AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In search of a decent av receiver for our church theater, no need for reference capable volume, but with the way the seating laid out(stadium style) with the back row directly against the back wall, is it worth bothering with a 7.x receiver? The back speakers would be over your head, unless they were angled down. Thoughts?

·
Registered
21,030 Posts
In search of a decent av receiver for our church theater, no need for reference capable volume, but with the way the seating laid out(stadium style) with the back row directly against the back wall, is it worth bothering with a 7.x receiver? The back speakers would be over your head, unless they were angled down. Thoughts?

Probably not the best sound for the folks in the back row. But maybe for people further towards the front. Also, a receiver model that is 7.1 capable may have more features and power that you want, compared to a 5.1 channel model. Just because it's capable of 7 channels, doesn't mean you can't just use 5 - those 5 speakers will have more power available.

I'll bet there are a lot of 11.2 channel capable receivers only being used for 7.1 out there, for the same reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point. I've heard of front height speakers, would those be a possible alternative? or just roll 5.x and call it good. Room is 20x20 with 9 foot ceilings(all concrete) Exploring options as its been a while since I looked at this stuff(10+ years)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts