AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading various reviews and im wondering what you guys would suggest. This is going to be mainly used to watch media off my computer and DVD player. Features are alot less important to be than quality. I know $1k isnt going to get me a great projector but what would you guys suggest. So far im leaning towards the Dell 2100MP Projector.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you're not sensitive to DLP rainbows, the Infocus X1 is a good choice in this price range. There is also the Panasonic L200u which is an LCD projector. The Sanyo PLV-Z1 is also popular, although at about $200 more. I suggest that you try to get a demo before you buy, since the different technologies have their own strengths and weaknesses. There is a wealth of information in this forum. I believe there are some reviews on http://www.projectorcentral.com.

·
Registered
697 Posts
From a personal point of view, I would recommend the Panasonic PT-L200U. There are a few sites out there that have this projector for less than a grand. I bought mine about a month ago and am very pleased with it. Great usage with any media. I use mine primarily for DVD viewing via my computer. I also use it for regular computer media use. I'm using it right now to type this. Very clear picture, great contrast and an overall very good projector especially for the price.

Brian

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
C'ommon MAN! By now you MUST know that the best PJ you can get is the X1!! hehe, but seriously if you have a rainbow sensitivity I think the epson powerlite might be an alternative since it is LCD.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rickster904
If you don't know what rainbow is, don't ask. Just pretend you have never heard about it. Just find a place that doesn't have a restocking fee. Try the X1 for a couple of weeks.
I'd have to agree with the Ricker. People are ranting about the X1 for a reason. If you don't have probs w/ Rainbows, then the picture is just amazing for the money. If I felt like flaming up the normal arguments, I'd start a poll of LCD owners to see how many thought the X1 had a better PQ than their PJ, but returned because of the rainbows. The results would be interesting.

All kidding aside, if I was serious about getting a sub-$1K PJ right now, I would do what I did......find one of those 10% off coupons for Best Buy and go buy yourself an X1 and give it a test-drive. It's pretty much the only one of the normal crew that is easily accessible. Then, if you have probs w/ rainbows and they bother you enough to make the viewing experience unsatisfactory, return it and check out one of the 1/4 HD PJs (Z1, L200/300). However, if you don't see the rainbows, then the decision will be made for you.......worked for me and many of us on the forum.

Yes....we're trying to recruit you into the cult :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sanyo PLV-Z1, Panasonic PTL200U or PTL300U

I'll let the pros at ProjectorCentral explain it:

"The L300U features three 0.7" native widescreen LCD panels in 960x540 resolution. This is the new "1/4 HD" format, so called because the native HDTV 1080i signal of 1920x1080 can be compressed exactly 50% in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions. The advantage is that it yields a particularly clean scaling of HDTV."

The 200U isn't exactly 1/4 HD, but It's pretty darn close and people seem to like them.

Keep in mind, the X1 is not 1/4 HD, but it handles the HD VERY WELL.....wanted to make sure that I didn't make those others too attractive. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.