AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to see if I could come up with some decent spots for the second sub. I turned eq. off x-over set at 200hz only had the HPF on at the amp. I used RTA and Pink PN set my RS SPL meter in MLP and moved the sub around. There are 5 images the first 2 are one side of the room the last 3 opposite side. I wish I had more spots to choose from so if you were to pick 1 from the first two images and one from the last three what would they be? I still need to get a mic but for now this can at least get me close.

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
I would probably go with the last setup since that looks like it would be the easiest to eq.
The right way to do it, of course (will someone please make up a sticky for "sub crawl"), is to put one sub in your MLP, play some bass tones/sweeps/music, and move your ears/meter/mic to the possible locations for the sub. Put the sub in the best place you can (the "best" place is typically not practical for any one of a number of reasons). Now put the second sub in your MLP and repeat.
So is that two Martys?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would probably go with the last setup since that looks like it would be the easiest to eq.
The right way to do it, of course (will someone please make up a sticky for "sub crawl"), is to put one sub in your MLP, play some bass tones/sweeps/music, and move your ears/meter/mic to the possible locations for the sub. Put the sub in the best place you can (the "best" place is typically not practical for any one of a number of reasons). Now put the second sub in your MLP and repeat.
So is that two Martys?
Thanks for the reply you have been helping me along thanks. I understand the sub crawl but for what ever reason last time I did it and thought I had a good spot when I finally figured out REW and took a measurement it was not even close. I was hoping that by doing the RTA and Pink PN with the RS SPL meter in the MLP at ear height I could by moving the sub around take the guess work out of it. Regarding the 5 images I was going to put the original MC in one of the 2 spots represented by the the 1st two. The second sub is going to be where the last 3 images are. For what it is worth the best of those the flattest on the sub is facing the end of the sofa? the fourth is facing a wall the 3rd is facing into the room. it is the same spot just turned in a different direction. I am not trying to make this hard hope this makes some sense. Once I get the 2nd one built I am planning on taking actual measurements using REW eq etc. Look its Sunday I hate doing nothing while waiting for the wood to get cut so I thought might as well figure how where to put the second one and maybe move the first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts