AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- I just ordered a Denon 2310CI today, but I'm sort of lacking a center channel. I have:

2 Omni Audio mini towers

4 Bose 301

1 Omni Audio sub part of a sub-sat.

- I know this is an eclectic mix, but my entire AV rig is like that. (shrug) It sounds better than a brand new Bose theatre-in-a-box, based on side-by-side comparison last summer, and it's what I already have. (grin)

- The failing D1S receiver has two center channel posts, so I'm using a pair of the Bose for "the center channel". The mini towers are the mains, and the other 301s are the surround. Since the 2310 is 7.1, I'm going to keep the sub part of the sub-sat, the mini towers for mains, and use all four 301s for surround. This leaves me without a center channel.

- I'm thinking Klipsch, either the RC-52 (if I can find in one sale in my price range), the RCX-4, or the Synergy C-2. Width isn't important to me, but I'd like something no more then 10" deep, and not more then 8" high, which is about the same dimensions as the 301s sitting there now. If it were shorter that would be fine by me.

- I have a rear projector, and see no reason I'd have different, so shielding is irrelevant. I only just upgraded the projector to HD, so the screen is still 4:3. If the center channel is shorter than 10" it'll be a lot easier to put a 120" HD screen up later. Using the middle of the 4:3 I only have about 100" right now. Tiny, it is, but wowzers those colors!

- One thing I'm not sure of is what I should be looking for, wattage wise, to be driven by 105w the Denon is rated at. All of these Klipsch except the RC52 are rated for something like 75w "nomimal" and 300 max. The RC52 is rated at 125w "nominal". To date I've simply bought speakers whose max was comfortably higher than the wattage I fed to them and I haven't worried about it. Not really worried now, but since I'm asking about center channels why not learn a little in the process?

- I'm not set on Klipsch, I'm just leaning that way. I'd happily hear alternatives.

Thanks for your suggestions...

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok /forum/post/18312543

- I just ordered a Denon 2310CI today, but I'm sort of lacking a center channel. I have:

2 Omni Audio mini towers

4 Bose 301

1 Omni Audio sub part of a sub-sat.

- I know this is an eclectic mix, but my entire AV rig is like that. (shrug) It sounds better than a brand new Bose theatre-in-a-box, based on side-by-side comparison last summer, and it's what I already have. (grin)

- The failing D1S receiver has two center channel posts, so I'm using a pair of the Bose for "the center channel". The mini towers are the mains, and the other 301s are the surround. Since the 2310 is 7.1, I'm going to keep the sub part of the sub-sat, the mini towers for mains, and use all four 301s for surround. This leaves me without a center channel.

- I'm thinking Klipsch, either the RC-52 (if I can find in one sale in my price range), the RCX-4, or the Synergy C-2. Width isn't important to me, but I'd like something no more then 10" deep, and not more then 8" high, which is about the same dimensions as the 301s sitting there now. If it were shorter that would be fine by me.

- I have a rear projector, and see no reason I'd have different, so shielding is irrelevant. I only just upgraded the projector to HD, so the screen is still 4:3. If the center channel is shorter than 10" it'll be a lot easier to put a 120" HD screen up later. Using the middle of the 4:3 I only have about 100" right now. Tiny, it is, but wowzers those colors!

- One thing I'm not sure of is what I should be looking for, wattage wise, to be driven by 105w the Denon is rated at. All of these Klipsch except the RC52 are rated for something like 75w "nomimal" and 300 max. The RC52 is rated at 125w "nominal". To date I've simply bought speakers whose max was comfortably higher than the wattage I fed to them and I haven't worried about it. Not really worried now, but since I'm asking about center channels why not learn a little in the process?

- I'm not set on Klipsch, I'm just leaning that way. I'd happily hear alternatives.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Pretty much any setup sounds better than Bose HTiB. And as far as center channel, you want it to match the fronts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18313002

Pretty much any setup sounds better than Bose HTiB.

- Ow. Low bar. There it is.

Quote:
And as far as center channel, you want it to match the fronts

- I'm not thinking this is possible without replacing the mini towers, which is not in the budget after the new receiver. It doesn't match now, and while not nearly audiophile grade (grin) it doesn't seem unbalanced, sound-wise. So it'll have to continue to be mismatched and maybe I'll be able to afford some matching Klipsch speakers and a real subwoofer down the road.

- Or speakers to match whatever center channel I wind up with.

- Until I get a center channel I''ll just do without.

Thanks!...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts