AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
firstly i apologize if i'm in the wrong section,i quite new here. i was wondering if anyone would help me in regards to looking at photo's on my tv. my digital camera is a 3.2 megapixels fuji. it only has a 1/4 inch mini jack (from camera) to a rca jack (into tv). i've hooked it up,and the pictures are terrible. my tv is a lcd (sony 50 inch) rear projection hdtv. i was told by sony that it was more than capable to display awesome digital pictures. what may be wrong??? any suggestions????

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello m29g,

I am on exactly the same boat as you, and I have done some research for a while. There are actually several options to show jpeg images to TV, but I think both you and me are only interested in the devices which can output HD signal to HDTV, either via component or DVI.

Then, there is only one I can find at this point, that is Roku HD-1000.

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/hd1000/index.php

Some of online dealer say they have Roku HD-1000 in stock, but I would wait until Best Buy or Sharper Image will carry it in store.

Another good option would be LG upconverting DVD player DVB418(NOTE: this is not a Zenith DVB318). This is esentially a DVD player, but has memory card slots in it. You can find some more info in DVD player forum. This one is supposed to be appear soon but no one has ever seen so far. I am personally not so interested in upconvering DVD video because it only has 480i information, but now everyone has 3meg or more pixel digital camera, so showing jpeg images to HDTV does make sense.

BTW, if you have GWIII, it has memory stick slot and it can show jpeg images, although it somehow trims the picture size down in approx 50 lines both top and bottom. Big thumb down to SONY.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm sorry for being so illiterate in this issue,but are you basically saying it is possible to receive hd quality pictures if these devices you mentioned were tied into the system??......thank you again for the responce..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by m29g
i'm sorry for being so illiterate in this issue,but are you basically saying it is possible to receive hd quality pictures if these devices you mentioned were tied into the system??......thank you again for the responce..
Yes. Your TV has a capability to show HD video signals via component or DVI. So, it is possible to view HD resolution picture if there is such a device.

If you are okay with non-HD ones, then there are many already out like GoVideo or Gateway's one.

One more note, I found this in DVD player forum that Momitsu V-880N looks like capable to show HD resolution picture, but it was reported it first retrieves 480 picture information and then scales it to output resolution.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&pagenumber=28

Therefore, we have to be very careful if the device does meet our demand. Probably the best way is to pick one from the store with good return policy and try.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I saw the rokulab media player at best buy yesterday. Hopefully it will only be a matter of time before they carry the HD-1000.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
anyone know if the new tivo media servers that come with component can display hd photos if you have HMO?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The TiVos with component outs are at best 480p, so not HD.

The HD1000 is carried by select Best Buys and I believe we've got them in stock, ready to ship, as well. The HD1000 is also available at Good Guys, Sound Advice, Tweeter, Magnolia HiFi, J&R and ABT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by m29g
my digital camera is a 3.2 megapixels fuji.
You should also make sure that you are displaying pictures taken at full resolution. In other words, if you are taking pictures that produce 40k image files, they will look terrible when blown up so large whereas 2M image files will look lovely.

Not sure how much of a limiting factor the stereo jack is for image resolution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been wanting to do this for a while, 1080i display of photos.

Most media devices don't have component out, and those that do

don't display photos at 1080i, or do but first scale it down, then

back up.

The IOData Avelink DVD player looks very promising, from what

I can tell by the specs. There is someone reviewing it now over

in the DVD player forums.

Now, I'm not sure how much better the photo's are going to look

vs plain ol 480, but it grinds me to have a HDTV and hi-def photos,

but then not displaying them at their full quality.

But then again, photos even at SD look pretty good to most people,

I think, or at least 'good enough' when it comes to a quick slideshow

of your last vacation.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by odye
I've been wanting to do this for a while, 1080i display of photos.

Most media devices don't have component out, and those that do

don't display photos at 1080i, or do but first scale it down, then

back up.
Not us. Photos in full 1080i or 720p. (granted, some scaling has to take place to display a 3+ MegaPixel photo on a 2MP display) http://www.rokulabs.com

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you have a spare computer laying around, spend $130 on XP MCE 2k5 and $40 for the remote/IR blaster. You'll have a killer photo viewer that can output whatever HD signal you want and suppports animated photos and cool transition while you music plays in the background. Plus, you'll get a killer music jukebox, dual tuner PVR (h/w necessary), FM Stereo(h/w necessary), News Reader, CallerID box (modem needed), DVD player (mpeg2 codec needed), and DVD jukebox to boot!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think he means that the Aval LinkPlayer won't display your photo's

if it is above 2048x1532.

If that is the case, its unfortunate, a majority of my photos are 5 MP

also. Pretty limiting, with the MP craze of camera's these days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Ruko HD1000. It's pretty darned good for HD viewing of still photos. Which is what I use it for, and which is what I purchased it for. There's still room for improvement, but it's a good solution for this.

While a PC is an alternate solution, I've found that PC solutions are not great if you joe-blow to be able to use it. Hence, I've opted for multiple components that solve specific problems [HD1000 for still photo, AudioTron for audio]... I dumped the PC a while ago. I'm sure, in time, the PC will be an adequate solution.... but IMHO not right now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alphagetti666

While a PC is an alternate solution, I've found that PC solutions are not great if you joe-blow to be able to use it. Hence, I've opted for multiple components that solve specific problems [HD1000 for still photo, AudioTron for audio]... I dumped the PC a while ago. I'm sure, in time, the PC will be an adequate solution.... but IMHO not right now.
That really depends on the package you are running on the PC. Something like MCE2k5 can completely insulate the user from the OS side of things if that's what you want. It's a pretty brainless install with practically zero configuration and tweaking. You don't have to install a 3rd party IR blaster and remote then learn how to program Girder. You basically never need to pull out the keyboard and mouse, not even to launch the MCE application. Heck, you can even sleep and wake-up the computer from the remote with no extra configuration. Basically it's designed for mom and dad, not the snot nosed 17 yr old hacker kid who lives and breaths computers. Regarding your concern about Joe Blow being able to use MCE, basically it's about as complicated as navigating Tivo menus. IMHO, it really is a viable alternative if you already have a PC laying around.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just saw this thread and saw some mistakes about one product I own and one I have been following closely --

About HD Tivos -- Component can output 780p or 1080i as well as 480p (unless watching certain pay per views and HBO which needs DVI or HDMI with HDCP. However without hacking the box you can't get it to show still pictures.

and

the IODATA player can handle higher res photos if served from a PC over a network (the server software just resizes it). It just cant natively handle sizes above 5 Mpixel when in a drive attached direct to it via USB2.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For those of you with the ROKU HD1000 - When viewing photos, how fast/slow is it going from one picture to the next? I have jpg's that are around 2 Mb each, from 5 megapixel camera. Do the pictures come up all at once, or are they scanned? Any complaints about how it works with photos? Can you select which pictures to show in a given directory, rather than showing all?

Thanks.

Max

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.