AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for 60" Plasma

So I just picked up a Pioneer 5020, love this set, looks almost like a CRT to my eyes. The problem is that well, this Plasma is not a 60" and I really feel that that is the ideal size for immersion in most living rooms (well the distances and room sizes I seem to watch TV in). Anyway, I have seen the Panasonic ST series, looks pretty dim to me and the ABL absolutely crushes the pop on mid to high ABL content, which is honestly more bothersome than just having perhaps a dimmer panel (you don't see what you are missing). So while I like the look of the Panasonic plasma, IMO, they all look like they are too heavily tinted (front glass), that I find my eyes getting "bored" with it's images. Keep in mind this is not all content, but enough to bother me.

To my eyes, the Pioneers don't seem to have this huge ABL compression effect, even though I am sure it is likely present, as all plasma/crt monitors have some form of it. Now the likelihood of finding a Pioneer 6020 or better seems to be pretty low, so low that I am starting to look at other plasma's, newer models. I haven't been able to see an 8500 in probably a year, so my memory on that one is probably not great, but I remember it being very bright, though I can't remember the quality of the blacks. I may have been spoiled by having owned Pioneers throughout the last few years, as I remember it being "good" but not "great".

Anyway, barring any fantastic super blowout deals that I am not aware of, I am currently looking at the Samsung F5300B. I saw one at a friends' place, surprising that they had no idea what they had, just that they liked plasma over LCD, which was "good enough" in my book :D I guess I am wondering what everyone thinks of the F5300B vs. the ST60 vs. the Pioneer 6020/elites. Am I better just getting an interim solution until OLED comes out, something like the 5300B, or would I be better hoping to find an old Pioneer. Also, does anyone have any reference specs/links for the 5300B? I seem to be able to find are results from the A panel. I suppose I should mention that I love having great blacks, but, not at the expense of usable light output, I seem to prefer greater contrast ratios over epic black levels, For example, in addition to the Pioneer, I actually have a Vizio plasma these days, it is incredibly bright and natural looking but has blacks that aren't really great, but again the static contrast ratio is actually quite high, which makes the PQ quite good. I am wondering where my compromise is going to be with the 5300B, I mean, I don't need an AG filter, but I do need it to be bright enough to watch in the daytime with a window or two to the side of the panel.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So much for trying to write a quick thread at work on my phone, that should have read, "Looking for 60" Plasma", somehow clicking out of the various windows caused a delete/replace event in the title :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts