AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post but I have been lurking for a few months now. I'm hoping some of you can help me narrow down my options for my new TV. I have been reading up a lot in this forum and have gone through most of the LCD/Plasma FAQ thread.

Basically I'm looking for a 32" or a 37" in the $1400-$2000 price range, but I would like to stay around $1500 if possible (so it most likely will be a 32"). At first I was looking at Dell because they were offering one year no interest financing but after reading some reviews, I'm prob going to stay away from them.

I am def considering making the purchase from Costco because of thier return policy. I also have friends that work at 6th Ave and Electronics Expo so I will most likely buy from one of those three places.

Models I am considering so far:

Panasonic TC32LX50

Philips 32RF5320

Samsung LNR328W

Sharp LC32D5U (whats the diff between 5U, 6U, and 7U?)

This will be going into my new bedroom and I would def want to be able to hook it up as a pc or mac monitor. Also, I'd like the picture to be good on regular SD cable.

Reading around these forums has helped me learn more about lcd's, but now I am more confused on which one to buy. But I guess in the end, I will make a more knowledgable decision.

Thanks for any input :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I stumbled upon the Sharp confusion thread and it clarified some of the model number question I had.

Circuit City is offering the LC32DA5U for a good price, but I really wanted the DVI input. What are my other options for connecting the TV as a pc monitor if there is no DVI input?

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you like the Sharp, take a look at the HP 3200N. It's a Sharp panel, but with extra features such as CMS and DVI input, which would suit your needs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my Syntax LT32HVE has dvi vga and reg inputs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to stay with a big brand name. Just is case of any warranty issues..

The LG sounds good but I don't really like the way it looks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't leave out the HP LC3700. I saw one at CompUsa and it look just as good if not better than the other LCD Tvs on display.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just purchased the Philips 32PF7320A for bedroom TV and am really happy with it. Search the forums for reviews/opinions on this set and make sure to go check it out in person. My local Best Buy and Costco both had this set.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up going with the Samsung LNR3228W. It came between that one and the Sharp LC-32D5U and I went with the Samsung because it was less expensive and I think the SD picture will be better on it. Neither have DVI but I couldnt justify the $400 price difference just for DVI and cablecard (which I don't need).

Did I make a wise decision? This model is the newer of the Samsung's which is all black, even the speakers. i kind of liked the silver but I'm sure I'll get used to it :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually after some more research I realized the silver speaker model has pretty much the same specs so I'm going to go exchange it later today for the LNR328W.

·
Registered
864 Posts
JmakVR6

Don't bother considering 32". Get a 37" with 1920x1080 native resolution for under $$$ US. I just bought a BenQ DV3750 1920x1080 1080i/720p LCD TV. Its detail and 3D depth perception are really mind blowing. I hooked it up via DVI using Motorola 6200 HD converter, HD channels are simply beatufiul: bright, sharp, great depth, 3D like.

EDIT>>

mod note: no price talk, please. Thanks

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
jmakvr6

I stick with a Sharp. They make a good product. How important is it for you to buy right now? I bought a lc37d5u at the end of August and if it goes the same as last year thats when Costco gets there Sharps in. I have a good hunch that with the introduction of the new 1080P panels the price of the current Sharps will drop dramatically. And with the size of a 37inch LCD don't worry about the 1080P you won't see the difference between 1080P and 720P IMO. Also you'll be able to pick up a 37inch Sharp for a great price then. Watch carefully because when I bought mine I read here that they bought 2000 sets and they were gone in in just a few days. Just depends on how bad you need a TV? Hope this is good advice.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omikron
JmakVR6

Don't bother considering 32". Get a 37" with 1920x1080 native resolution for under $$$ US. I just bought a BenQ DV3750 1920x1080 1080i/720p LCD TV. Its detail and 3D depth perception are really mind blowing. I hooked it up via DVI using Motorola 6200 HD converter, HD channels are simply beatufiul: bright, sharp, great depth, 3D like.

EDIT>>

mod note: no price talk, please. Thanks
Sorry to post to an old thread, but about that BenQ-"Resolution 1920 x 1080 (Panel Native Resolution)

PC (16:9) Max. Resolution: 1366x768"

What does that mean, the max resolution is lower than the Native resolution?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.