AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an LCD set for my living room, general viewing (movies/TV).

Desired features/specs: around 46", 1080p, CableCARD, preferably with on screen guide, robust viewing angle, adequate speakers.

What's available? So far, I've only found one which fits the bill, Mitsubishi 46231, as majority of LCDs at this size do not appear to have CableCARD slots. Anything else out there now, or on the horizon (next 6 months)?

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaraga /forum/post/0

I'm looking for an LCD set for my living room, general viewing (movies/TV).

Desired features/specs: around 46", 1080p, CableCARD, preferably with on screen guide, robust viewing angle, adequate speakers.

What's available? So far, I've only found one which fits the bill, Mitsubishi 46231, as majority of LCDs at this size do not appear to have CableCARD slots. Anything else out there now, or on the horizon (next 6 months)?

I have the 46131 (pretty much the same TV as the 46231) and it has a cablecard slot. I don't use it, though...I have an SA 8300.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You may not want a cablecard feature at this time. The 1st gen. is not interactive, No onscreen guide or PPV, and many cable companies have numerous problems with them working properly. Most manufactures are abandoning cable card slots until the 2nd gen specs. are worked out to permit interactive features. Read CNETs reasons why NOT to get a cablecard (at least I believe it was CNET).

You may want to consider a TV with a QAM tuner which permits direct hook up for unscrambled cable, or, if you want premimum (scrambled) services you will need a set top box.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD AV /forum/post/0

You may not want a cablecard feature at this time. The 1st gen. is not interactive, No onscreen guide or PPV, and many cable companies have numerous problems with them working properly. Most manufactures are abandoning cable card slots until the 2nd gen specs. are worked out to permit interactive features. Read CNETs reasons why NOT to get a cablecard (at least I believe it was CNET).

You may want to consider a TV with a QAM tuner which permits direct hook up for unscrambled cable, or, if you want premimum (scrambled) services you will need a set top box.

Are you a cable employee?

Just sounds a little sales pitchy but not far off from what the OP will hear when he calls the cable company for an install of 1.0. Love my cablecard but sure got the runaround and sales pitches.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=557810

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.