AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wow, I don't know man I would probably budget $600 for nothing but speakers if that's what your main goal is. This looks like a glorified HTiB.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But aren't these sort of speakers supposed to simulate surround sound? I remember first hearing about them a while back when Yamaha was demoing it. I obviously don't expect it to be in the same ballpark as a regular set up but I may be willing to pay the price if it does a good enough job and still small as they are

·
Banned
181 Posts
The speakers themselves don't simulate suround sound. They just reproduce what the receiver is feeding them. The receiver processes the audio signal in a way to try to create a surround set affect. A lot of receivers on the market have this capability. Youwould be better off getting a regular receiver and buy some decent speakers at that price point. For instance, you can get a nice X-LS/X-sub 2.1 pairing from ********** and then buy a refurb Onkyo 304 from shoponkyo.com for about the same price. This would be vastly superior in sound quality to the Sony. There are several other options that would work as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You've got to decide what a "good enough job" is. In my personal experience, simulated surround (like what comes from the system you describe) sounds cool...but it doesn't compare to a more conventional setup. I got my floorstanding towers (Infinity Beta 50's) for less than the cost of one of those simulated surround systems and they give just as good of a simulated surround effect. And as far as a full 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 setup vs. simulated surround systems...there's no comparison.

Of course there are aesthetic concerns, also. So if you absolutely must have 2 small speakers that are unobtrusive and you're just looking for decent performance, the Sonys (or Boses or whatever you choose) are probably OK. You just have to decide what you want out of your setup.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ok I'll look into some options. I was looking at a receiver the other day but quickly started getting into the $1,000 arena without speakers. Trust me, if you saw my room, it would be overkill. I just wanted to get better (and louder) sound out of my Sony XBR lcd.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k /forum/post/0

Ok ok I'll look into some options. I was looking at a receiver the other day but quickly started getting into the $1,000 arena without speakers. Trust me, if you saw my room, it would be overkill. I just wanted to get better (and louder) sound out of my Sony XBR lcd.

Wow. What kind of receivers were you looking at? You can get a decent receiver and a decent pair of bookshelves (or towers for that matter...or a full 5.1 setup) for WAY under $1000.

For example, my first 5.1 setup was a closeout Yamaha receiver ($240) from BB, 3 pairs of Insignia bookshelves (3 x $50) from BB, and an Athena 10" sub from amazon ($170 shipped after amazon VISA discount). That's just a shade over $500. If I had it to do over again, I would have saved the $320 I spent on the sub and sats and bought a couple of AV123 X-series bookshelves and then upgraded from there.

Read through the forum. There are a LOT of good ideas on here. And you'll be really surprised at how much good equipment you can get for a lot less than you would think.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsammy /forum/post/0

Wow. What kind of receivers were you looking at? You can get a decent receiver and a decent pair of bookshelves (or towers for that matter) for WAY under $1000.

Definitely a superior choice.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought mine on-line at Futureshop in a fit of weakness brought about by their crazy Boxing Day deals. I payed a paltry $299, but seeing as how I purchased the Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 and Logitech Harmony 880 a week beforehand I had every intention of returning it when it arrived on my doorstep. Before I tell you my thoughts, let me illustrate my situation and biases.

1) I really didn't want to buy a Sony TV or surround system and never bought Sony products in my life. I always thought they were priced to high relative to performance/qaulity. I had my heart on a Samsung TV but after much deliberation and research walked out with a Sony. It's simply the best bang for your buck given #2.

2) I don't buy bleeding edge. I tend to purchase best ratio between price/performance.

3) My preference for audio was Onkyo or Yamaha. Again - not Sony.

4) I have a small home video viewing area - about 12 x 10 or so.

5) My home theatre set-up of TV and DAV-X1 is not optimally set up to say the least. Currently, the speakers sit perpendicular to the viewer which negates the virtual surround capability (It's the only place I can keep it up and away from my kids) so I won't comment specifically on the surround.

6) I'm not an audiophile or videophile. I like a good home theatre experience but don't spend time reducing the sounds to their basic components.

As for first impressions...the main unit looks stylish, is a bit shorter in width from a standard DVD but a bit deeper and thicker in height. The speakers are tiny. I have mine hiding within some books on a bookshelf so they are almost invisible. The subwoofer is huge in comparision. I wasn't prepared for the size relative to the rest. That may complicate a compact setup though I hid mine behind a chair in the corner. It feels heavy and made of solid material. The speaker connectors are proprietary. You won't be able to use them elsewhere and are limited to placing them within the wire's length for that reason. I estimate though they are 15- 20 feet for each speaker and sub so you shouldn't have a problem for small environs that this unit was intended for.

As you probably guessed, I didn't return it. This little package impressed the heck out of me. The combination of Bravia and DAV-X1 has turned me into a Sony fan. Here's why :

1) The 1080i upscaling through HDMI looks incredible. The colors are much more crisp and lines more definate than my other current Sony DVD player that pumps out at 480i. Cars or the Incredibles for example are stunning. Even Gladiator looked impressive and richer than normal.

2) The sub rocks. It has such impressive depth and range of sounds that it truly sounds like being in a theatre. It pulls you out of your seat at times as a result. The speakers themselves don't seem to be that out of the ordinary (but again I am not optimally set up).

3) There are many reviews (Cnet etc) that say the surround is quite good when you are seated right in the middle of the sound path. I can't make this claim obviously but I can tell you that the whole sound experience definately good.

4) The unit is stylish, looks great and is inobtrusive.

This unit will appeal to those that have space constraints, want a single, good-looking, clean unit without many wires. Much like wine, I am not an audio conniseaur but I know what I like! I like the Dav-X1 very much and think you will to if you aren't to picky and want a good decent home theatre experience. That said, I wouldn't pay the $700 list price this retails for. YOu would be better getting a more versatile and capable receiver with your choice of sub and speakers. But for

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have this unit also and like it very much for what it is. I want to get a blue-ray player and run the audio through this machine. I would end up completely using the blue-ray for all types of dvd's therefore making the dav-x1 player obsolete except for using it for sound. I also run my tv satellite box through the dav-x1 also.

So my question is, can I hookup a blu-ray player to the dav-x1?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The DAv has no HDMI in. That's another limitation. It does have optical and coaxial audio in's. In theory, you can run the HDMI directly to the TV (from BR player) and run the audio out from your Blu-Ray player into the Optical In. Just keep your TV on mute so it doesn't compete with the Dav. You can also automate the switching using a Logitech Harmony remote. I'm going to be doing this exact same setup from my DSM-750 when the cables arrive in the mail. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried as per above. This worked like a charm. As an aside, I did have to use an HDMI switch (Monoprice brand, $29 or so) as I only have 2 HDMI In's on my Bravia. Worked great and my Logitech Harmony works with it seemlessly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts