AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to plan out my future HT/Den build and I thought I would stop in at the (only) local specialty store to see what they had. They seem to only carry McIntosh and Integra receivers/amps and GoldenEar speakers. I had never heard about GE until then but they seem to have good reviews for the price point (I'm going to be pretty entry level).

Today I wad talking to him about the Integra receivers an said that for my needs that the comparable Onkyo would probably be best. I'd rather pay more for good speakers. He then tells me that there isn't a comparable Onkyo near that price point (699 for a 20.4) and that the Integra is far superior...etc. He goes on to say that the processor "drives" the sound from speaker to speaker better and that when there is a lot going on in a scene the receiver does a better job.

This raised my BS flag and I was wondering if you could give me some input. Everything I have read seems to indicate that while integras may have tighter tolaranced parts and different firmware there just isn't enough gap for someone like me to spend the extra money. I am however strongly considering the Golden Ear speakers.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Buy speakers on what sounds great to your ears no one else, as for AVR's look in these forums for the plus and minus on each brand I tend to favor Denon ,Marantz and Pioneer for both SQ and reliability not to mention filling the needs for your particular switching and decoding and mid level up on price you really can't go wrong.

If possible try and demo the speakers you like with the AVR of choice but keep in mind the showroom and your room will have a different sound because of treatments and size.

I used to recommend Onkyo/Integra until their reliability became an issue however some have had great luck, they did offer a great bang for the buck as long as they continued to work.

There is no audible difference between the Integra and Onkyo of the same model IMO.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Integra is just a rebadge Onkyo. Don't go near either one with a ten foot barge pole. Yes the salesman is spinning BS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what about GoldenEar they are probably a little past my price range but they do sound good to me. I have also been thinking about the Andrew Jones Pioneers, but I haven't heard them.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhidpa  /t/1526955/looking-at-receivers-in-a-local-a-v-store-am-i-being-fed-bs#post_24599500

So what about GoldenEar they are probably a little past my price range but they do sound good to me. I have also been thinking about the Andrew Jones Pioneers, but I haven't heard them.
I can't speak for Golden Ear as I have not heard them but if you got out and listened to them and they sound great then by all means get them but shop around and listen to as many brands that you can bring some demo material with you .

I used a local bands CD because I heard them live and they used a lot of different instruments and had both male and female that swapped off lead singer and thats how I ended up with Paradigm Studios for my budget they came as close as I could afford .

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhidpa  /t/1526955/looking-at-receivers-in-a-local-a-v-store-am-i-being-fed-bs#post_24599500

I have the Tritan 3 and a Denon X4000. I am very happy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts