AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, how is everyone doing?

Situation: I'm a premed college student; my budget isn't the best, but luckily, I have a decent job and can spend up to 800$ for my budget. As noted, I'm a full time college student from the fall to spring, and work full time in the summer and winter. I live a busy life, and after all the working, studying, going to class, and going out with friends, I like to sit back, relax, and enjoy some Xbox Live. I mostly play the Call of Duty series. I'm a mature gamer, but I am quite OCD and find myself always striving to be the best, gaming included. I don't necessarily have the time to find a TV; finals are nearing and the only break I have taken is to make this post (hoping that someone with more technological knowledge and time can help me out).

Anyhow, I'm sorry for the wall of texts -- I'm a rather wordy person. I'm looking for a TV (LED or LCD) to compliment my dorm living room. It will be used mainly for gaming as we have an additional TV that we use for our home theater. I'm looking for approximately 32inch give or take a few because I will be sitting approximately 4-8 feet from the set. As I understand, a fast refresh rate is great, but 120Hz and above aren't the best for gaming on consoles, because they only run ~30-60 fps and anything higher than 60Hz causes input lag.

I'm just looking for something that will compliment my spare time gaming. I'm looking for a high quality set that will provide me with both great features, and more importantly, a high quality image.

-------------------------------------------------------

For those who don't want to read...

1. Budget

- Preferably $800 and below.

2. Seating distance

- ~4 to 6 feet.

3. Size/placement limitations

- ~32 inches. Nothing smaller. Maybe I can handle a 37 inch, but I really don't want to have to strain my eyes or turn my head to see the whole set.

4. Uses and sources

- Gaming (Xbox 360 - CoD series). Possibly some PC if I get the money to build a nice set-up, but this will most likely be in the future when it's time for a new television anyways.

5. Room lighting

- Varies. Most of the time, it is dark. Daytime is spent in the class room.

6. Other notes

- I just want the optimum LCD or LED television that will compliment gaming with both quality and features.

EDIT: As another note, I've been looking a little, and internet capable TVs look great. I understand this might come at a budget increase, but hey, if I can get it, why not? It's not the most important thing to me, but it is still something interesting (esp. Google powered televisions).

Thanks for reading and your time. I greatly appreciate your viewing of this thread and would appreciate it if you could help find a television that fits my needs from a technological standard.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
If you do ma forum search under "32" you will find many threads as this same subject comes up about 4 times a day

You can also post/review the "what LCD should I buy" stickied on top of the first page.

You could also go to the store view some sets and come back with specific questions on various models. This way you can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply; I'll follow your advice.

In the meantime, what brand is more respectable in quality and life-time of the television?

Thanks.

I made the mistake of buying an Olevia a few years ago. Which I found out, the company soon died after my purchase. A year later, I found that the capacitors went out in my television. Thanks to me being somewhat technical literate, I was able to replace them for a mere 10$ and saved my television.

I have a few links hoping for comments/brief reviews, but I must have 3 posts before I can post links.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sony BRAVIA EX 700 Series 32-Inch LED TV, Black (KDL-32EX700)

LG 32LD450 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV

LG 32LG70 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

Samsung LN32C550 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV

LG 32"Diag. 1080p 120Hz NetCast LCD TV w/Dongleand HDMI Cable

Has anyone had experience with these TVs and which would you suggest given my scenario (console gaming)?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
If you do a search of the following terms you will find an owner's thread for each set. Then YOU can read through those and see comments from members. No one is going to read through all your links. Good luck

Here are the search terms to find the owners threads:

EX700

LD450

LG70

C550

1 - 5 of 5 Posts