set is to high/low this will limit your options greatly. I have found out that the hard way, and I am still looking for the right cabinet to hold the other components. The WAF plays into this greatly as to the furniture that I can get.

2. I know that this is not an option for everybody, but when I wall mounted my set, we decided that to take it down, repair the damage to the wall, transport the set to the new location and set it up there was a real pain. So when the house is sold, the set stays on the wall if the new owners want it. Seems like a good idea now, we will see in the future.

Really, I would wait until you see your new viewing location until you purchase. If you buy wrong (a good plasma in a extremely bright room for instance) you will regret it.

My 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.