AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am desperately looking for 40 FEET cable that will deliver:

4K HDR 4:2:2 (not even 4:4:4) 10BIT 60HZ from my PC (with gpu NVIDIA 1080TI) to TV (Samsung qled9).

Tried already number of cables, including my current 40 feet Fiber HDMI Cable RUIPRO (they even sent me 2 cables) - not working (with usb power adapter that increases the signal).

Short cables do work!

Is there a cable that will work 100% for me?

Please suggest

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Hi,

4K HDR 4:2:2 (not even 4:4:4) 10BIT 60HZ from my PC (with gpu NVIDIA 1080TI) to TV (Samsung qled9).

Tried already number of cables, including my current 40 feet Fiber HDMI Cable RUIPRO (they even sent me 2 cables) - not working (with usb power adapter that increases the signal).

Short cables do work!

Please suggest

Ruipro would've been the first choice because that works as advertised for most people. Do keep in mind that no cable mfr can guarantee 100% of the time that their cable will work with all devices and setups. There's more than just the cable to a successful run. This is especially true when one uses a pc as the source.

The included voltage adapter does not increase the power to the HDMI input. What it does is offer a stable 5v/500mA to the cable if the power fluctuation from the HDMI input varies too much to keep the signal stable.

4k HDR over 30'-40' can be difficult for any cable so you just may have to do the trial and error cable hunt until you find one that works.

Have you tried 4:2:0 because that's the chroma that practically everything, other than maybe some games, is set at? Check your tv's settings to make sure that you have it properly setup to receive that kind of signal and that your pc is correctly setup as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ruipro would've been the first choice because that works as advertised for most people. Do keep in mind that no cable mfr can guarantee 100% of the time that their cable will work with all devices and setups. There's more than just the cable to a successful run. This is especially true when one uses a pc as the source.

The included voltage adapter does not increase the power to the HDMI input. What it does is offer a stable 5v/500mA to the cable if the power fluctuation from the HDMI input varies too much to keep the signal stable.

4k HDR over 30'-40' can be difficult for any cable so you just may have to do the trial and error cable hunt until you find one that works.

Have you tried 4:2:0 because that's the chroma that practically everything, other than maybe some games, is set at? Check your tv's settings to make sure that you have it properly setup to receive that kind of signal and that your pc is correctly setup as well.
Thank you for the reply, but as I mentioned.
Setup works perfectly with short cables.
So the problem is not with GPU (which is good) and TV (also good).

The problem is cable.

I am willing to pay even 200$ - just need 100% guarantee.

P.s. I also game (not just watching movies)

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Thank you for the reply, but as I mentioned.
Setup works perfectly with short cables.
So the problem is not with GPU (which is good) and TV (also good).

The problem is cable.

I am willing to pay even 200$ - just need 100% guarantee.

P.s. I also game (not just watching movies)

No cable mfr can give you a 100% guarantee, regardless of their marketing or product descriptions. If a shorter length works as expected and meets your needs, then shorten the run to the length that works with no issues, or try 4:2:0 chroma and see if that works. Otherwise, it's trial and error.

How is the cable run setup (in-wall, sharp bends, extenders, wall plates, adapters, etc)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No cable mfr can give you a 100% guarantee, regardless of their marketing or product descriptions. If a shorter length works as expected and meets your needs, then shorten the run to the length that works with no issues, or try 4:2:0 chroma and see if that works. Otherwise, it's trial and error.

How is the cable run setup (in-wall, sharp bends, extenders, wall plates, adapters, etc)?

90 degrees bend over the walls.

No option to shorter the distance.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
90 degrees bend over the walls.

No option to shorter the distance.

If the bend is too sharp then you will have issues. I'd lay whatever cable you have out on the floor and test it thoroughly. If it works to your satisfaction, then install it and see what happens. If it doesn't work after testing, then it's the install.

What do you mean "over the walls"? Is your cable installed in-wall?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

Short cables do work!

Please suggest

I'm in the same boat as you. I had purchased a certified 25ft ultra high speed cable as I was planning on running directly from the projector to the front soundbar/receiver, but I hit to my road blocks and it was becoming too difficult. As is the case I am now considering a 40ft cable around the outside of the room.

Have you tried Monoprice Cables? Here is the one that I'm going to try. Says it does 18gbps HDR10 4:4:4. I inquired with PrimeCables and they said they would refund if it doesn't work as advertised. Also found it on Amazon, which I assume will also have similar return policy. Both linked below.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-366627-cab-14472-all-dynamicview-active-high-speed-hdmi-cable-4k-hdr-18gbps-34awg-cl2-10ft-black-monoprice#sku378307
https://www.amazon.ca/DynamicView-Active-Speed-Cable-18Gbps/dp/B01DWQMV1O/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=dynamicview+active+40ft&qid=1594329525&sr=8-1

But as previously stated, there is no 100%. Anything over 25ft is not certified.

The other option for long runs is via ethernet cables...

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I had purchased a certified 25ft ultra high speed cable as I was planning on running directly from the projector to the front soundbar/receiver, but I hit to my road blocks and it was becoming too difficult. As is the case I am now considering a 40ft cable around the outside of the room.

Have you tried Monoprice Cables? Here is the one that I'm going to try. Says it does 18gbps HDR10 4:4:4. I inquired with PrimeCables and they said they would refund if it doesn't work as advertised. Also found it on Amazon, which I assume will also have similar return policy. Both linked below.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-366627-cab-14472-all-dynamicview-active-high-speed-hdmi-cable-4k-hdr-18gbps-34awg-cl2-10ft-black-monoprice#sku378307
https://www.amazon.ca/DynamicView-Active-Speed-Cable-18Gbps/dp/B01DWQMV1O/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=dynamicview+active+40ft&qid=1594329525&sr=8-1

But as previously stated, there is no 100%. Anything over 25ft is not certified.

The other option for long runs is via ethernet cables...

Both of those cables use the Spectra7 chipsets so that's about the best you can do for active cables with "off the shelf" components. Being as they are active cables, they can not be certified by an ATC. It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't the same cable.

Where did you find an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable that has actually been certified for 25'? Premium High Speed HDMI cables are certifiable up to 25' and will come with a QR label but I haven't seen any certified UHS cables yet, at least not that are legitimate.

I would still try the Rupro4k cable because we still don't know how the above poster installed his cable.

As far as using ethernet, that's HDBT and you should use solid core UTP CAT-6a (non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated ethernet) cable. Keep in mind that the latest Valens chipsets have still not been incorporated into HDBT units so video will still be compressed and ARC is not possible (at least the last time I checked).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Both of those cables use the Spectra7 chipsets so that's about the best you can do for active cables with "off the shelf" components. Being as they are active cables, they can not be certified by an ATC. It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't the same cable.
They are the same cable, just two different sources to purchase from. PrimeCables have two other options for 40/50/60 ft, but this is the one I'm going to try.

Good to know that the Spectra 7 chipset is reputable.

Where did you find an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable that has actually been certified for 25'? Premium High Speed HDMI cables are certifiable up to 25' and will come with a QR label but I haven't seen any certified UHS cables yet, at least not that are legitimate.
My mistake, I mistakenly said UHS when I should have said PHS...

Also good to know about the functional limitations of using Ethernet. I had not considered missing out on things like ARC. Hopefuy this Monoprice cable works. Some reviews say they tried others and only this one worked for them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
They are the same cable, just two different sources to purchase from. PrimeCables have two other options for 40/50/60 ft, but this is the one I'm going to try.

Good to know that the Spectra 7 chipset is reputable.

My mistake, I mistakenly said UHS when I should have said PHS...

Also good to know about the functional limitations of using Ethernet. I had not considered missing out on things like ARC. Hopefuy this Monoprice cable works. Some reviews say they tried others and only this one worked for them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Lay it out first and test thoroughly before you install. Keep in mind if you connect to a projector there are some issues with the current output so a voltage inserter may be helpful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to say ehternet solution is not an option for me, because
1. I game
2. TV's network adapter is slow (slower than it's wifi) - but even with WIFI it's not possible to play 60GB movies (video freezes as buffering is not enough - using plex app on tv and plex server on pc )

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Just to say ehternet solution is not an option for me, because
1. I game
2. TV's network adapter is slow (slower than it's wifi) - but even with WIFI it's not possible to play 60GB movies (video freezes as buffering is not enough - using plex app on tv and plex server on pc )

You never did clearly explain your cable installation (in-wall? extenders?, etc).

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
just a cable that runs along 3 walls.

Then it sounds like you have a straight, single cable connection, source to sink. And I imagine there are no wall plates, adapters, extenders in-between? I don't use Plex but I have zero issues playing anything (4k HDR) with a wired connection.

The Ruipro4k cable should work but 40' is getting a bit long. If Ruipro replaced the cable and you still have issues I would suspect a Plex configuration issue.

·
Registered
674 Posts
yev yev, so a "short", perhaps 6 foot, cable works but the Ruipro doesn't. Otto knows more about this HDMI cabling than most others here so all I'd ask is if you can attach an image of your routing. Perhaps he or someone else can spot something that text isn't communicating. You suggest that it has been tested laying on the floor following the walls; my interest is in bend radii along the route and to the source/sink.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Yep. A little more detail on his setup would be helpful for anyone who wants to help.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts

Nope. That's an active cable with a micro adapter. Adapters, wall plates, extenders, can cause issues for 4k HDR over distances. As has been mentioned before, the most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. Any time you "break" the cable continuity you can introduce issues, especially with active cables that use "off the shelf" chipsets. Supporting "up to 24Gbps" is marketing b.s. Even if the cable can do that, your devices have HDMI 2.0 chipsets which is standardized to 18Gbps, and that's the data rate they use.

What is interesting is that the product description indicates ATC tested for HDMI 2.0b. That does not mean it is certified because active cables can not be certified by an ATC according to HDMI.org. The cable is probably tested at an ATC facility (like Ruipro's are) but that is not meant to be interpreted as certification. Of course the cable mfrs are hoping that folks who see "ATC tested" will just assume they are certified.

If you can get a cable like that without the micro adapter then try it. Your picture indicates that the bend radius is fine, at least around that corner but does the cable hang off the HDMI port or is it straight in and nice and tight?

As we have been saying, there is no 100% guarantee that a cable will work or work reliably (long term). It's still trial and error so just try it. You may get lucky.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope. That's an active cable with a micro adapter. Adapters, wall plates, extenders, can cause issues for 4k HDR over distances. As has been mentioned before, the most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. Any time you "break" the cable continuity you can introduce issues, especially with active cables that use "off the shelf" chipsets. Supporting "up to 24Gbps" is marketing b.s. Even if the cable can do that, your devices have HDMI 2.0 chipsets which is standardized to 18Gbps, and that's the data rate they use.

What is interesting is that the product description indicates ATC tested for HDMI 2.0b. That does not mean it is certified because active cables can not be certified by an ATC according to HDMI.org. The cable is probably tested at an ATC facility (like Ruipro's are) but that is not meant to be interpreted as certification. Of course the cable mfrs are hoping that folks who see "ATC tested" will just assume they are certified.

If you can get a cable like that without the micro adapter then try it. Your picture indicates that the bend radius is fine, at least around that corner but does the cable hang off the HDMI port or is it straight in and nice and tight?

As we have been saying, there is no 100% guarantee that a cable will work or work reliably (long term). It's still trial and error so just try it. You may get lucky.
Thank you very much for answer.
The guy who sells scpcat5e is convincing me that this cable (250$ 15m) will work for me 100%, all his clients have same requirements that I do and it works for them...

I have same bends around all 3 corners. Connector is tide.

Can you suggest which cables should I try (not going to blame you if it fails!)?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts