AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 32" to replace a failing 20" crt set. This is my 1st LCD so I have been trying to research as much as I can. I really appreciate all the info in the AVS Forum.

>>In my reading in the forum I ran across a thread (I can't find again
) where some one mentioned using a USB external drive to play many different video files formats eg. avi, vob, mkv..etc. Major importance for me as I have been burning these to DVD-RW on my PC and playing them with my DVD recorder. I have found units with USB ports but say they are for maintenance use only.

>>Like a lot of posters looking at 32" I would like to stay around the $500 range but could stretch that for the right set. For some, perhaps irrational reason, I have been drawn to the Hitachi L32A403. It has a maintenance USB port AAMOF they have a firmware upgrade on their site performed via the port and thumb drive but no mention of any other use of the port. Not locked in on the Hitachi though.

>>Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. 32" - USB Port - Price are the high on my list--of course picture quality, sound quality and reliability are up there too!!

Ahhh....sorry for long post the devil is in the details

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not an expert here... and my knowledge of TV's with this feature is minimal.

If you find a TV with USB in, such as Panasonic with their Viera Link, HIGHER END: LG's, Sharp, Samsung, etc., (under $500 may be hard to achieve) You will find that they only play back JPEG (still photos) and maybe mp3's (music - audio) or a few other limited formats. Certainly not the long list of formats that you seem to have in mind. IMO, you need to hook up your computer to your HDTV to get what you want.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Totally agree... From what I've seen, only the higher end sets have the capability to process files from a USB port. Some lower tier models have USB ports, but can only be used for firmware updates downloaded from the manufacturer to a flash drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I found the post that got me started looking for the USB input features would like to have:

h**p:// www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1165953

However, the link in that post for the Samsung LN32B360 takes you to Samsung Canada where the model is shown with USB "Wiselink" which apparently accepts several types of media input. The US model does not have as many features as the CA model.

Does any one know of a 32" at any price in the US that will accept USB media input of avi, mkv, etc?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.