AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Budget: $800 - $1000 (can go higher for a compelling reason)

2. Size requirements/limits: less than 18" tall

3. Room dimensions: Family room 30' x 15' but continues on to the kitchen which is 25' x 15'. Seating in family room is along the long wall (so I will be sitting 15' away from the TV). The family room has 12' vaulted wood ceiling. The floor is hardwood.

4. Primary uses / Preferences: TV and movies and occasional music. I like tight bass (not boomy). I have a Martin Logan 10" in my bedroom and I like it.

5. My setup:

TV: Panasonic 58" VT series (3D)

A/V RECEIVER: Denon AVR-4311CI

CEILING SPEAKERS:

FRONTS: 2 x Speakercraft AIM 8 Five

CENTER: Speakercraft Aim 10 Five

REARS: 2 x Speakercraft AIM Wide Five

COMPONENTS:

Panasonic 3-D Blu Ray player

Dish Network HD receiver

Thinking about Google TV

Sonos (whole house)

I know the ceiling speakers are a compromise, but my situation requires it. I know a good sub can make all the difference, so I don't mind spending extra for a tight sub.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a similar setup to you, except smaller dimensions. Smaller sized family room open to the kitchen, with seating along the long wall. Except in mine, the TV sits out from the viewing wall, and the chairs and couch sits slightly out from back wall. So seating position is probably 10 feet at most away.

I've been looking at similar subs, but maybe more in $500-900 range. I have a spreadsheet including dimensions, PM me with your email if you would like. Someone else had similar spreadsheet posted, I will look and see if I can find it. Anyway not many are LESS than 18".

Rythmik F12 is 16 inches high, and is one of my favorites. ($799)

Epik Legend ($499) is 18 inches high, and eD A2-300 ($415 shipped) is also 18 inches high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19553285

I have a similar setup to you, except smaller dimensions. Smaller sized family room open to the kitchen, with seating along the long wall. Except in mine, the TV sits out from the viewing wall, and the chairs and couch sits slightly out from back wall. So seating position is probably 10 feet at most away.

I've been looking at similar subs, but maybe more in $500-900 range. I have a spreadsheet including dimensions, PM me with your email if you would like. Someone else had similar spreadsheet posted, I will look and see if I can find it. Anyway not many are LESS than 18".

Rythmik F12 is 16 inches high, and is one of my favorites. ($799)

Epik Legend ($499) is 18 inches high, and eD A2-300 ($415 shipped) is also 18 inches high.

Thank you ride525. I can deal with a taller sub if needed. Will PM you.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
with that budget, i'd buy the new HSU VTF, without question.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT /forum/post/19553435

with that budget, i'd buy the new HSU VTF, without question.

Yeah, I'd seriously consider the new Hsu or an Epik Empire (oblig: I have two Empires). I think either would suit that room and that budget. If you are ok with a more industrial look, the Chase CS 18.1 Mono might be worth a look.

Lots to choose from - you probably want to spend some time reading reviews on all the SWs in your price range. I would focus on the ID brands for more bang-for-buck, though (i.e. Hsu, Epik, Chase, etc).

IMHO, YMMV,

shinksma

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a similar space and went with the Rythmik Audio F15. I had very similar wants and needs to yours. The Servo feature and Sealed design deliver extremely tight base.

You have a very big room that is apparently open to other spaces. This leads me to the 15" vs 12". I have a friend with a Velodyne DD-15...15" Servo unit. He paid 3X what I paid. His is a great unit, but mine sounds better. We agree this is likely to room dynamics, but the fact that the Rythmic stands up to the Velo says a lot...

I have not heard the new HSU, so I can not comment. One advantage of the HSU, however, is appearance. It looks quite good in the Rosenut, if this wood meets your interiors need. If black is OK, then the Rythmik is perhaps a more proven animal...

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.