AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best bang for my buck! 2 subs $500 each or less, what do you recommend? Room is 13' X 23' and Thinking about using Polk Monitor 70 mains with matching center and surrounds.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
2 HSU VTF subs would be my choice. SVS and eD are great choices as well.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those were currently the companies I was looking into. Are there other companies that should be considered as well?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I own an SVS, but I'm also a big fan of Outlaw products (LFM-1 Plus, although just over your budget at $550 each). The LFM-1 Compact sells for $400 each.

The HSU mentioned by rnatalli sounds like a solid choice.

The MFW-15's from AV123 may be an option, again just over your budget ($1,100 as a pair). I followed them when I was shopping for my SVS a while back, but at the time they were experiencing amp issues. Haven't followed up on reviews since then, so it may be resolved?

Keep in mind, shipping can be expensive, so if you throw that into the final price, the price will jump.

Also, don't rule out Audiogon, unless your are opposed to buying used.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the Def. Tech. ProSub 1000? It has a freq. resp. of 18hz - 150hz a 300 watt amp and a 10" front firing active driver and a 10" down firing passive driver and they are priced at $499 each

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18188840

What about the Def. Tech. ProSub 1000? It has a freq. resp. of 18hz - 150hz a 300 watt amp and a 10" front firing active driver and a 10" down firing passive driver and they are priced at $499 each

That 18Hz is very suspect. The ProSub1000 can not touch less expensive eD, HSU or SVS options.

Consider a pair of eD A2-300 ($350 each).

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would go for two A3-300's or two Hsu VTF2's, if you can stretch your budget a bit. If you can't stretch your budget, get two A5s-300's, that will put on on $1k shipped exactly.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the help! If anyone else has any other ideas that they wanna share feel free!

So far my top 3 are (1. Outlaw Audio: LFM-1 Plus, (2. Hsu Research: VTF2 MK3, and (3. Elemental Designs: A2-300.

BTW I would love to get below 20 Hz without much distortion preferably with 200 Watts RMS Continuous power or more from each sub.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If you listen to music as well as HT I would add a Rythmik F12 to the list.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
MFW-15s will hunt you down and kill you in your sleep. They'll hum in your ear and shed veneer over you right before they do the deed. You've been warned.

You may be able to find something like dual Epik Sentinels on the used market if you look around.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator /forum/post/18190296

MFW-15s will hunt you down and kill you in your sleep. They'll hum in your ear and shed veneer over you right before they do the deed. You've been warned.

Well, that confirms that question of mine....

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer /forum/post/18190440

Well, that confirms that question of mine....

I'm just glad I made it in time. Could've been a disasta!

By the dimensions given, I'm guessing the volume is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 cu ft- would a single $1K sub be a better investment?

The dual A5s-350s look like a fun option, and such a nice compact enclosure.

I'd also think triple A2-300s ($1050, but they may give you a deal on three) would pack a mean punch in that room, and you could spread them out pretty well.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I go with a 7.0 setup from the polk monitor line from newegg.com. i might be able to spend $1,400 total on 2 subs so about $700 each. I wanna get as good as I can but obviously spending less would be a plus.

I was also looking at the SVS: PC12-NSD cylindrical sub at $599 each.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18190687

If I go with a 7.0 setup from the polk monitor line from newegg.com. i might be able to spend $1,400 total on 2 subs so about $700 each. I wanna get as good as I can but obviously spending less would be a plus.

I was also looking at the SVS: PC12-NSD cylindrical sub at $599 each.

Well that give you some more breathing room, at $1400 on the nose dual A5-350s would be a great option.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do the dual A5-350s have to be stacked like shown on the site or can they be seperated and located at different spots?

·
Registered
498 Posts
With the increased budget - I have to thow it out there:

A single SVS PC13 Ultra.

although you will have to go used to stay in the 1.2k budget - saw a used one in Madison, WI posted here in the clasifieds. looks like he will ship.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18191034

Do the dual A5-350s have to be stacked like shown on the site or can they be seperated and located at different spots?

Stacked would give you more output, but two separated should smooth response depending on where you locate them I believe. But it's definitely up to you. Whatever works best in your room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer /forum/post/18191186

With the increased budget - I have to thow it out there:

A single SVS PC13 Ultra.

although you will have to go used to stay in the 1.2k budget - saw a used one in Madison, WI posted here in the clasifieds. looks like he will ship.

I noticed SVS had a B-stock PC-13 Ultra for $1299, "NO SPECIFIC DAMAGE OR DEFECT".

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Travis thanx for the offer $800 for 2 sounds like a great price, but I have to pass it up. I'm just in the research stage right now, the wife and I are getting our kitchen redone this spring so our money is going there. Maybe 2011 I'll be able to make some upgrades to my system but I need L/R towers and a center first then subs then surrounds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts