AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without risking too much quality...

I need it to play during the day (without direct sunlight). I was previously a Optoma HD71 owner so the 2400 lumens is not enough for my needs...

I found one that might be ok:

The ViewSonic® PJD6531w is a wide format 120Hz / 3D-ready DLP® projector which includes BrilliantColor™ tech*nology to produce more vibrant colors, while the high brightness and contrast ratios make this projector shine in virtually any lighting situa*tion.

Delivers 3,200 lumens with a 1280x800 WXGA native wide resolution

Ideal for classrooms, living rooms or board rooms

Designed for table-top use or can be mounted on the ceiling for classrooms and meeting rooms

The HDMI input enables high-def images and multiple inputs offer flexible connectivity

The top load lamp and filter-less design provide for easy maintenance and low total cost of ownership

RJ-45 connectiv*ity enables remote network control

Extensive input options and integrated 10W speakers give amazing multimedia performance and effective presentations or classroom lessons.

The contrast seems a little low but it's extremely bright. I don't think it supports 1080p natively. The HC4000 sounds good but it doesn't seem bright enough. Anything similar with more brightness?

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
That unit is not 1080p, it only has the ability to process and scale down a 1080p signal.

..and that also means you will NOT see all the resolution coming from a 1080p source.

Also...it's a 16:10 formatted machine. With that there would be two slight bars top & bottom when viewing 16:9 material unless you Zoom past the edges of the Screen's inside trim edges.

I myself often use such PJs for brightly lit commercial locations...and make no mistake...the image they can produce coming from a true 1080p source is splendid.

.......but it will never be anything more than 1280 x 800 in resolution...and that my Good Fellow is nowhere near 1980 x 1080

But there are a few 3000 Lumen 1280x800 units out there...and they are about in the same price range or less. None of them have Contrast ratios over 3000:1 though...so to reclaim the perception of having deeper Blacks you must use the extra brightness by shooting onto a High Contrast Gray surface.

A great choice for you would be the Optoma GT750
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT750.htm

$799.00

You could do much worse paying much more. It's a new unit with limited distibution though.

Here's a link to several others you can compare it to.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=pop&sz=15

Then there is this one....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Vivitek-D950HD.htm

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nads123 /forum/post/20888625

Thanks for the reply.

How does the GT750 match with the HD71 in terms of image quality?

As stated...with a High Contrast surface...it would eat it alive for breakfast and crap it out by lunchtime.

Then there is this one....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Vivitek-D950HD.htm

....and it's true 1080p Brother....for just $999.00

It would smoke the HD71 shooting onto the right screen surface.

This just in....$929.00 here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...media_DLP.html

I just might have to get me one-o-dose!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
How about the Benq W6000. Its 1080p and is rated at 2500 lumens....of course calibrated it is less lumens but what projector isn't. Put this together with a high power screen and it will be plenty bright during the day. These are going for $1499 currently at a forum sponsor and when not on sale you can get a refurbished for that amount.

Mike

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
Well....if we focus on the stated desire of keeping the price at/below $1300.00, as well as the TS's stating that the HD71's 2400 lumens was not enough...I'd say it would not be a good substitution. One thing about BenQs...after calibration their brightness doesn't just drop...it falls off a cliff.

And in no way is the use of a High Power screen a viable solution in that it would do nada as far as preserving or helping with improving the perception of having better contrast. Of course when mated with a PJ w/50K:1 Dynamic CR, such a screen would have less to do...and do more with what it receives...I'll grant you that. But there is the sticking point that the TS would have to also shell out several $100s for that Screen as well.

Oops...there goes the 'ol Budget!

If the TS needs to re-coat is existing screen to make it into a +1.0 gain High Contrast Gray surface...well all he needs to do is traipse over to; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=110 ....and we'll fix 'em right up. For pennies to the dollar's worth of performance too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Important Notice!

Estimated arrival at B&H is 7-14 business days. An authorization for this product will be processed upon placing the order. Your order will only be charged at time of shipment.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan
Well....if we focus on the stated desire of keeping the price at/below $1300.00, as well as the TS's stating that the HD71's 2400 lumens was not enough...I'd say it would not be a good substitution. One thing about BenQs...after calibration their brightness doesn't just drop...it falls off a cliff.

And in no way is the use of a High Power screen a viable solution in that it would do nada as far as preserving or helping with improving the perception of having better contrast. Of course when mated with a PJ w/50K:1 Dynamic CR, such a screen would have less to do...and do more with what it receives...I'll grant you that. But there is the sticking point that the TS would have to also shell out several $100s for that Screen as well.

Oops...there goes the 'ol Budget!

If the TS needs to re-coat is existing screen to make it into a +1.0 gain High Contrast Gray surface...well all he needs to do is traipse over to; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=110 ....and we'll fix 'em right up. For pennies to the dollar's worth of performance too!
Well, he needs to be flexible with his price if he really wants a native 1080p projector with 2600 lumens. If he wants a 720p projector with 2600 lumens then I guess he can find one. I was just trying to get him close with a 1080p that is among the brightest. I maybe should have suggested the Benq 891 when calibrated might be closer to 2600 lumens than the Benq W6000 which is suppose to be around 1000 lumens calibrated. I have seen the 891 around $1500 refurbished.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k
amazon has 1 left and can be overnighted if you order in the next 4 hours.

I live in canada so they're charging me 200 bucks more :/

Any other (more popular) alternatives to the Vivitek D950HD ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.