AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for my first 50"+ Flat Panel TV, it will be used for strictly GAMING (Xbox360/PS3) and MOVIES and I need suggestions on what I should buy, i've researched about this and found a lot of information on the subject but I still need help, i've went to stores and looked at some TVs but I've read at the store the raise the settings on the TV so they look best for display but wouldn't for home use.

The lighting in my room can be adjusted widely. The footprint of the room is 12x12x19 and my budget is roughly 1000.00. The length I would be having the TV on would vary from 1-8 hours at a time, possibly more if I pull an all nighter.

I am not sure what i should get, a Plasma or LCD/LED LCD. I've read you can get the burn-in effect with Plasmas, like fixed logos and such in games and with LCDs the picture is laggy with video games.. so as you can tell i'm stuck and confused.

One Plasma I was looking at was http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...610&CatId=3652

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanginGMC /forum/post/19542052

I'm in the market for my first 50"+ Flat Panel TV, it will be used for strictly GAMING (Xbox360/PS3) and MOVIES and I need suggestions on what I should buy, i've researched about this and found a lot of information on the subject but I still need help, i've went to stores and looked at some TVs but I've read at the store the raise the settings on the TV so they look best for display but wouldn't for home use.

The lighting in my room can be adjusted widely. The footprint of the room is 12x12x19 and my budget is roughly 1000.00. The length I would be having the TV on would vary from 1-8 hours at a time, possibly more if I pull an all nighter.

I am not sure what i should get, a Plasma or LCD/LED LCD. I've read you can get the burn-in effect with Plasmas, like fixed logos and such in games and with LCDs the picture is laggy with video games.. so as you can tell i'm stuck and confused.

One Plasma I was looking at was http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...610&CatId=3652

I have the 50" of that display and it's main problem is line bleeding (like when you move up and down through menu selections in a game for example you can see a slight shadow casted off of it). I don't think I can notice the line bleeding while in action or a movie playing (well the screen is also very reflective too but that doesn't bother me as I use mine in a darker room and it's totally unnoticeable once there's content playing on the screen). The Panasonic plasma that competes with it (G2) has another problem which is floating blacks (black level will brighten and dim depending on the content that's on the screen). Burn in? I gamed on a 2006 plasma until a few weeks ago when I sold it and never had a hint of burn in. I also never gamed for 8 hour stretches either! Wow... I think the very first online game I played in 1999 I might of played that long my first night, but I'll play for 2 hours at max before being burned out, heh.

A lot of people have your same concerns (me included) and you really just have to buy from a store you can return/exchange without hassle. This is why I like to buy items like this in retail/brick and mortar so that I don't have to deal with shipping. I'm actually thinking of picking up a new LED just to compare side-by-side with my plasma to fulfill my own interest. Relying on other peoples input only gets you so far....

I don't think lag is a problem with the LG, but I'll never expect a gaming console/large widescreen display with wireless controllers to compete with my high end PC with a wired overclocked USB gaming mouse on a Trinitron CRT anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Some of this depends on taste.

I game on a Plasma, and always have. I think its smoother, and more realistic. However, I cannot achieve the light output and pop of most modern LED sets. During peak daylight, the set does appear a tad dim, but at night it looks amazing. Great blacks and color saturation, silky smooth graphics, etc.

But..

If you want a bright, punchy image with your video games, you may want to look at various LCDs (LED) with low input lag. I like a bright image with video games, and alot of these new LEDs impress me. I also think the frame interpolation of new LED sets is kind of cool with video games, creating that high frame rate look.

You will be happy to know that burn in is not a problem with modern plasmas. I gamed heavily on a 2006 42" Panasonic plasma 60u, 42" 80u, and now a 50" S1. They all look as good as the day I bought them. I play some RPG's that go 60 or 80 hours, and things like the mini map or other static items on the screen have never left burn in or any issues, even with aggressive picture settings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.