AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to give some background, many years go I owned a Optoma HD72 when they were new. I LOVED that projector. I had it on a 8x4' screen and never had a quality issue. I know technology has DRASTICALLY changed but I wanted to give you an idea what I would be happy with. I don't need a 4k screen, 3D or any of that jazz. Just looking for a decent quality unit that I can get bulbs for and won't break the bank. I sold my old projector for about $300-$400 3-4 years ago including the screen.

I know the BenQ has been posted a lot for around the $600 mark, but I can't justify spending that much coin unless I sell my 55" TV, which I really do not want to do. Any older units that are still ok that you guys would recommend?

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Really though, you are wrong. Projectors haven't changed that much, they've just gotten a bit less expensive. Where 720p models used to cost $2,000, they now go for a bit under $500 new, and 1080p models can be had in the $600 range.

But used models are always a question mark. The better models still retain fair value, and the weaker models typically should be avoided. Since 4K models aren't really out there, the 1080p models still represent the most common projectors out there. This means that they inherently have a bit more value than the 720p models.

3D isn't a cost added/subtracted value, but there are models which are right around $500.

I'm not sure what you should do. There isn't much out there worth having at your budget. But, looking around you may find some good values. At that price there isn't much I've heard of which would be leading the way. Anything 'decent' advertised at that price would be something which I would think would be a hot topic here... and it just isn't out there. Refurb, quality 1080p models, go for around $500 to $600. A refurb W1070 will be over $500. The Epson 2000, was going for $550 a few weeks ago, and that was a heck of a deal.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a new unit is the way to go. I made an assumption (that they had drastically changed) since the last time I owned a Projector seemed like ages ago... I think the BENQW1070 is calling my name.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a new unit is the way to go. I made an assumption (that they had drastically changed) since the last time I owned a Projector seemed like ages ago... I think the BENQW1070 is calling my name.
Considering it will come with a new lamp and you couldn't be sure of the lamp on anything "used", it really would make no sense to buy a $400 "used" projector with no warranty and unknown lamp life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.