AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be used for gaming with xbox360, etc? (posting for a friend).

All suggestions and opinions appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Define small ....

I just picked up a Samsung 16:9 23" HD LCD (LN-R238W) set that suits me as a bedroom unit. It can also be connected to a PC thru S-video or DVI.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Define "small budget" ....

I just picked up a Samsung 16:9 23" HD LCD (LN-R238W) set that suits me as a bedroom unit. It can also be connected to a PC thru S-video or DVI.

YMMV

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll second the Dell notion.

Either the 20.1" Widescreen or the 24" Widescreen.

If you get the right deal on the right day, you can get the 20.1" for around $400 and change, and the 24" for around $800.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Being new to Flat Panel LCD screens, do these suffer from burn-in issues at all like plasmas? I just got the Samsung LN-R238W and was curious about that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been looking at the Toshiba 20HL85 as a computer monitor and office TV. I would be interested to see reviews.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So none of you have noticed problems with console gaming and delay on the LN-R238W? I've seen a lot of reviews for this set saying stay away if you plan to use it for that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

I've been looking to buy something similar for a while and I did not find anything really suitable until yesterday.

The Dell 24†is just “okâ€. It has lots for ghosting with fast action games and lots video noise on DVD playback. If I spend all that money I want something great not “okâ€.

Anyway yesterday Gateway launched a new 21†display FPD2185W that seems getting to the point. Check it out on the gateway website.

The main characteristics that attracted my attention are:

Response time: 8ms (this should provide no ghosting at all for our games ;))

DCDi: which should provide great image quality on video and DVDS.

Include HTCP: This means that you can view HDTV on the monitor too. This is the first PC monitor to support this.

Picture in the picture: Always cool watching football whilst you surf the net ;)

Resolution: 1680-1050

Price: $599

On the paper it has everything to outstand the competition but off course I’d like to see how it works in practice. Since it is new I could not find any review yet.

Anyway so far this seems the ideal solution for your objective. …and mine…:D

Z.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Toshiba 20HL85 as a computer monitor and HDTV??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike231
Does anyone have any experience with the Toshiba 20HL85 as a computer monitor and HDTV??

I purchased the 20HL85 for my bedroom. I haven't hooked up a high def signal or PC to it yet. However, the cable analogue picture looks good to me. However, changing channels is extremely painful. It takes a good two seconds to tune the channel after changing the channel with the remote. I might put up with this and get a cable box though. Wife has to let me do this though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.