AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally moving into a house (yay!) from my apartment and I think it's time to upgrade the home theater speakers... I currently have JBL S36 mains, S-Center, N24 surrounds, a Velodyne CHT12 sub, running through a Sony STR-DG910 receiver. I think it sounds pretty okay, but the S36's sweet spot is really small. If you're not in JUST the right spot, the quality really falls off. My plan is to keep the sub and receiver and replace the 5 speakers. I'd like to go with floor standing speakers (mainly for the aesthetics), but I guess I'm open to bookshelf's on nice stands. The room is about 15x15 with a tile floor

Listening will be about 70% movies/HDTV and 30% music. I don't pretend to be an audiophile, but I'd like to think I can appreciate nice sound. :)

I'd like to stick under the $1500 point... With Internet shopping, here's what I've come up with so far.

Infinity - Beta 50 main, C360 center, Beta 10 surround - $1100

Ascend Acoustics - CMT340SE main/center, CBM-170SE surround - $1200

Axiom Audio - M50 main, VP150 center, M2 surround - $1400

Polk Audio - RTiA5 main, CSi A6 center, RTi A1 surround - $1400

Klipsch - Reference RF-62 main, RC-52 center, RB-51 surround - $1500

I looked at AV123's "Rocket" series, but they're just so ugly I don't think I could have them in my living room, haha. I looked at their X-series, but I can't see paying that much for speakers with paper cones.

I'd LOVE to build something around the KEF IQ7, but they're just too expensive. Soooo pretty though!

Right now I think I'm leaning toward the Axioms. They seem to get great reviews and I think they look nice too. Unfortunately, Tampa doesn't seem like a hotbed of audio activity, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to audition any of these in person...

So, any other recommendations? Or any input on my short list?

Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 /forum/post/12967491

I'm finally moving into a house (yay!) from my apartment and I think it's time to upgrade the home theater speakers... I currently have JBL S36 mains, S-Center, N24 surrounds, a Velodyne CHT12 sub, running through a Sony STR-DG910 receiver. I think it sounds pretty okay, but the S36's sweet spot is really small. If you're not in JUST the right spot, the quality really falls off. My plan is to keep the sub and receiver and replace the 5 speakers. I'd like to go with floor standing speakers (mainly for the aesthetics), but I guess I'm open to bookshelf's on nice stands. The room is about 15x15 with a tile floor

Listening will be about 70% movies/HDTV and 30% music. I don't pretend to be an audiophile, but I'd like to think I can appreciate nice sound. :)

I'd like to stick under the $1500 point... With Internet shopping, here's what I've come up with so far.

Infinity - Beta 50 main, C360 center, Beta 10 surround - $1100

Ascend Acoustics - CMT340SE main/center, CBM-170SE surround - $1200

Axiom Audio - M50 main, VP150 center, M2 surround - $1400

Polk Audio - RTiA5 main, CSi A6 center, RTi A1 surround - $1400

Klipsch - Reference RF-62 main, RC-52 center, RB-51 surround - $1500

I looked at AV123's "Rocket" series, but they're just so ugly I don't think I could have them in my living room, haha. I looked at their X-series, but I can't see paying that much for speakers with paper cones.

I'd LOVE to build something around the KEF IQ7, but they're just too expensive. Soooo pretty though!

Right now I think I'm leaning toward the Axioms. They seem to get great reviews and I think they look nice too. Unfortunately, Tampa doesn't seem like a hotbed of audio activity, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to audition any of these in person...

So, any other recommendations? Or any input on my short list?

Thanks!

Add Aperion to your list. they have quite a few set ups w/in your budget. free shipping, no tax, free return shipping if you're not satisfied (w/in 30 days). Really can't lose anything but time.

~G

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check the psb Alpha line. You can choose between bookshelf or tower L&R's and still stay within your budget. I have a pair of B1's, C1 center, S (now discontinued and replaced by the LR1), and a SubZero 5i sub. With patience and lots of research, I was able to get a complete 5.1 system for less than $900.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdokc /forum/post/12972506

Check the psb Alpha line. You can choose between bookshelf or tower L&R's and still stay within you budget. I have a pair of B1's, C1 center, S (now discontinued and replaced by the LR1), and a SubZero 5i sub. With patience and lots of research, I was able to get a complete 5.1 system for less than $900.

You can get a complete PSB Image T45/C40/B15 set for $947.00 in maple or $1146.00 in black.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/12972615

You can get a complete PSB Image T45/C40/B15 set for $947.00 in maple or $1146.00 in black.

Would that be from saturdayaudio? I know you had a good buying experience with them PR.

I guess I have become a psb fanboy......

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdokc /forum/post/12972650

Would that be from saturdayaudio? I know you had a good buying experience with them PR.

I guess I have become a psb fanboy......

Yep, SA...My experience with them was a very "bad one". When I ordered my speakers they ran out of B15's. and gave me the B25's for the same price as B15. When I hooked them up, the B25 where almost as good as my T45 I purchased for mains, so I ordered a pair of Alpha LR1 from SA for rears, and used the B25 as mains in a music only system for my living room. Found that SA was also a NAD dealer, and bought from them a C315BEE amp from SA for my living room 2-Ch. system; best price anywhere.

As you can see, from SA changing my B15's to B25's as a courtesy and at no extra charge, they racked up $425.00 in extra sales.

How many times in your life can you say that you love a company after they made you buy extra stuff you didn't need???? Leaving all joking aside, their service is great and they are very honest. They refused to quote Monitor Audio Silver newest version, as there is a local dealer; they would only quote clearance Silver series.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jaball77,

I live in the Tampa area and am selling the Ascend 340SE Mains with TP-24 stands for $525.00. I purchased them in May 2006. They are in as new condition. I upgraded to the Sierras, but in my view the 340SE's are an outstanding value. If you decide to go with the Ascends you can save on both product and shipping costs. Please PM if you have any interest.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sooooo many choices!

I'm not sure if my choice is harder or easier now, haha. I have no idea what I'm going to do...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I listened to a couple more speakers this week and I made a choice!

I listened to some BG Z-7's (5" woofer floorstanders with a ribbon tweeter), which were interesting... Excellent imaging, very clear and detailed, but lacking in mid- and low-end...and not cheap.

After being repeatedly blown off by Sensuous Sound in Tampa, I drove down to Bradenton and listened to the new Paradigm Monitors there. I was blown away. Just as detailed as the BG's (though not quite the transparency), way more dynamic, and cheaper. The low frequency is amazing considering they're only 6.25" drivers...

So I put in my order for a pair of Monitor 9's, a CC290 center, and a pair of ADP190 dipole surrounds. It's a bit above my earlier stated price goal, but what's a couple hundred bucks?

·
Registered
684 Posts
"After being repeatedly blown off by Sensuous Sound in Tampa" (jaball77)

It Just happened to me too, today! Sensuous Sound in Tampa 10/2008

I stood there for 20 minutes and finally got the "What's up" (professional greeting) and stood there alone for another 15 minutes and left. I spent 14k (thousand) today, elsewhere. Maybe it was the loaner minivan as my car was being worked on. What ever it was, I would rather find out now, then after the purchase. My Pregnant wife even went back to complain. She totally deballed me, I wanted to just Go, Fight or Steal something, as I was so disgusted

I dont want special treatment, just normal crapy "Best Buy" treatment and I am good. It Looks like a 30 year old dark Rat Hole with nice equipment. Like they stole it! The "The whats up greeting" was as if I caught them.

Hope they read here!
As if they care...

PS

Sierra-1's for an inexpensive sound on this old thread. To keep on topic.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 /forum/post/13143885

I listened to a couple more speakers this week and I made a choice!

I listened to some BG Z-7's (5" woofer floorstanders with a ribbon tweeter), which were interesting... Excellent imaging, very clear and detailed, but lacking in mid- and low-end...and not cheap.

After being repeatedly blown off by Sensuous Sound in Tampa, I drove down to Bradenton and listened to the new Paradigm Monitors there. I was blown away. Just as detailed as the BG's (though not quite the transparency), way more dynamic, and cheaper. The low frequency is amazing considering they're only 6.25" drivers...

So I put in my order for a pair of Monitor 9's, a CC290 center, and a pair of ADP190 dipole surrounds. It's a bit above my earlier stated price goal, but what's a couple hundred bucks?

If you can squeeze the budget, the adp 390's are WAY better than the 190's

I have the Titan's with the cc 290 and I am VERY happy with my purchase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts