AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few other threads around regarding my situation, but long-and-short is I have some fertility related expenses coming up soon and I've decided to sell my beloved Swans 6.1 mains. I'll be moving the 2.1s I currently use as surrounds up to the front and keeping my C3. I'm currently considering a lot of different options for surrounds... I've considered some random inexpensive retail bookshelves (Polk TSi100 jumped out because it's an aesthetic match)... I'm also considering TSC TSS dipole surrounds... and I'm most seriously leaning towards in-walls (Allison AL6IW, Dayton ES65W, or HTD MP-W65). A lot of options, not sure which way I'll go.

But now I'm also considering building a DIY design that uses drivers similar to those used in my Swans up front. I'm leaning towards the HiVi Juniors desgin from the Parts Express design gallery. This design uses the same/similar tweeter and similar woofer (but smaller) as my 2.1s and C3. It has a fairly basic crossover that I'm confident I could assemble (would be my first, but not my first circuitry project). I'm considering redesigning the cabinet (keeping the same baffle dimensions) to be shaped similar to something like the JBL E10 surround .

Any comments on building/using these for this purpose? Any comments on redesigning the box like the E10s (mainly flatter) as long as the baffle dimensions aren't altered?

Anyone know of any other HiVi based designs that might work well with my Swans? Maybe a clone of the R3?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Changing the box design to like the E10's (large 45º beveled edge) will have an effect on sound, but possibly not too much. However, something to think about is how much BSC is put into the crossover. That speaker might be designed to be 2-3ft from a wall, but if you mount it on a wall, that will change it's sound more than adjusting the baffle by adding a 45º bevel.

I've not read up on that speaker, but check into it. It could be a viable option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts