AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I live smack down between three metropolitan areas. I pull in stations from Washington DC, Richmond VA and Charlottesville VA.

My tower is at 100 ft with 3 UHF , 3 VHF high and one VHF Low antenna.
Three tower mounted Preamps that feed into three RG11 runs. to the base. lightning protection and then to the house where they go through lightning protection again before hitting thier power injectors, combiner and a distribution amplifier.

I have no problems with the VHF high and the UHF coming into my headin however, I can't find a combiner that will let me add in the VHF-low into the mix. I'm tired of swapping coax, running a scan if I want to watch the channels on the low band antenna.

·
Registered
17,557 Posts
Given how many signals are co-channel between DC and Charlottesville/Richmond, I'm surprised to learn that a combiner even works well for you. Also, isn't the only low-VHF signal WVIR?

Would you mind posting your RabbitEars Signal Search Map result to give us a better idea of what you're up against?

You actually seem like the ideal candidate for something like the Televes Avant X, which allows for combining of up to four different antennas and allows you to shift signals around to different channels to prevent co-channeling at the TV. It's a bit steep ($400), but it may significantly improve your situation. Just something to consider.

If you want to try to combine in your low-VHF antenna, the device to do it is called an HLSJ. I looked in a few places and see largely the same unit and I have no sense of its quality. Maybe someone else does.

- Trip

Reactions: Casey Hartman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what the system shows.
Currently I'm using the Televes amplifiers on the tower. They seem to hold up better than any others that I have tried in the past.
The attachment below isn't exactly right. There are stations showing that I shouldn't get that I get rock solid and there are others that I should be receiving that come and go like the weather. I was furious when charlottesville went to low band. I use to watch thier channel and sub channels regularly.

Given how many signals are co-channel between DC and Charlottesville/Richmond, I'm surprised to learn that a combiner even works well for you. Also, isn't the only low-VHF signal WVIR?

Would you mind posting your RabbitEars Signal Search Map result to give us a better idea of what you're up against?

You actually seem like the ideal candidate for something like the Televes Avant X, which allows for combining of up to four different antennas and allows you to shift signals around to different channels to prevent co-channeling at the TV. It's a bit steep ($400), but it may significantly improve your situation. Just something to consider.

If you want to try to combine in your low-VHF antenna, the device to do it is called an HLSJ. I looked in a few places and see largely the same unit and I have no sense of its quality. Maybe someone else does.

- Trip

·
Registered
402 Posts
A HLSJ may work. They have 2 inputs -Low VHF and High VHF and above.

Also, jan_jenca on eBay may be able to make a 3 input filter that suits your needs. They're fairly affordable. jan_jenca on eBay Message them with your requirements and they can quote you a price.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
You'll need a LINK to your RabbitEars report, not an image. TVFool's database is pre-repack and largely useless. Please see the Read Before Posting posts ....BEFORE POSTING! :D It'll save a lot of time. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Hi everyone,
I live smack down between three metropolitan areas. I pull in stations from Washington DC, Richmond VA and Charlottesville VA.

My tower is at 100 ft with 3 UHF , 3 VHF high and one VHF Low antenna.
Three tower mounted Preamps that feed into three RG11 runs. to the base. lightning protection and then to the house where they go through lightning protection again before hitting thier power injectors, combiner and a distribution amplifier.

I have no problems with the VHF high and the UHF coming into my headin however, I can't find a combiner that will let me add in the VHF-low into the mix. I'm tired of swapping coax, running a scan if I want to watch the channels on the low band antenna.
For the cost of HDHomeRuns, I would seriously consider having a separate HDHomeRun for each antenna direction. Program them to only include channels from that direction. Then on the HDHomeRun app (available on almost every platform and smart TV), the combined guide will combine all the boxes together into one, and when you select a channel from the guide, it will use the box connected to the antenna pointed in that direction.
If you need to record, the PLEX server will DVR all the channels, or you can sub to the HDHomeRun DVR service.

·
Registered
17,557 Posts
sorry about that

As DrDon stated, TVFool is more than three years out of date at this point. You'll need to post a link to the results from the RabbitEars Signal Search Map, which is a similar tool but which is kept up to date.

- Trip

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As DrDon stated, TVFool is more than three years out of date at this point. You'll need to post a link to the results from the RabbitEars Signal Search Map, which is a similar tool but which is kept up to date.

- Trip

here is rabbit ear funny , everything in poor for me is actually in the green. solid signals

RabbitEars.Info

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the low VHF antenna is for WVIR's RF2, have you any luck getting them on their RF35 translator? They've applied to set up another translator on RF30 in Madison possibly negating your need for the low VHF antenna eventually.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the cost of HDHomeRuns, I would seriously consider having a separate HDHomeRun for each antenna direction. Program them to only include channels from that direction. Then on the HDHomeRun app (available on almost every platform and smart TV), the combined guide will combine all the boxes together into one, and when you select a channel from the guide, it will use the box connected to the antenna pointed in that direction.
If you need to record, the PLEX server will DVR all the channels, or you can sub to the HDHomeRun DVR service.
Wow, you have mentioned something I had never considered, using multiple HDHomeRun's. I have a new Channel Master Extreme 80 arriving tomorrow. I'm going to see if it helps my reception, if not I may look into adding another HdHomeRun. I have a few channels coming from another direction that I would like to receive. Thanks for posting this method.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
This reminds me of when I had a Channel Master 1210 super deep fringe vhf and a 7' parabolic uhf antenna. Still have them stored in the rafters in my garage. That was back when there was something to watch on terrestrial tv.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the low VHF antenna is for WVIR's RF2, have you any luck getting them on their RF35 translator? They've applied to set up another translator on RF30 in Madison possibly negating your need for the low VHF antenna eventually.
I tried and I can't receive the RF35 from where I am. They must have a sector antenna. There is no signal to receive. I will watch for RF30. Thanks .

·
Registered
183 Posts
I tried and I can't receive the RF35 from where I am. They must have a sector antenna. There is no signal to receive. I will watch for RF30. Thanks .
Just a pending application at this point so could be a long wait, so you might pursue one of the combiners mentioned above in the meantime. If you search for WVIR on rabbitears.info (or click on it in your report) then click on Technical Data to expand, you can keep an eye on status or get more details.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have to tell you, I had very little success combining two antennas from even two different directions even a 180° degrees apart should have been a slam dunk but multipath interference did me in. I had to run two different inputs to two different boxes and I would have had to do that in every bedroom in the house so I ended up using two inputs in my home theater and feeding Chicago stations to all the other TVs. Then I discovered the Avant X. Everyone thinks $400 is too much but it is actually like a mini matv system. You can take four different signals and combine them and it's very easy to set up.

I now get all 108 channels that I deserve. This is not a commercial.This is a frustration elimination. You can try to buy something from Jan Jenca, a multi station filter but it'll cost you more and if in the future a station changes RF channel number you'll be screwed.

I created an Avant X Facebook group. We're not too picky about who joins and one of the administrators works for Televes so he can answer your questions almost instantly.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
A HLSJ may work. They have 2 inputs -Low VHF and High VHF and above.

Also, jan_jenca on eBay may be able to make a 3 input filter that suits your needs. They're fairly affordable. jan_jenca on eBay Message them with your requirements and they can quote you a price.
Where can you purchase a HLSJ? They seem harder to find these days. And does the High side also pass UHF?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Where can you purchase a HLSJ? They seem harder to find these days. And does the High side also pass UHF?
There are a few on eBay. Yes the high side will pass UHF.
I use a HLSJ as a deep FM filter. VHF and UHF antennas into a UVSJ and then into the high side on a HLSJ. The low side is terminated.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Where can you purchase a HLSJ? They seem harder to find these days.
Yes, they are getting harder to find. The name brands are gone, but there are still some old ones on eBay and Amazon.
And does the High side also pass UHF?
Yes, it does.

HollandHLSJFreqResp2_1.jpg

ADTechHLSJsRev_1.jpg

Holland UVSJ and HLSJ Specs_1.jpg

Edit:
Looks like we posted at the same time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts