AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to finally get a 24" monitor. I got my wife a 24" iMac and I'm totally jealous of the beautiful screen.

I'm looking for the best screen for the best price.

Should I get a Samsung 2493HM or LG or something else?

I'll use this for artwork and some gaming. For games I'll also plug in an Xbox360 through the HDMI sometimes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still no replies?

Too bad. Is there a better place to research computer monitors?

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
I have the lg 2460 full hd /w hdmi and I love it. I really can't think of a single thing I'd want different / better until OLED comes out. Well, it's 16:10 instead of 16:9, but that's to be expected. it still accepts 1080p over hdmi though, which looks brilliant with my sony hdr-11 plugged in

there are a number of other forums where they talk about those screens to death, such as hardocp.com:

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

·
Registered
20 Posts
That Samsung is a TN panel, the 24" imac is IPS AFAIK. I have a different 24" Samsung TN panel (245bw) and I'm not overly happy with it. If you want the same quality as the imac screen you're going to have to go with an IPS or PVA monitor like the Samsung 245T. You can tell by looking at the the viewing angles in the specs -- if you see 160, it's a TN. Better panels will usually be 176 or 178.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you that Hard forum is a great place to research.

I was looking at the T240. It says the viewing angle is 160, so I assume that's a TN as well? I wonder if it has some of the bleeding issues some were reporting for the T220.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Samsung T240 and T240HD are TFT panels - not TN... I'm intersted in the TFT240HD and just waiting for some of the more expert members at avsforum to review it. I saw a T220 in the store, it's absolutely gorgeous looking from a design standpoint. I thought this ToC stuff was BS on the commercials - until I saw one in person - i have to agree now that it is really visually stunning from an aesthetic perspective.

http://www.amazon.com/s******nb_ss_g...T240&x=14&y=24

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeManGA /forum/post/14217423

The Samsung T240 and T240HD are TFT panels - not TN...

TFT is a generic name for LCDs. There are different types -- TN, IPS and PVA/MVA in computer monitors. TNs are the most common because they are dirt cheap, they have fast response time but poor viewing angles. Manufacturers rarely if ever list the actual panel type, you have to do some research. But as I said, 160 degree viewing angle is a dead giveaway that it's a TN.

Most people find them good enough. It's not too much of a stretch to assume that a lot of people who end up on this forum won't be satisfied with a TN.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
TFT is a generic name for LCDs. There ..

Ahh, thank you for the information.... That makes me reconsider my plan to buy one of these Samsung displays. My guess is that the Dell Ultrasharp 2408 I have at work then is probably not a TN, but one of the other more expensive panels.

Drats, I'm really spoiled with the Ultrasharp moniton and I do most of my photography stuff at home on my PC - so a really good monitor is important to me. Sounds like you are saying that this new Samsung won't be as good as a Dell Ultrasharp - especially if it indeed is a TN panel.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, yeah that is too bad to hear.

I'm still at quite a loss about the monitor to get. I have been impressed with the look of the Samsung's glossy screen (though I don't know if the reflection would bother me once I got it home). Plus I'm not sure I like the red tint on the new monitors.

So I'm back to looking for a good 24" monitor. Some have recommended Planar monitors but they look to go at around $950. I really hope I can find something better for a little less, but I do keep my monitors around for a long time so maybe it's worth a little more.

Someone mentioned OLED? What's that about? New tech on the horizon that I should wait for?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts