AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for high quality 2.1 speakers to connect to my sound card (GameTheater XP). I 95% of the time listen to music.

Please suggest some speakers, i'm looking for really crystal-clear sound. I listen to rock and jazz, if it makes any difference.

I'm willing to spend up to $500-$600, but no more.

I'm a complete newb, and this seems like the best place to ask for advice.

Any input is much appriciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Monsoon speaks are really good for music, and I know that they're cheapest set of 2.1s are under $100 retail. You might be able to audition them at a CompUSA (maybe even bring in a portable CD or MP3 player with you and swap out their input cable ;-p). I believe they've got two grades of 2.1 systems, so if you're wanting to spend more, the higher model would likely be a good match for straight PC sound.

Otherwise, I'd mostly steer clear of PC speaker sets. Maybe pick up a cheap receiver and run some real speakers. I'm actually using a subwoofer cannibalized from a Creative Inpire 4.1 set as an amp (I've got the sub level turned to 0 as it sounds like just as much crap as the rest of the Creative line of speakers). I've got a stereo split cable from Radio Shack going from my sound card into the front and rear channel inputs on the sub. Then I've got a pair of 2 RCA male to 1 RCA female adapters that my speaker cables are connected to. The point is to get twice the power of just using the front channel amp. I'm using that to run a pair of huge old Fisher floor standers (that were bequeathed to me), so for a few bucks in cables and pawn shop leavings, I've got decent sound that I can make big if the occassion calls for it.

Anyway, the point of that is for the budget you're proposing, you can afford to get a low end receiver and then choose the speaks that you feel sound the best to match it with. Another plus would be that your Game Theater can connect digitally to a receiver, so you can keep all your sound in the digital domain until it hits the amp instead of gathering up signal noise from your card's (or in this case, break out box's) little onboard amplifier. The receiver would also provide you with a touch of an upgrade path if you so desired it later. You could easily add speaks to it for surround sound, or us it for video switching if you use your PC for DScaler or vid cap.

Lots of things to consider. Enjoy =->

Kensai

·
Registered
674 Posts
The Monsoon MH-502's are great for $75 + S&H for a 2.1 setup in multimedia...

The Altec Lansing 621's, which are about $100 + S&H for a 2.1 setup, are the next step up in multimedia.

The Diva Swan M-200's, an incredible $200 + S&H 2.0 setup (that happens to have the same size drivers in the sattelites as the .1 bass unit in the MH-505's...which is bigger than the .1 in the 502's...) is the next step up in multimedia. In other words, the drivers in the m-200's sattelites is as big as monsoon's premium sub driver in their 5.1 system, and bigger than their premium sub driver in their 2.1 system.

Then, for $900, we have the Videologic Sirocco Pro's, which are a 2.1 setup in multimedia.

As you can see, there is a spot that can be filled for a 2.0 bookshelf system. In fact, it should be fairly easy to surpass the music quality of the Sirocco Pro's for $700 or so... a lot of the price of the pro's is importing them from Europe and for all of the electronics, which is a bunch of studio stuff that you won't need....

All you would need is a high quality integrated amplifier (that's an amp and preamp in one, which is what you need), and a set of magnetically shielded, front ported or non-ported bookshelf speakers with hopefully 6.5" drivers, for a grand total of $600 after shipping....

You should consider selling your game theater xp and buying a turtle beach santa cruz. That might give you more money to play with. Ever thought of that?

Oh, by the way....

YOU WILL NEED TO INCLUDE AN INTEGRATED AMP IN THAT BUDGET. Thanks. just reminding you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gluegun - thanks for that informative reply.

I'm hearing great thing about the Diva Swan M-200's, so i'll try to look for those (I hardly believe i'll be able to get them as I live in Israel)

What high quality integrated amplifier would you recommend?

Also, will I need to get a sub?

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
With the Swans, I'm going to doubt you'll really need a sub. They're full range speaks. Most PC speakers are just mid and high range capable sattelites so you've got to have a sub to fill in the low frequencies (that's generally what happens when you've got tiny speakers). The Swans are real speakers, but just integrate an amp so that they're convenient to use as PC speakers. If I didn't already have better speakers, they would have been on my list of things to consider for my office.

Kensai

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.