AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be powering Magenpan speakers so non-4ohm stables are. I dont need anything to fancy, just 5.1 will do. But looking for a deal. Dont even mind refurbished, cant find any great deal on 90+ watt NAD out there. Any ideas really apreciated. Up to $800.00.

TIA

·
Registered
194 Posts
I assume you are talking about the mmg-w home theater setup from Magnepan. I have these speakers and I bought a refurbished H/K AVR-525 to power them. The H/K could power the four mmg-w's, but when I hooked up the mmg-c center speaker the system sounded much weaker. After about an hour the receiver shut down. I added a pair of Crown XLS-402 amps to power the front three speakers, and now the system sounds great. The Maggies really like the extra power.

If you want to power all five speakers with only a receiver I think you are on the right track. I've heard some of the NAD receivers are stable down to 2 ohms, and that is what it may take to adequately power all five speakers. I'm definitely not an expert, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable about NAD receivers will post a reply.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You might consider the THX Ultra certified H/K AVR8000, refurbished for $898 direct at harmanaudio.com. It will be fully warranted.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ramw5p:

You will need some power to drive those Magnepan speakers. I use a pair of B&K Reference 4420s (350 watts per channel into 4 ohms) to drive my MG 1.6s and MG 10s. My recommendation would be to go look on for used receivers that are in or near your price range and talk to a couple of the folks selling them to see whether they think their receiver will drive your speakers. After talking with a few of them, you will have a good idea of what wil work and what you should pay for it.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.