AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've settled on the Onkyo 308 for 200 from Newegg; however, there's also a 508 for an extra 50 bucks. Worth the price diff?

Now I've also got a bit of a quandry on the speakers. It's a pretty small room...about 10x13 and I've essentially narrowed it to the following:

Polk RM6750 for 200

or

Infiniti TSS-800 for 280

Everyone seems to love the Polks, but can they really compete with the TSS that was originally in a different class price wise? Not a ton of reviews on the TSS.

I'm leaning towards the 308 with the Infinitis, but maybe someone will know of a better sounding system for the price that I'm not aware of...

Just curious if any experts that are far more knowledgeable than I can make sense of it all. I appreciate any advice or help in advance.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
I'm not sure the Infinity TSS-800 is really in a different class than the Polk RM 6750. That Polk 6700/6750 model has been around about 8 years and originally cost much more that what you see now. Over the years the price has dropped. Polk's site says this model is discontinued but you see them in stores and online new all the time.

The 10" sub might be a little better in the Infinity though.

I'd rather have Onkyo 508 over the 308 because of the Audyssey 2EQ, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ. Audyssey really helps when calibrating your speakers for your room. Onkyo 308 doesn't have Audyssey at all.

You might also want to look at the Pioneer VSX-820 which is less than $20 more than the 308. Has its own room calibration software called MCACC and also a USB port for iPod/iPhone. Plus it doesn't have the heat issues that Onkyo's seem to be known for.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-82...1491940&sr=8-1

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've heard the RM6750 (years ago) and it wasn't a bad 1st bedroom system for the price. If you go with them I'd look at this with a long term plan to upgrade from there though. With that in mind plus the advantages of Audyssey I'd probably spend on the 508, I'd take that over the Pioneer as well. My first down the road upgrade would be to buy a better subwoofer.

It looks like the Infinity has a bit better sub but (150w vs 50w) but how much better I don't know I haven't heard it. Neither system has a great frequency response. Is there someplace you can listen to them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the opinions. This is all online and I live in the middle of nowhere...I just wanted to get something to go with my plasma, mainly for movies, TV, and games and I kinda found myself down the rabbit hole, lol.

Sifting through receivers is brutal...I'd looked at the Pioneer, the Denon 391, both the Onkyos...now I'm pondering the Yamaha 467 as well. I was a bit concerned with some of the issues reported on the Onkyos, so I'm certainly not locked into them, despite my previous post

I doubt I'll upgrade for a very, very long time, so I'm looking for (obviously) the best bang for the buck. I just assumed, perhaps erroneously, that speakers that retailed at 800 bucks would be better than the polks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu2301
Sifting through receivers is brutal...I'd looked at the Pioneer, the Denon 391, both the Onkyos...now I'm pondering the Yamaha 467 as well. I was a bit concerned with some of the issues reported on the Onkyos, so I'm certainly not locked into them, despite my previous post
There is a lot of hot air in the forums about Onkyos and that's all most of it is. The only two Onkyos that I'm aware of that had issues were (1 year) the SR806 and the rc180. Those were a transition year and had issues. I own a 606, 707, and 906 and they have been flawless. Two of those I bought refurbished from Accessories For Less and again they are flawless. Onkyos do put out some heat because they actually have large enough (compare weight) transformers to put out their rated output into 2 channels from 20-20khz, something that many don't do.

Quote:
I doubt I'll upgrade for a very, very long time, so I'm looking for (obviously) the best bang for the buck. I just assumed, perhaps erroneously, that speakers that retailed at 800 bucks would be better than the polks.
Honestly those polks aren't all that good and the subwoofer sucks. I'd keep researching a bit longer before pulling the trigger. Just keep in mind that although the Infinity sub has more power neither will go deep enough to really shake the room.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling
There is a lot of hot air in the forums about Onkyos and that's all most of it is. The only two Onkyos that I'm aware of that had issues were (1 year) the SR806 and the rc180. Those were a transition year and had issues. I own a 606, 707, and 906 and they have been flawless. Two of those I bought refurbished from Accessories For Less and again they are flawless. Onkyos do put out some heat because they actually have large enough (compare weight) transformers to put out their rated output into 2 channels from 20-20khz, something that many don't do.

Honestly those polks aren't all that good and the subwoofer sucks. I'd keep researching a bit longer before pulling the trigger. Just keep in mind that although the Infinity sub has more power neither will go deep enough to really shake the room.
You haven't read the bad HDMI board issues with the 606? Big thread about it on this forum. If you're one of the people who had to take his receiver in to get the board replaced you probably wouldn't think its a lot of hot air.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1141824

I have an Onkyo 573 and it definitley gets much warmer than my Denon or HK receivers. And its is in my office so the volume doesn't get turned up very loud.

The OP has a very low budget for a 5.1 system plus receiver. He'd actually be better off buying a couple of bookshelf speakers and inexpensive sub and his $200 receiver.
http://www.chasehometheater.com/inde...art&Itemid=106

http://www.jr.com/pioneer/pe/PIO_SPBS41LR/

Or buy some used speakers.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt
You haven't read the bad HDMI board issues with the 606? Big thread about it on this forum. If you're one of the people who had to take his receiver in to get the board replaced you probably wouldn't think its a lot of hot air.
The Denon owners with similar HDMI board issues probably felt the same way. Any receiver can die. Look up some of the horror stories of eCost Denons . I just haven't had a bit of problem with my Onkyo including refurbished Onkyos. Yes they do run warm but not excessively so and if the OP were to put it in a fully enclosed cabinet I would recommend a small fan. All that said I actually prefer Denons but the bang for the buck isn't there at $200.

Quote:
The OP has a very low budget for a 5.1 system plus receiver. He'd actually be better off buying a couple of bookshelf speakers and inexpensive sub and his $200 receiver.
I tend to agree. I usually try to convince a newbie to buy a decent budget sub and a pair of decent speakers and as time goes by add more speakers. But the $500 ceiling and no future upgrades limit makes that tough.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'd considered spending more and although money isn't really an issue:

1. I don't spend that much time in there...I've got two 60+ inch TVs in the front room that I watch a lot of stuff on

2. I'll probably be dropping quite a chunk to upgrade those speakers in the near future (which I'll be sifting through threads constantly during, no doubt)

3. I'm really not sure there's a decent place for more than satellite style speakers the way my bedroom is setup tbh. I honestly figured that anything bigger might be overkill for such a small area.

I just thought maybe those choices were a decent cost/sound ratio, which was more of a concern than truly magnificent sound, given my limited time watching stuff in there. Basically looking for something that was a pretty killer deal on the cheap

Funny you mention the low budget...I was really trying to keep it lower w/o getting a htib.

I was just curious if anyone had heard those two sets of speakers before...btw, any opinions on the jamo s413s? That's another set that seems to be quite popular and, perhaps, more loved than the polks.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
If you haven't made a decision on speakers yet take a long look at the Jamo s413 setup from vanns.com. It'll be better than any of the smaller satellite systems and comes with a subwoofer too. You'll able to set a much lower crossover with these larger speakers.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

then you'll still have $300 to get the receiver of your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts