AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I know this is commonly asked question, but with new products out and on the very near horizon I felt it to be fair game to ask...

I am presently running 3 subs (2 boston rally 12s in custom boxes for home use and a boston cps12wi) that I got free from my old boss. I like their accuracy and output, but would like to dig deeper.

Setup is in a basement with concrete walls, only unclosable opening is a 4 foot doorway leading into the laundry room, which is the same size and also has concrete walls.

Looking to at minimum match on accuracy, and wont cry if i lose a bit on output since I live in a condo, although no one lives next door, so I haven't even managed to really hear this set up stretch its legs. The main goal is better than 20hz SOLID.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1519829/looking-at-subs-that-dig-deep-for-under-700#post_24408979

Watch SVS' Outlet Specials page like a hawk and jump all over a new or B-stock PB12-NSD for $599.

Also, keep an eye on Outlaw Audio for a sale on their LFM-1 EX or LFM-1 Plus. On sale, either can be had for well under $700, shipped.

I second that, but they just sold out of them AGAIN...possibly forever...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the suggestions. SVS is definitely HIGH on my list. I'm also wanting to see what ReactionAudio's subs are capable of since I can snag twin BPS212's (for a total of 4 12") for $699 with free shipping.

I don't have to buy right this minute, it's a decision I plan on deciding upon over the course of march (it's my b-day gift to myself), I just want to hear everyone's input so I can make the most informed decision possible. Last thing I want to do is decide two months down the line that I shouldn't bought something else.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,274 Posts

OP, i would suggest considering $800 as your max budget if possible, as it will open up several possibilities with much better overall perofrmance than anything under $700, nameley:

PSA XV15

SVS PB2000

HSU VTF3 MK4

Unfortunately, $700 excludes all three of these, $800 will get any of those, shipped.  The sealed option you mentioned will work well if: you have a small room, or, you do not have a small room but only listen to music.  Otherwise, you will not get good low frequency output for movies.

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could technically stretch if it comes down to it, $700 was an arbitrary number I told myself I wouldn't go above. Being a pc enthusiast I know theres always much better "for a bit more" so I gave myself an early limit.

The sub will be used for music, movies, and PC gaming (pc connected via Sound Blaster Z), so well rounded is my goal.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,274 Posts

Yeah I don't normally try to push people past their budgets, just that the number you chose excluded three of the top ID performers until you break $1k.

·
Premium Member
11,442 Posts

Quote:
OP, i would suggest considering $800 as your max budget if possible, as it will open up several possibilities with much better overall perofrmance than anything under $700, nameley:

PSA XV15

SVS PB2000

HSU VTF3 MK4

Unfortunately, $700 excludes all three of these, $800 will get any of those, shipped.
+1.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could have sworn I put 16x12 for room size, guess its true and having a baby does make you lose your mind (hence why the system is in the basement).

As for replace or integrate, I may keep the CPS. It may not be a top end, but it does a great job down to 25hz. The rally sub's are going to a friend of mine, as while they don't move a ton of air they do handle VERY accurately. If the new sub doesn't play nicely with the cps then I will drop the cps12 to a friend.

Also how's the Dayton mkiv 15" compare? Its in the $800 price range if I were to step up the hundo.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D  /t/1519829/looking-at-subs-that-dig-deep-for-under-700#post_24409859

Could have sworn I put 16x12 for room size, guess its true and having a baby does make you lose your mind (hence why the system is in the basement).

As for replace or integrate, I may keep the CPS. It may not be a top end, but it does a great job down to 25hz. The rally sub's are going to a friend of mine, as while they don't move a ton of air they do handle VERY accurately. If the new sub doesn't play nicely with the cps then I will drop the cps12 to a friend.

Also how's the Dayton mkiv 15" compare? Its in the $800 price range if I were to step up the hundo.
OP, as an experiment, I recently measured the in room response of my new $800 subwoofer which replaced an inexpensive Best Buy sub.  I then ran the cheap sub along with it and got a much improved response and fixed a big null.  And it sounds good to me.  Cheap sub is nearfield with gain lowered.  And compared to your old sub, mine was only flat 38-60 Hz lol.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, my current sub is not exactly bad, per say. It has pretty solid output, it just leaves me wanting more at the lowest points. It wasn't top of the line, but its not a cheap all included ht sub either.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'm a little confused. The OP told us about his subwoofers and said that he wanted more bass extension without defining either the current or the target bass extension. Then people piled on to recommend their favorite subwoofer without knowing what the goal is or even what the current situation is. I don't think you can do this from specifications. For example there aren't any specifications for the OP's room gain. It isn't hard to measure but it needs to be measured and the OP needs to set a goal, otherwise he just gets hung up on the upgrade treadmill.

I'm not against upgrades or recommending one's favorite equipment. But this thread has left me scratching my head because it isn't headed anywhere. OP, go buy a sound level meter and do some measuring. They aren't horribly expensive. My Extech was $70. I've seen no name imports for as little as $20. Put some test tones on your computer and hook it up to your system. Find out where you are and where you want to be and why you want be there. After that it becomes sensible to make some recommendations. Sorry, didn't mean to intrude. I was just feeling unsettled about how the discussion was progressing.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I specifically want response at 20hz and below. Guess I wasn't clear enough about that. In terms of pure output above 20 hz I already outright bring the thunder in my basement to the point that I can't let the set up flex its full muscle, but where I run it at you feel like midgets are standing on your shoulders.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
If your absolute max budget is $700 and you really need a sub that can dig below 20 Hz with any capability at all, I would look at the Hsu VTF2 mk4 , that is the only sub I know of that fits that criteria. The Rythmik LV12r and PB12 NSD (none left) would be good but they start rolling off above 20, whereas the Hsu response starts rolling off below 20. But while its basic response stays flat below 20 Hz, it isn't going to be an absolute beast down there. If I were you, I would bump the budget up a bit and get either a VTF3 or PB2000, either of those will be a lot more capable for sub 20 Hz output. I think the Hsu and SVS subs would do better for subterranean bass that the Outlaw and PSA subs. I would forget about any sealed sub for that region, unless you multiply your budget by three or four. The Dayton kit would be good but would really struggle at those low frequencies, as would any sealed sub in your budget. However, if you really want to chase deep bass, sealed is a great way to start if you are willing to add more subs in the future. For that, I would get this pack and power it with this amp . Keep on adding more of those as you can afford them. With enough of those you can get powerful bass into the single digit frequencies. Look around the DIY forums for more information about that route.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness  /t/1519829/looking-at-subs-that-dig-deep-for-under-700#post_24419842

If you don't mind a little elbow grease check out the martysub from the diy forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516724/martysub-flatpacks

Hits 116db at 20hz.

Sandman

+1, if you are willing to take on a small project, that sub will destroy anything else anywhere near its cost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts