AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are finishing our basement and are going to have a pretty sizable theater "area" (not a dedicated room unfortunately). Viewing distance will be about 16 feet. I am going to wire for a projector but will probably hold off buying one for a little while until 4K becomes more mainstream. Also don't want my wife and kids to have to deal w/ the projector so I need a good sized TV. Don't really want to spend the money for a 4K TV which is early days both in terms of standards and content. I will primarily be watching TV (Fios) and movies (Blu-Ray or Apple TV) with some light gaming on an XBox One - I have little kids so we are talking fun Kinnect games not Halo. I will likely use the Smart TV features occasionally but that's not going to be a deciding factor.

Think 75" is kind of the minimum giving my viewing distance. I have always been partial to Samsung (mostly plasmas) but at that size, if my research is accurate, I think I am basically limited to LCD's. For Samsung it appears my choice for the 2014 models is limited to the H7150 (since the H8000 won't come in 75") or if I can snag a 2013 model, I can get the F8000 or F7100. From what I have read the micro dimming on the F8000 is likely superior to both of the 71xx models with the H7150 maybe outperforming the F7100. Otherwise are there any significant picture quality considerations? I like the concept of the evolution kit on the F8000.

Other options are the Sony's which I haven't done much research on, the Sharps or the Vizios. I am probably reluctant to get a Vizio and generally have not loved Sharp's over the years. Would be fine with a Sony. Know some of the 2013 were very positively received.

I probably need to take delivery of the TV sometime in July. I recognize that if I want to snag a 2013 model I probably need to jump on it before then (like soon).

So what would people recommend? If I can get a Samsung F8000 for $4,000 to $4500 should I jump on it? Is the F7100 meaningfully worse than the F8000 if I can get one of those? And will the H7150 be a decent option (without meaningful compromises vs. the F8000) if I can't get either? Any other recommendations - Sony or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott  /t/1526238/looking-for-a-75-likely-1080p-display-by-july#post_24578530

We are finishing our basement and are going to have a pretty sizable theater "area" (not a dedicated room unfortunately). Viewing distance will be about 16 feet. I am going to wire for a projector but will probably hold off buying one for a little while until 4K becomes more mainstream. Also don't want my wife and kids to have to deal w/ the projector so I need a good sized TV. Don't really want to spend the money for a 4K TV which is early days both in terms of standards and content. I will primarily be watching TV (Fios) and movies (Blu-Ray or Apple TV) with some light gaming on an XBox One - I have little kids so we are talking fun Kinnect games not Halo. I will likely use the Smart TV features occasionally but that's not going to be a deciding factor.

Think 75" is kind of the minimum giving my viewing distance. I have always been partial to Samsung (mostly plasmas) but at that size, if my research is accurate, I think I am basically limited to LCD's. For Samsung it appears my choice for the 2014 models is limited to the H7150 (since the H8000 won't come in 75") or if I can snag a 2013 model, I can get the F8000 or F7100. From what I have read the micro dimming on the F8000 is likely superior to both of the 71xx models with the H7150 maybe outperforming the F7100. Otherwise are there any significant picture quality considerations? I like the concept of the evolution kit on the F8000.

Other options are the Sony's which I haven't done much research on, the Sharps or the Vizios. I am probably reluctant to get a Vizio and generally have not loved Sharp's over the years. Would be fine with a Sony. Know some of the 2013 were very positively received.

I probably need to take delivery of the TV sometime in July. I recognize that if I want to snag a 2013 model I probably need to jump on it before then (like soon).

So what would people recommend? If I can get a Samsung F8000 for $4,000 to $4500 should I jump on it? Is the F7100 meaningfully worse than the F8000 if I can get one of those? And will the H7150 be a decent option (without meaningful compromises vs. the F8000) if I can't get either? Any other recommendations - Sony or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.
Eric,

I like the samsung's I recently had to go through this debate as my 6 month old Panasonic plasma died and their was no replacement in terms of plasma for me I dont know what it was but the 8500 just didn't do it for me compared to my now dead zt. Both the 7100 and 8000 are gorgeous tv's but come with a hefty price tag when they jump from 65 to 75 Last time I checked the 75" 8000 was at $5500 new. You should still be able to find both though as 75" were harder to sell off the floor due to the price. With that stated Vizio M series got some decent reviews and so did the Sharp 17 but I am not a fan of either just my opinion no intention to step on any toes. The dealer at the best buy I went to who will be replacing my tv had me looking into the 2014 Sony 4k's those will come in the size your looking for and I believe the 950b will be a full array and come in 65in or 84 so thats an option it will be ready for preorder soon and be available around june I believe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts