AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at an ultrashort throw but i dont see any that are ceiling mount, they seem to be mounted from an arm coming off the wall, which i do not want.

I want to be able to do at least a 100" 16:9 screen.

The farthest i can mount it is 6 feet back because of a ceiling fan.

Needs to be on the ceiling.

Ceiling is 10ft tall, i want the screen to be about 4ft down, so need to make sure the projector can do this angle also.

Any recommendations? Room has a lot of ambient light during the day, so brighter the better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remove the ceiling fan. itll look weird with the projector near it anyway.
wish i could, but its staying, hence why i asked the specific question if there is something available that will work for me.

curious how much a UST projector if mounted on the ceiling will project down, or if it will only go like 16" from the bottom of the projector

·
Registered
67 Posts
placement of an ust needs to be very exact unless youre spending $10k. you can check individual offsets on projectorcentral.com but I dont think any will go nearly that far and it would be very difficult to get it perfect even if it had basic lens shift. Also most of them wont do ceiling mount. 4k options are limited further. Ive set up hundreds commercially.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Was looking at an ultrashort throw but i dont see any that are ceiling mount, they seem to be mounted from an arm coming off the wall, which i do not want.

Ceiling is 10ft tall, i want the screen to be about 4ft down, so need to make sure the projector can do this angle also.

Any recommendations? Room has a lot of ambient light during the day, so brighter the better.
Projectors are for dark room viewing, so some black out blinds will be required.

You can't decide on a screen size until you've used the projector on the wall for a while. It partially depends on the seating distance.

Projector should be level with the floor, no keystone. Keystone is software and will degrade the image.

An 100" from 6' would require a throw of ~0.8x. There are no 4K with that throw ratio in under $3K segment, except for UST. There are 1080p with that throw.

Can the projector be placed after the fan?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

The Optoma GT1090HDR is a ST laser projector, that will accept 4K HDR signals and output 1080P HDR. it will display a ~100in image from 3Ft 8in:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT1090HDR-projection-calculator-pro.htm (The GT1080HDR is similar but has a bulb)

it is very bright. You would use a ceiling mount with a ~3ft extension to bring the top of image to ~4ft from the ceiling.

BenQ makes a true 4K ST laser projector, the LK953ST:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-LK953ST-projection-calculator-pro.htm

but it's somewhat more money. Occasionally they are available as refurbs.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I would get the largest flat screen TV you can afford. What your trying to do is impractical and if even possible will result in a very mediocre presentation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would get the largest flat screen TV you can afford. What your trying to do is impractical and if even possible will result in a very mediocre presentation.
i have an 85" samsung currently and it has so much glare during the day, was hoping a projector would have less glare, but will the picture really wash out that much?

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
i have an 85" samsung currently and it has so much glare during the day, was hoping a projector would have less glare, but will the picture really wash out that much?
Yes, if you have that much ambient light bouncing around a projector screen is going to be totally washed out. Projectors need a fair amount of light control to work. There are TV's with less reflective screens.

·
Registered
728 Posts

I understand LG and Optima ultra short throws can be ceiling mounted with special hardware...call LG and Optima for your options. I've seen the LG side by side with the Epson 5050 and it's very impressive and very bright. Definitely worth ceiling mounting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts