80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remodeling the basement. I am wired for 7.1.4

Definitive procenter 2000
Definitive SM 55 x2 for the front R & L
Energy take classic x4 for the Rear surrounds
RSL C34e ceiling x4

Receiver is Denon AVR 6400

Looking for a good sub for mixed use - gaming, streaming movies and TV, live sports too

I don’t want house rumbling base - but want clean sound that fills the space well

Sealed design will keep my 3 year old from shoving things inside the subwoofer

Room is 16x16 with 9ft ceilings - opening can be closed by two barn doors

I’ve looked at SVS, heard about Hsu - but need some help

·
Registered
250 Posts
See my signature. That ran $900 and my time to build it.

Are you intended to build your own sealed box or buy a flat pack?

Is it $600 for amp and subs or $600 for subs?

inuke 3000 DSP will probably be recommended. Dual 15"ers would probably be better than one 18" but you'll probably want to go dual eventually ;-) Others can recommend sub ideas better than I. You will have people tell you to get as big of a sub as you can. Which probably means one 18" sub in your case. If you can, get the 18" sub and the inuke 6000 so you can easily go dual later.

inuke 3000 dsp: $250
inuke 6000 dsp: $350

wood: $50(self)-$100(flat pack) ... let's say $75)
fasteners: $10
paint: $30
wires: $25 (be safe here)

So the inuke 3000 route: $390 .... $210 for a sub or two
So the inuke 6000 route: $490 .... $110 for a sub

I'd personally up the budget to $750 or $800 and get the 6000. You can get a lot more bang for your buck and leave room for a second sub if planned correctly.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Remodeling the basement. I am wired for 7.1.4

Definitive procenter 2000
Definitive SM 55 x2 for the front R & L
Energy take classic x4 for the Rear surrounds
RSL C34e ceiling x4

Receiver is Denon AVR 6400

Looking for a good sub for mixed use - gaming, streaming movies and TV, live sports too

I don’t want house rumbling base - but want clean sound that fills the space well

Room is 16x16 with 9ft ceilings - opening can be closed by two barn doors

I’ve looked at SVS, heard about Hsu - but need some help
The sealed Rhytmik L12 will give you smooth clean bass with and enough oomph for HT & gaming. If you can go a little over budget, dual SVS SB-12 NSD's would provide even and smooth bass across the entire room.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html
https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB12-NSD-400-watt-Controlled-Subwoofer/dp/B009F8Y7SO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516473705&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=svs+sb12-nsd&psc=1

Reactions: jtaylor11

·
Premium Member
10,876 Posts
Brad Sobolewski said:
... Looking for a good sub for mixed use ...

Room is 16x16 with 9ft ceilings - opening can be closed by two barn doors ...
Basement, 2,304 cu.ft. - IMO that calls for ported. (The square room may benefit from duals, but that's a separate issue.)

You could go with something like:
- the Rythmik LV12R ($549, shipped) that has a rear port; or
- the Emotiva BasX S12 ($399, shipped) which as a rear slot port.

I'd wait for a sale on the $659 (regular price) Outlaw Audio Ultra X-12. It's reasonably powerful, well-rated and has both a downfiring driver and downfiring ports.

·
Registered
283 Posts
DIY probably gives you the best bang for your buck, but not everyone wants to do it (myself included). So, for the non-DIY options...

First, on ported vs. sealed, do you really need sealed? Most ported subs have a screen so the port isn't visible. Unless you're worried the little one will pull the screen off and then stuff something into the port? Is your kid really that determined? (Some are, some aren't.)

I ask because Hsu is not sealed, but they are designed to be run with stuff already in the ports and they do come with a screen, so that may be an option. The VTF-2.5 is a very good sub, with shipping pretty much right on budget, and probably the best room-filler at this price point.

If you can't live with that, but could live with a rear port (hard for the toddler to notice/get to), I'd go with the Rythmik LV12R.

If it absolutely, positively must be sealed, then the conversation turns to budget. If you can stretch to $7000 I'd get the SVS SB-2000.

If you can't stretch, then I think your two best options are the Rythmik L12 and the SVS SB-1000. The Ryhtmik goes lower, but the SVS goes louder, so it depends on which one of those you value more. The SVS is cheaper and has free shipping, but the Rythmik is still within your budget.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I second this ,

Hsu vtf2 mk5 for power , rythmik lv12r's for sq

The hsu still has excellent sound quality

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
For a 2300 ft^3 room I would go with a ported sub for your budget and usage. The SVS PB12-NSD is still available for $499.99 (Amazon), which is a slick deal. It has a metal grille, with the front port on the lower corner, so your kiddo won't be putting anything in it. Also, don't have to worry about your kid damaging a cloth grille, which most front-firing subs use. Full 5 year warranty included.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It would take 2 pb12-nsd to have the same output as one vtf2 mk5 40hz to 80hz ... Plus the vtf digs deeper ..... Imo the hsu with worth $85 more it's that much better ....

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
It would take 2 pb12-nsd to have the same output as one vtf2 mk5 40hz to 80hz ... Plus the vtf digs deeper ..... Imo the hsu with worth $85 more it's that much better ....
In order to get the lower extension similar to the PB12-NSD, the VTF-2 mk5 must be run in one port open mode. The ports on the VTF-2 are only 3", while the port on the PB12-NSD is 4". With just one 3" port, chuffing can be an issue when lower LFE is being played. Still yet, in 1 port mode (extension), the VTF-2 has less output potential than the PB12-NSD 20-30Hz. The VTF-2 does have more headroom 40 Hz and up, but you get more output at higher frequency levels anyway, so more headroom higher in range isn't as needed as it is lower in range. Either sub would be a good option based on preference, but the PB12-NSD is rock solid and I've pushed mine extremely hard and never had any real port noise issues. Plus SVS has a full 5 year warranty that HSU only offers for an additional charge.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you compare the pb12 nsd vs outlaw lfm ex in 1 port mode on data bass you'll see even in 1 port mode the outlaw has more output and extension 16-20hz .... The only advantage pb12 has is from 20hz-25z and only 1-2db.... From 25hz to 100hz the outlaw destroys the pb12 in 1 port mode 5 db +..... And the vtf2 mk5 has a slight edge in output vs the outlaw and very similar response curve which is why I'm using it as a comparison

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Also in dual port mode the vtf2 mk5 is pushing 108db @ 20hz vs the pb12 103db .... That is a significant difference... You would need dual pb12 to match/slightly exceed the output .... Again for$85 it's worth getting a sub that outputs 5-6db more across the entire range

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Also in dual port mode the vtf2 mk5 is pushing 108db @ 20hz vs the pb12 103db .... That is a significant difference... You would need dual pb12 to match/slightly exceed the output .... Again for$85 it's worth getting a sub that outputs 5-6db more across the entire range
No. The HSU numbers you are quoting are measured @ 1m peak. The SVS numbers are 2m RMS. The SVS is stronger down low.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Even though ...,..as I said if you compare the numbers of the outlaw vs the pb12 from databass ... The oultaw spanks the pb12 ... And the hsu has stronger performance than the outlaw

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You still get solid output down to 16hz-17hz with the hsu while the pb12 falls off a cliff @ 19hz

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Even though ...,..as I said if you compare the numbers of the outlaw vs the pb12 from databass ... The oultaw spanks the pb12 ... And the hsu has stronger performance than the outlaw
No. Now you are making up stuff. You need to subtract 9 dB from the Hsu numbers to get the 2m RMS equivalent. The Hsu will have more output in the midbass. This is typical of SVS vs other brands—SVS uses DSP to achieve the flattest response they can get, sacrificing some output in the midbass in the process.

Just accept and admit that you used the wrong numbers in your comparison instead of doubling down on your mistake.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts