AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the best 50 or 52" display available. There is little to no light in the room.

I have borrowed my buddy Sammy 5053 to get an idea on size. I have watched a couple regular DVD's and also regular Directv to non HD.

On of the things I dont like about the Samsung 5053 is the little green dots that flash in the dark colors!

What screen should I be looking at?

I know the Samsung Ln52a650 is on sale right now, but not sure if is the best option at this point.

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
407 Posts
The KURO is a monitor so you'd have to purchase separate tuners etc...

The Samsung is good too.

But if you're willing to purchase the other things with the KURO, I'd take it.

But price-wise, Samsung is the best option for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply! I sit about 10' away from the screen will the 52" be to big?

Also how does the Samsung process stanard Def? Cause not all channels are HD yet.

Anything bad to say about the Samsung?

Do they make another 52" that is better even if it cost more?

·
Banned
407 Posts
52" at 10ft away isn't bad, that's a good size! I have a 55" and I sit like 7-8ft away, and all my friends and family got used to it in a short period of time. It's not overwhelming really. It kinda looks small now hehehe. Samsung does pretty darn good on SD material, but I'd say Sony has the edge over SD processing. I actually don't have any HD material since we don't watch a lot of TV programs and my analog cable provides enough channels for my family. The picture quality is still very nice but you'll definitely notice some static and noise.

I see that you're option is the A650, but you should look at the B650! I purchased the Samsung 55B650 and I was happy with it somewhat. I'm going to keep it but I'll tell you this... Samsung has HORRIBLE quality control. They use several panels for ONE model. So when you buy a Samsung TV, you're pretty much on a gamble. So keep that in mind, and I don't have any other option other than the B650 for a 55" in my price range. Heck, I still recommend it because the picture quality on Blu Ray is just mind boggling. If you play a lot of games or anyone else, be sure to always turn GAME MODE ON because I could NOT play if it was turned off. This TV has pretty bad lag.

The only larger screen Samsung has to offer is the 55" B650, there's the B6/7/8000 but don't even bother looking at those!

I wouldn't really consider the B750, unless you want to spend a few hundred bucks for a smaller screen (52") and a 'nicer' thicker bezel. I compared them both, there was NO significant difference other than cosmetic design. So really, in conclusion, the 55"B650 is your best choice man!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
A vote for the offerings by Sony.

The performance of the Sony 52V5100 is very comparable to the 6series Samsung, I would say equivalent picture quality for everyone but true videophiles. Although I am not a videophile, I can see the distinct difference (improvement) in the PQ of the Z5100. It does cost more, but what a picture... a total "Wow!"

In between the V5100 and Z5100 lies the W5100... no slouch either. You should add these to your list for consideration.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The samsung ln52b759 and 55b650 look nice. I think the 52" 750 would fit my room better.

How is the lag on the set? I play xbox 360 games occasionally, also what about motion blur? That really bugs me to on a expensive set.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
164 Posts
do yourself a BIG favor, read up on the 52B750 model. it is hands down one of the best LCD's out there. its HD/BR picture can only be beat by Sonys xbr8 and its older sibling the 950 model which are phasing out now. Its a 240Hz set with blurr/judder controls and handles motion flawlessly with ridiculous color pop, and trounces on the 650 in everything. Try to find them side by side and the differences in color richness you'll notice immediately. Im trying to find a 950 now because its even better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was originally set on a ln55a950 but I think it will be to big for my living room. I setup a buddies sammy 5053 plasma and was not real impressed, i'm hoping a 52b750 would have a better picture then it.

So now i need to try and find the best deal on the 52b750, i have only been able to find it for around $2490.00. I'm wondering if I walk into bestbuy if they will give me a better price if I haggle with them?

·
Banned
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark /forum/post/16946415

do yourself a BIG favor, read up on the 52B750 model. it is hands down one of the best LCD's out there. its HD/BR picture can only be beat by Sonys xbr8 and its older sibling the 950 model which are phasing out now. Its a 240Hz set with blurr/judder controls and handles motion flawlessly with ridiculous color pop, and trounces on the 650 in everything. Try to find them side by side and the differences in color richness you'll notice immediately. Im trying to find a 950 now because its even better.

You really have no clue do you. You make it sound as if the B750 is in a whole different level than the other televisions. The B750 and the B650 are very similar in picture quality. These Samsung televisions have horrible motion handling compared to other brands but of course - people buy it. Do me a favor and actually watch them side by side, many viewers did and we believe the price, design, smaller screen, 240hz is probably not worth our extra money.

@Vandals909: You can try finding a cheaper price online and try to make them PP. Or you can purchase online like Amazon because its generally cheaper online.

·
Registered
164 Posts
nosepass2: from your statement its obvious that your budget rules your eyes (and yes it does for many) but if you were to TAKE "PRICE" OUT OF THE EQUATION, and go see the two Samsungs side by side (which i just did btw along side of 2 strangers and had a BestBuy dudes point out the differences). I usually dont give BB guys credit for anything but this guy could rip specs off like no other, and on the screen he pointed different things out between them as well. Sticking on topice between the 650&750 I agree with you the difference are subtle, BUT YOU CAN SEE the differences, especially in regards to color. Sorry if im not like you, when it comes to tvs, im run by my eyes 1st, wallet 2nd, not the other way around and weed out a justification for going for the cheaper one (thats not me). I decide btween which is the better MODEL first, then hunt for the best price ON THAT MODEL 2nd.

750 got 4stars vs 650 got 3.5, they ranked it that way for a reason http://reviews.cnet.com/best-lcd-tvs...ent;contentNav and feel free to read up on the evaluation of BOTH sets

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/16948777

many viewers did and we believe the price, design, smaller screen, 240hz is probably not worth our extra money.

Taking this spec alone, I agree with you the 240hz is not worth the extra $, which is why im pretty much set on (and days away from getting last years) A950 Model, simply because its even better than the B750 picture wise to my eyes.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark /forum/post/16948898

nosepass2: from your statement its obvious that your budget rules your eyes (and yes it does for many) but if you were to TAKE "PRICE" OUT OF THE EQUATION, and go see the two Samsungs side by side (which i just did btw along side of 2 strangers and had a BestBuy dudes point out the differences). I usually dont give BB guys credit for anything but this guy could rip specs off like no other, and on the screen he pointed different things out between them as well. Sticking on topice between the 650&750 I agree with you the difference are subtle, BUT YOU CAN SEE the differences, especially in regards to color. Sorry if im not like you, when it comes to tvs, im run by my eyes 1st, wallet 2nd, not the other way around and weed out a justification for going for the cheaper one (thats not me). I decide btween which is the better MODEL first, then hunt for the best price ON THAT MODEL 2nd.

750 got 4stars vs 650 got 3.5, they ranked it that way for a reason http://reviews.cnet.com/best-lcd-tvs...ent;contentNav

Not to take away anything from the B750 or B650, but CNET is full of soooo much crap when it comes to their reviews. They rate the LED 6000/7000 Samsungs so highly despite their huge panel inconsistencies, flashlighting, dark corners, excessive clouding etc, and say the most ridiculous things. Here's an example from the B650 review:

"The bad: benefits of 120Hz difficult to discern"

Er... what? 120hz benefits difficult to discern? Maybe if you're blind.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...in;contentBody

In any case, both the B650 and B750 are great sets. Personally I preferred the 750 design and better contrast, but either is great. I can actually see the 240hz difference, especially in Planet Earth (vs my old 120hz A650). Just a tad smoother on those pans, and it makes a difference. Just take CNET's reviews with a fairly sizeable grain of salt.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i forgot how much everybody on here is such cnet haters and will discredit them on anything they say, but its not like their choices for what they rate as top hdtvs are being pulled out their asses like ppl make it seem. ALL 5 of those LCD's are damn good ones and its not like th pq on any of them is garbage!

every single tv out the bunch has its flaws if you wanna nit pick them to death. even pioneer elites get ripped on here by some so i dunno
one's gotta pick their poison and not get so hung up varying flaws because the perfect tv that appeals to EVERYONE is just not out there, sorry

·
Banned
407 Posts
Wow, did they just place the Samsung B7000 as the top of the BEST LCD's?

-.- CNET reviews are so misleading...

They should put it in order from Performance, not the overall score with the design and features.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.