AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to complete my 2.1 setup, and I am searching for a quality amp for around $250. I am going to mate this with a USP-1, so the obvious choice would be to buy a UPA-2. They are on sale at Emotiva but it is over my budget, so I am considering going for something used. I was wondering if there are any good alternatives I can look for. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have Emo UPA-2 and pretty happy with it. But I just bought an Audio Source Amp100, and in terms of sound quality there's no difference that I can tell. Build quality is a different story though. The Amp210 is an 80wpc, according to JR.com, selling for $250. Another choice is the Onkyo M-282 100wpc at $200. I haven't seen or heard it, but it seems pretty well built and it has a 12v trigger.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Onkyo amp may be exactly what I need. So there shouldnt be too much of a difference between that and the UPA-2 right? Besides build quality I assume. I know the UPA-2 is rated at 125w x2, but this is for an home office so huge power is not required.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The extra 25w doesn't make much of a difference. Sound quality wise I think the Onkyo will do just fine. It's going for $199 on JR.com. Yup it's not rated at 4 ohm, so it's not a safe bet for 4 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I have the AudioSource Amp110, and I have no problem suggesting it. Great amp, plenty of power. If you search for a thread called Measuring Amps, in the DIY forum, you'll see an older model was pretty accurately spec'd too.

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/19655885

The Behringer A500 is an excellent suggestion. It won't win any beauty contest but it does sound good.

http://www.matrixhifi.com/contenedor_ppec_eng.htm

Not too concerned with the looks, although I think its pretty cool looking. Do you think this would be a better unit than the Onkyo amp?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Look at used Adcom 545's, Parasound HCA1000A. I just picked up a Crown XLS 402D for $199 shipped (new).

Threw a $0.60 10 watt 100ohm resistor in to slow down the fans. Does great. I also own Parasound/Adcom/Behringer.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
i use one of these, pioneer a35r , in my wife's home office...

4 ohm stable... nice little piece...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.