AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been using Sonos for a few months for whole-home audio. I have one connected to my main HT AVR which controls into 3 zones (2 outside) and then an additional one on my main living floor on another AVR. I have enjoyed the experience so far, but I want to have some way to directly connect my music collection to the sonos in the HT, and have all my music centrally stored with no need for a PC to be open or running. Right now all my files are stored on my laptop and while that works ok, I want something direct connected, that won't need my wifi to stream to the sonos, and is always available.

I have been looking at the synology offerings for something like a 4 TB NAS which I would locate directly behind my HT component rack. My biggest things though are I want the files to be pulled and played back in their original format (Lossless), and I want to have the ability to directly access the files from my main HT AVR if I were to ever sell the sonos. The AVR is DLNA compatible, so I am guessing this shouldn't be an issue?

I am a little lost here with how all this works, so any help or additional suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
508 Posts
You should be able to test your AVR's DLNA streaming capabilities, right now, before even getting the Synology NAS.

UPnP/DLNA streaming devices, such as your AVR, require a UPnP/DLNA server running on a network device (such as a computer or NAS) to provide it with a media library to access the music files from. MinimServer is a decent free music dedicated UPnP/DLNA server that can be installed on Synology NASs as well as Windows computers, see:
http://minimserver.com/downloads/index.html

Hence, MinimServer would be the ideal UPnP/DLNA server to use with your AVR, as you can test it out first by running it on your PC, with the music files stored on it. If all goes well you can then install it on the Synology NAS when you get it.

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the sonos is able to pull my tunes at this point just straight from the itunes music folder where I keep it all stored, so wouldn't I still be able to do this with a NAS, and just have that file located there instead of my laptop?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, should be no problem relocating your music files from the laptop to the NAS, but that is not what I was talking about.

A DLNA streamer, like your AVR, needs a DLNA media server to supply it with the music files, as it cannot look for them directly over network via shared folders. The Sonos system does not use DLNA media servers and just needs to access the music files via network shared folders. If you are thinking of using your DLNA supporting AVR for streaming from a NAS (ie by not using Sonos), it can only do so if there's a DLNA server running on the NAS. My suggestion was to test this system first by streaming from the computer, before getting the NAS, to see how you get on. If you use MinimServer as the DLNA server to test with on the computer, you've got the advantage of being also to be able to install it on a Synology NAS - so you've then got the confidence of it working on that just as it does on the computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts