AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a TV in the next couple weeks. Have tried to do my homework, but there's a lot to learn.

This will be in a pretty big room with windows directly opposite the set that get afternoon sun. The set will be used primarily for daily viewing of TV (digital cox cable). Once a week we'll watch a DVD at night - when it's dark.

Here's where I'm at:

Plasma looks fine to me - but I worry our room doesn't play to it's strengths. Glare may be an issue. Because I ruled it out early for these reasons I didn't look as closely and haven't picked a favorite. If I need to reconsider, please let me know.

I like the Samsung 7 - 8000 series. Price is getting more reasonable - probably will drop further with 8500 coming out. Cons are poor audio quality and glossy screen. From what I read the glossy screen may have many of the same problems the Plasma sets do with glare.

Sony. Everybody seems to be a lover or hater. Not sure what to believe. The XBR8 seemed to be the best picture I saw. I won't pay that much for a TV. The XBR9 was a nice compromise. Cheap relative to the other sets. PQ seemed very good. I don't like buying old technology, but if I might be leaning that way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TL

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can try to help you out. I wouldn't go with any of the old Sony options.

All the current Sony options will be in a 52"

KDL52V5100 - 120hz 8 bit panel

KDL52W5100 - 120hz 8 bit panel w/internet features

KDL52Z5100 - 240hz 10 bit panel w/internet features

KDL52XBR9 - 240hz 10 bit panel + some color and processor features w/internet features

Samsung options will vary on size 750 and 630 are 52", rest are 55"

LN52B630 - 120hz 10 bit panel

LN55B650 - 120hz 10 bit panel w/internet features

LN52B750 - 240hz 10 bit panel w/internet features

UN55B6000 - 120hz 10 bit panel LED

UN55B7000 - 120hz 10 bit panel LED w/internet features

LN55B8000 - 240hz 10 bit panel LED w/internet features

How much are you looking to spend? Do you have a home theater system? What TV/Movies do you watch? Are you mounting it or is it going on a stand?

As for the Glossy glare Sony gets its panels from Samsung so the Z and XBR9 will have the Glossy screen. The only 52"+ Samsung that won't have the glossy screen is the 630 series, it doesn't use that finish. The glossy screen was designed to provide better black levels and color. That is why all the higher models use it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I appreciate the help.

Seems I was way off on the glossy issue. I was told Samsung was the worst (most glossy). I knew Samsung made many of the other companies panels, but assumed that there was some matte coating or something the others used.

Budget is probably around 3.5K, but would be happy to pay less. Movies are everything from Sci-Fi/Action to Chick flicks. Sports TV viewing is also a priority. We have a 5.1 system that I'm happy with and will likely get a Sony S 360 Blu-Ray when we put this together. My wife will not want to mess with turning on the entire sound system to watch TV - so the native audio of the TV should be adequate to her admittedly undiscriminating ear. The set will be on top of a console - not mounted to the wall.

When you say you wouldn't go with any old Sony options - does that include the XBR9?

Thanks again.

TL

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the XBR8. The XBR9 is current.

I don't even know where you would get a KDL55XBR8 from. They are discontinued by Sony and are no longer produced. I just logged into my dealer info and Sony has -32 in stock nationally. On top of that the cost for me to buy it as the retailer is almost at the total amount you want to spend. There isn't a real definitive reason to buy it beyond the extra 3 inches over the KDL52XBR9...

The pricing on the LED according to Samsung law is as follows... If you are an authorized dealer you can only advertise them as 15% less than the retail price, or up to twice the amount of the consumer rebate if it is running. This week there is no rebates on the LEDs. If you go to Best Buy's site you will notice they are following this pattern every week.

LN55B6000 - $3499 - Lowest is $2975

LN55B7000 - $3699 - Lowest is $3145

LN55B8000 - $3999 - Lowest is $3399

I can tell you on August 16th the prices will fall $1000 from regular retail on all 55" LEDs. The following Sunday prices will go back up. The biggest problem you will have with the LEDs is their sound is really, really, really bad. Even for the average I don't care about audio person.

Mitsubishi's LT-52149 uses a Matte finish instead of gloss, picture quality will be better than that of the XBR8, and it comes with a built in 16 speaker sound system built in (Similar to Bose 3-2-1 but 8x more speakers). You don't have to run any wires or use any extra components. A number of my sales people purchased that model TV, sold their old TV and surround sound on craigslist and ended up actually making several hundred to a thousand dollars in the end on top of their new TV purchase. Its going on sale for $1999 and will come with a $400 wireless polk subwoofer for free.

It cost a $1000 less than the 55B8000, looks just as good as any high end Samsung or Sony, sounds a hell of a lot better, is way more convenient, and doesn't give you the glare issue. Just a thought...

Other than that I don't know of any current high end flat panel TV that doesn't have a gloss screen... LG, Sony, Samsung and the new Mits models all have the gloss screen. The only exception is the 630 and down Samsung and I believe the W series and down Sony.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Because Samsung decided it is... All the manufacturers are. Its their promotional period before football season. They are ramping up for big screen sales. After that you will probably see the prices stay fairly high for a while until they ramp back up in October getting ready for the Holiday season.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the input.

I'm sure I was told the Sony's had a more matte finish, but I'll have to look again to be sure. Is Mits the only company with a matte screen? Who makes their screens?

My old rear projection was Mits and it was great for me. It surprises me that they seem to be a more minor player these days. When I bought my old set it was Pioneer, Mits, and Hitachi. I did look at a few Mits sets. They didn't wow me, but had acceptable picture quality. I did the sound bar demo. It really was fairly impressive in the room I listened in. I'm curious what the real world effect is. I felt a little like I was in a Bose add though. It just seemed a little gimmicky. My wife would love it. If she ever sees that my good speakers will disappear.

I can get the Samsung 8000 for about 3200-3300, the XBR9 for 2400. If the price really drops 1K both would be a very good deal.

Any other input?

Thanks again.

TL

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark /forum/post/16953590

yeah jsun947: whats up with the Aug 16th date, and what manufacturers does this drop in price apply to?

Sony, Samsung, LG, Mitsubishi will all be running promotions during the next 3 weeks. Promotional pricing changes every Sunday. Most Manufacturers don't forecast promotions out to retailers past about a month so I don't know for sure what will happen past that. Usually they end for a while and come back 2-3 weeks later but will probably be considerably less. Football season starting, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Superbowl are when they run the largest promotions.

Samsung has been the most aggressive with the amounts and will continue to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl90 /forum/post/16953675

I'm sure I was told the Sony's had a more matte finish, but I'll have to look again to be sure. Is Mits the only company with a matte screen? Who makes their screens?

My old rear projection was Mits and it was great for me. It surprises me that they seem to be a more minor player these days. When I bought my old set it was Pioneer, Mits, and Hitachi. I did look at a few Mits sets. They didn't wow me, but had acceptable picture quality. I did the sound bar demo. It really was fairly impressive in the room I listened in. I'm curious what the real world effect is. I felt a little like I was in a Bose add though. It just seemed a little gimmicky. My wife would love it. If she ever sees that my good speakers will disappear.

I can get the Samsung 8000 for about 3200-3300, the XBR9 for 2400. If the price really drops 1K both would be a very good deal.

Any other input?

Thanks again.

TL

Last years Mitsubishi had a matte screen. They get their panels from Samsung. Since all Mits panels are high grade 10 bit+ they use the same panel that the high end Samsungs do. That means all Mitsubishi panels this year have the glossy screen.

Sony also gets their panels from the same factory. Our Z series and XBR9 series look really glossy on my show room. It doesn't appear to be any more Matte then the 650 Samsung does. Maybe its the lighting in that section of the store. I'll have to check it out.

A lot of customers are really turned off by the glossy finish and there isn't a lot of options out for them in high end TVs anymore with a matte finish.

The 558000 will bottom out at $2999. I would say I'm shocked at how bad Sony has been beat up value wise. The 52XBR9 was supposed to retail at $3299 and it just gets whored out. Mostly its because Sony doesn't have any advertising policies for retailers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still hunting for just the right set. The guy at Best Buy said he'd get a LG LH90 out so I could see it. Seems like it might be OK looking at the reviews. Anyone want to talk me out of at least looking at it?

TL

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pretty happy with my 52B630. Matte screen, great picture, cheap, and damn good embedded media player. I got the 1 terabyte Hard drive with hundreds of movies hooked up to the tv, so pretty simple using 1 remote for everything.

Take a thumb drive to the store with you, loaded with High Def video, like movie trailers or something and stick it into the usb ports of the B630. Watch it play formats that no other tv will play; .Mp4, .avi, mkv, vob, wmv.

IMHO best matte screen value you can get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger. 55" LG LH90

I hadn't payed the LGs much attention. Admittedly I'm a bit of a sucker for the big brand names. The longer I looked the more I thought waiting 6-12mo would get me better technology at a better value. But I couldn't live with a 26" TV for that long.

As I started entering "budget mode" I searched and read more reviews. The LH90 stacks up pretty well. Then I realized it was on sale at BB. No one had one on display. Not sure what's up with that. I asked to see one and they agreed to unbox it on the floor and hook it up. I kept going back and forth b/n the Samsung and the LH90. It was hard to see much difference. The Sammy is definitely prettier as a piece of furniture. But the PQ was pleasing to my eye on both. So hard to tell in the showroom.

In the end I just decided I couldn't make myself pay 8-900 more for the Sammy.

T

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN 101 /forum/post/16962343

jsun947: do you know if the samsung B630 and b750 will go on sale on the 16th to? I was thinking about getting the b630 but can wait if they will have some good deals coming.

$1595 at B&H Photo. Just got mine today and having it delivered on Thursday. Can't wait...

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci /forum/post/16984647

$1595 at B&H Photo. Just got mine today and having it delivered on Thursday. Can't wait...

Are you saying that it will go on sale for that price on Sunday? Because right now it's $2299 there, more expensive than the ln55b650 ($1999)

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_eh /forum/post/16994843

Are you saying that it will go on sale for that price on Sunday? Because right now it's $2299 there, more expensive than the ln55b650 ($1999)

I think you may have missed it. Seems their prices can vary from day to day.

I'll explain: I was heavily leaning towards the ln46b630 on Tuesday and I saw it on both Amazon and BHPhoto for $1399 ($1899 for the 52") but I wasn't going to jump on it until I actually saw it. So I called BHphoto to see if they had it on display. They said they didn't have the 46" but they did have the 52". It being the same model but just bigger, I decided to stop by. Once I got there, I searched for about 5 minutes because the place is so crazy that it's difficult to find someone to help right away. However, when I finally found it, I looked at the price and it said $1594!!! I had to make sure it was the same one I was looking at on the web. Turns out it was. The sale guy says they sometimes change it periodically. A previous poster mentioned that it was some kind of rebate that was in effect. With very little hesitation, I jumped on the deal. And just to satify my curiosity, I went on their website when I got back home and noticed it said $2299 but it had a link of "email a better price" which I did and it sent me the same price I bought it at.

By the looks, it seems to be at more than $2200 now and no option the "email me a better price". Sorry about that. However, Amazon still has it at $1899. I don't know how often these prices fluctuate so I'm not going to recommend anything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.